Value of: Radko Gudas

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
The same posters that wanna trade for him are same ones that shame him when he destroys someone legally. Funny how that happens.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Would love me some Gudas on the Blues! :) I don't know what Philly would want, though. I agree with Flyers fans, it would be a bad idea to trade him now. I know it's a cliché, but he honestly is the kind of player you hate, unless he's on your team. (And I love those guys!) :D

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Sigh. HERO charts as proof that guy playing bottom pair minutes on his team (yes, I know its because of special teams) is secretly a #2D. Nope. Gudas is an excellent, and I mean excellent, bottom 3D. But thats what he is, a bottom 3D.

wish there was a way I could burn all charts:help:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Sigh. HERO charts as proof that guy playing bottom pair minutes on his team (yes, I know its because of special teams) is secretly a #2D. Nope. Gudas is an excellent, and I mean excellent, bottom 3D. But thats what he is, a bottom 3D.

Yeah, no, he's not... I posted the HERO chart for simplicity reasons, but Gudas' Shot suppression numbers are awesome.

If you ramped his ice time up to 6 on that chart, every one of the other factors probably come down by one number, which is why I called him a #2 defender.

Gudas played over 1000 minutes last season, here are the numbers he posted:

CF/60: 61. For reference, Subban posted a 59.8
CA/60: 52.5. For Reference, Hjalmarsson posted a 52.2
CF%RA: 2.1. For reference, Brent Burns postes a 2.7, Seth Jones posted a 1.9, Niskanen posted 3.1, Highest rating is Dougie Hamilton with a 5.3
CF%: 53.7%. For reference, Matties Ekholm also posted the same rating. Burns posted a 53.5%. Josi posted a 52.9%

He's a #2 defender, a #3 at worst. He's a VERY good defenseman, no matter whatever your agenda is.

Stats are from puckiq.com

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, no, he's not... I posted the HERO chart for simplicity reasons, but Gudas' Shot suppression numbers are awesome.

If you ramped his ice time up to 6 on that chart, every one of the other factors probably come down by one number, which is why I called him a #2 defender.

Gudas played over 1000 minutes last season, here are the numbers he posted:

CF/60: 61. For reference, Subban posted a 59.8
CA/60: 52.5. For Reference, Hjalmarsson posted a 52.2
CF%RA: 2.1. For reference, Brent Burns postes a 2.7, Seth Jones posted a 1.9, Niskanen posted 3.1, Highest rating is Dougie Hamilton with a 5.3
CF%: 53.7%. For reference, Matties Ekholm also posted the same rating. Burns posted a 53.5%. Josi posted a 52.9%

He's a #2 defender, a #3 at worst. He's a VERY good defenseman, no matter whatever your agenda is.

Stats are from puckiq.com

I'm not countering your overall point, but just noting comparing his numbers to different defenders doesn't make your point. For instance, a player could have CA/60 numbers and still be good defensively if the team plays high event hockey, and a player could have low CF/60 numbers and still be good offensively if the team plays low event hockey.

That being said, his numbers are good, and I assume he saw fairly tough matchups in Philly as well. I never thought he had a super high ceiling in Tampa, but would be an effective second-pairing defender, but it's possible he has passed that.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm not countering your overall point, but just noting comparing his numbers to different defenders doesn't make your point. For instance, a player could have CA/60 numbers and still be good defensively if the team plays high event hockey, and a player could have low CF/60 numbers and still be good offensively if the team plays low event hockey.

That being said, his numbers are good, and I assume he saw fairly tough matchups in Philly as well. I never thought he had a super high ceiling in Tampa, but would be an effective second-pairing defender, but it's possible he has passed that.

True, but PHI, NSH, and WSH don't play high event hockey. CHI and SJS do... That's why I used a couple of different players.

PHI also had **** goaltending which has an effect on defenseman numbers (not directly but over time you'll see it wears those numbers down further).

On top of the better than average numbers, he's also right handed, can lay heavy hits, can move the puck out of his own end, and isn't as bad as people think he is in terms of PIM... At worst, a #3 defender. I'd call him a bonafide #2 at this point. I would take him on the Rangers in the blink of an eye.

EDIT: Just to clarify, by High Event Hockey, I assumed you meant a higher volume of shots both given up and taken. (I basically call it Corsi Total). NSH plays middle of the road hockey in terms of high event count, however the others I listed are accurate. Total Corsi Events are bold

8afokYx.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad