Confirmed with Link: Radim Vrbata, $1M/1Y + bonuses up to $3M

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Interesting how the pre-season Strome love was shattered and the Vrbata doubt fizzled. Without Vrbata and Smith DT and JC would most certainly (or hopefully) terminated by now.

As for Stone, his skating poor, shot from point gone, and apprehension of re-injury apparent. I'd like to not see him on the Coyotes next year. DeAngelo can and should turn into a solid replacement, minus the size and physical play.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm fine with extending Hanzal and Stone. Hanzal would be done already if that was a reasonable option, I would think. Can't sign Stone until New Year's, but they need to trade him or sign him. No *****footing around. Fish or cutbait. After the tanturum he gave Don for trading away the rentals and breaking up the gang, now he has to make the tough decisions. Sign them or trade them immediately. That's what they're paying him obscene money for.
If they keep them unextended, I will buy extremely cheap tickets for the rest of the games with a "fire tippett or relocate" sign and sit in front of Kihekah after repelling down from the rafters mission impossible style. During play. I will probably have to lean because the sign is so heavy. I will make a dozen trips to concessions and then the bathroom, and in between he and Jakey can teach me about hockey. It will lead to the forum 40 apocalypse, so help me!
I always thought the Yandle trade was underwhelming as he wasn't a rental. How you could complain about the return for Z or Vermette is beyond me though. We traded 20 games of those guys for a decent prospect that didn't want to play for us, a young dman that had some potential and picks. That's solid return.

It's funny to read you ur take on posts. I didn't see a complaint at all. Did like your humor though! :laugh:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I didn't complain. They need to sign or trade them. Frankly, I'd trade Stone at this point because of DeAngelo and the fact that he doesn't look like he's fully recovered from surgery. I don't want to take a longterm chance on him given the need to get DeAngelo involved.
What I absolutely don't want to see is Dave holding on to one or both to pad his sub400 record and then watch them walk. Coach Dave Tippett already threw a fit after his 56 point team was dismantled by trading pending UFAs. GM Dave Tippett needs to override that decision.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I didn't complain. They need to sign or trade them. Frankly, I'd trade Stone at this point because of DeAngelo and the fact that he doesn't look like he's fully recovered from surgery. I don't want to take a longterm chance on him given the need to get DeAngelo involved.
What I absolutely don't want to see is Dave holding on to one or both to pad his sub400 record and then watch them walk. Coach Dave Tippett already threw a fit after his 56 point team was dismantled by trading pending UFAs. GM Dave Tippett needs to override that decision.

:facepalm: you implied Cobra427 was complaining.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
About the return for Z or Vermette? I guess. I don't see how the return for 20 games of Z or Vermette wasn't good enough. Most people were pretty happy with the trade.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't want either Stone or Hanzal back. Too much injury and inconsistency baggage. Unless, of course, either would accept a one or two year deal. Then sure. But they wouldn't. So deal them ASAP.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
:facepalm: you implied Cobra427 was complaining.

He missed my point. Trading pending UFA's at the TDL generally gets you a return that has a low percentage of success. It is good value but why wait until you are in that position? I think DM could have a better return for Bods had he moved him earlier. Also, some where along the line, we need to keep key players. Key players to me are: Any first line wings, 1C/2C, and top 4D. Yandle was a top 4D, Stone is a top 4D and Hanzal is a 2C.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Don't worry, the Bruins will call up around the TDL and offer 2 2nds for Vrbata. It happens every single year.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
He missed my point. Trading pending UFA's at the TDL generally gets you a return that has a low percentage of success. It is good value but why wait until you are in that position? I think DM could have a better return for Bods had he moved him earlier. Also, some where along the line, we need to keep key players. Key players to me are: Any first line wings, 1C/2C, and top 4D. Yandle was a top 4D, Stone is a top 4D and Hanzal is a 2C.

Believe me I understand and agree.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is this going to make him tough to trade to contenders near the cap? We can't retain on bonuses, right? When do those bonuses hit the cap? How does this structure work assuming that he's only hit the first bonus ahead of the playoffs but looks to be a safe bet to hit the second bonus? And do the playoff qualifiers transfer to his new team?

We need HELP mouser!!! Haha

Any retained salary transaction must include both the player salary and bonuses at the same %.

Technically the bonuses count against the cap from day 1. So Vrbata's cap hit is $3.25M at the moment, though the cap tracking sites don't depict it that way. Teams can exceed the salary cap by up to 7.5% due to performance bonuses. Once a bonus becomes unreachable then the team receives a credit to their cap to offset the bonus.

Do the bonuses transfer? Unknown, depends on how the contract is written. Though most likely they do transfer IMO.

Who pays the bonuses? Again, depends on how the contract is written. If for example the contract said Vrbata is to be paid $500k immediately upon playing 30 games then the Coyotes would pay that out. If the contract said Vrbata will be paid $500k at the end of the regular season if he played 30 games, then that payout would be split between the Coyotes and other team if Vrbata were traded with retained salary.

Let's say for example Vrbata is traded with 50% at the TDL before he reaches 20G or 40P. The team that acquires Vrbata would have him at a $1.625M cap hit, pro-rated to roughly $350k in real salary space, for the remainder of the season. If Vrbata didn't reach 20G/40P then that would be removed from the cap hit. If the team didn't make the playoffs or bowed out early then those bonuses would be removed from the cap hit. One quirk with performance bonuses though: if a team is using the LTIR exception to exceed the cap then all earned performance bonuses carry over to the next season.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

I didn't miss your point. They need to sign or trade them. If he trades them at the deadline, I expect you to change your tune, but the bottom line is if they aren't extended, they need to be dealt. For someone that blames the prospects and players for everything happening to this franchise, it's hysterical how gung ho you are about keeping them, and adverse to acquiring new assets at the TDL. I can totally see us not dealing them and then losing them in free agency. It seems very Tippettian. "Can't give up on the season," or some such, so maybe you'll get your wish.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
True or false: Dave Tippett threw a public tantrum speaking about outclauses in his contract that protect him, never doing that again, and the need to be "competitive" after a prior GM traded expiring contracts in a throw away season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad