Value of: Radko Gudas

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The most physical top four defenseman in the league... good defensively and can pot 10G put up 25Pts... Dudes good

He's never potted 10 goals.

Don't think the Flyers would trade him, he's the only good dmen they have with experience. The pipeline is very strong so having a good vet will be invaluable.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
While others think of him as a goon, he was our best dman last year and is very very valuable to the team. Not a chance he is getting traded. Certainly not for junk like a second rounder or third roundeer + b prospect. I don't think they would trade him for an overpayment. In other words, they would not trade him for a first round + b+ prospect. We have plenty of picks and prospects He is not going anywhere.

Radko gets no respect around the league. He has turned me into a believer. He is just a very solid player both on the ice and in the locker room. Where you and I disagree is I feel Provorov was our best all around defenseman last year. I hope Tampa is happy with Coburn cause I feel like it was highway robbery of a trade.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Gudas is a rare complementary player. Not elite by any means but it's rare to find that combination of tools in a player and that makes him a keeper.

That and the Flyers lack of Veteran D mean it would cost alot to acquire him in a trade.
Brayden Coburn was traded for him plus a first and a third. That's where any serious trade talk would have to start from a Flyers perspective... Veteran D + 1st + 3rd

Gereth

Feb 18, 2015
... He is just a very solid player both on the ice and in the locker room. ...
giphy.gif

:sarcasm:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What is the value? I'd like him pairing with Jordie Benn.. he's righty and bring a physical presence plus he could step in a top-4 role in case of injury.

I don't know what the Flyers needs from the Habs but something like De La Rose and a 3rd round pick could work?

This offer is so bad that it's kind of incredible.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Both players are competitors, and they understand the situation they are in.

“That’s expected, that’s the way he plays,†Giroux said of Gudas. “Let’s just say that during the season I’m happy he’s on my team.â€

Meanwhile, Gudas made it known that he’s going to play hard no matter what.

“I’m not gonna take it easy on anyone,†Gudas said. “We’re in different jerseys right now…We’re gonna laugh about it after for sure.â€

But yes, it was really funny to see that happen.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Flyers have been soft for a little bit with expendable players coming in and going like Rinaldo, Weise, White, and Cousins.

White was really the only one who actually played well for the Flyers. Gudas brings what this team needs.

He's a good Dman. If you watch him play you can see it. We may be overrating his value, but it's just that- sell high. Plus, he's worth a lot to this team.

Any return Philly would want for him is something that would drive MTL away.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hes so much better than his perceived HF Boards value.

Top 30 in ES scoring and top 10 in Corsi For Relative among dmen last season.

He has become a very good player.

The post will be buried or ignored.

Having Gudas on the team while the kids develop is a blessing. With 3 years on his deal still, no reason at all to move him.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I still think moving him is one of the biggest mistakes of Yzerman's tenure (even though I understood getting Coburn for the Cup run). He has two significant flaws - he can let himself get out of position at times to lay a hit, and his footspeed isn't great, and I'll add a third and say he takes too many penalties. That being said, he's still a damn good Dman and adds an intimidation element on the backend, while being very effective on both ends of the ice.

He has a sneakily good shot. Would love to have the beard back as our #4 (and I hope Dotchin ends up being as good as him). He is significantly underrated and far more than a "goon" or an "agitator".

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
considering his bargain-rate contract & his importance as a vet w/ all the youth on [and incoming] the flyers blueline, I'm not even sure they would trade him for a 1st-especially a lateish first rounder

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
considering his bargain-rate contract & his importance as a vet w/ all the youth on [and incoming] the flyers blueline, I'm not even sure they would trade him for a 1st-especially a lateish first rounder

I am quite sure they would not.

There is no reason to. He needs to be in Philly until the prospects prove they are good NHLers. In 2 years, if a logjam is occurring, they can still get a 1st for him if he has a year left on his deal.

Also, I appreciate the good offers and more importantly, how civil all the comments have been. Nice to see a good convo as opposed to haters coming in and ruining the thread.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He made TB a lot of fun to watch. I'd like to have him back.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Gudas is actually a ****ing fantastic defenseman. I'd take him on the Rangers in a second over Smith..

WN6Rmdw.png

He's absolutely a #2 defenseman on just about any team in the league, AND he is right handed. Bieksa went for a 2nd round pick at the draft 2 years ago... Gudas would easily be worth a low 2nd (30-40th pick) and an upper tier prospect--AT THE LEAST.

That said, there's no way philly moves him... There would have to be a large overpayment offered--by large, I mean a 1st and an NHL-ready prospect... No way a team trades that for 2 years of Gudas, no matter the cap hit. Even then, he's probably worth more to the flyers than those assets would be anyway unless that Asset was something like Sheary or Guentzel

Sigh. HERO charts as proof that guy playing bottom pair minutes on his team (yes, I know its because of special teams) is secretly a #2D. Nope. Gudas is an excellent, and I mean excellent, bottom 3D. But thats what he is, a bottom 3D.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sigh. HERO charts as proof that guy playing bottom pair minutes on his team (yes, I know its because of special teams) is secretly a #2D. Nope. Gudas is an excellent, and I mean excellent, bottom 3D. But thats what he is, a bottom 3D.

To say he is a bottom 3 means you don't think he can lead a 2nd pairing. And that is 100% false. He is a mid pairing Dman.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This is not correct.

Gudas is without question a very good middle-pairing defensemen.

Most Flyers fans want him on the top pair with Provorov next season. He only wasnt last season because he had to anchor his own pair due to the lack of depth on their Defense.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Gudas averaged the 2nd most ES TOI on the team after Provorov.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Foolish.

All of it.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
HF BOARD'S LAW
no matter the subject, there is always one poster in each thread eager to display their relative ignorance on that topic

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Mark me down as well; Gudas was a fan favorite during his time in Tampa.
I also often wish we could have that Coburn trade back again.

To me, an amusing analogy might be:
Coburn's style is like an old-fashioned housewife: always there, dependable, not always exciting though.
Gudas' style is like the hot young secretary at work: fun to watch, sometimes wild out there, physicality gets your attention, and also sometimes a bit crazy in the head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad