Confirmed with Link: Radim Vrbata, $1M/1Y + bonuses up to $3M

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
While I'm not a fan of returning to the same well over and over, I don't think that applies to Vrbata. He had an off year last year sure, but the guy was a 30 goal scorer a year prior and at that salary and term, I'm pretty over the moon on this signing. Welcome back Vrby!

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The country club is alive and well.

I've liked Vrbata and how's he's played for us in the past. Not a fan of how he treated Vancouver his last year there.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Oh my. Vermette just signs for 1.75, and we sign a guy that is over the hill that can make $3mill if bonuses are reached. I'm back on the fence again with this signing until I see what the bonuses are.

I'll take Vrby at 1yr/$1mil + bonuses any day over Vermette at 2 years/$3.75M + NTC. We have plenty of guys who can do what Vermette was doing, and they'll probably do it better. What we don't (or didn't, now) have is a solid veteran RW scorer. Duclair can't carry the load by himself.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'll take Vrby at 1yr/$1mil + bonuses any day over Vermette at 2 years/$3.75M + NTC. We have plenty of guys who can do what Vermette was doing, and they'll probably do it better. What we don't (or didn't, now) have is a solid veteran RW scorer. Duclair can't carry the load by himself.

I think for a 1:1 comparison you must include Vermette's buyout cost in Vrbata since one doesn't happen without the other.

Vrby ain't seeing all 2M of those bonuses either though I'd bet the playoff portion of the bonus is pretty small compared to goals/points/gp.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
This is a fine signing given the cost, but I hope he doesn't take too much powerplay time away from the emerging forwards on this team. Development should trump winning as a priority this season, and I want Domi, Duclair, Strome and whoever else makes the team to be getting the lion's share of powerplay time.

For Vrbata, 27 of his 64 goals the past three seasons have come on the powerplay, including 5 of last year's 13. I like the looks of this at even strength:

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Doan
Rieder-Dvorak-Vrbata
Martinook-Richardson-White

I still think there's room for more depth here, especially as Rieder remains unsigned.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Power play goals count the same as the other goals.

They're also easier to score, as having an extra player or two on your team gives you more space and time to make decisions. But I suspect you know that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wasn't the opposite your argument against Vermette?

No. It's not actually. The argument there was he can't produce outside of the power play. That's a problem. Especially because he wasn't going to be given any power-play minutes at all this season anyway. The right side is so weak, that the new addition of the old player, isn't really going to Impact anything. Duke will get his minutes. The captain and the old check will fight it out for their's

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

We are so painfully weak on RW. I was hoping for a big upgrade not a one year stop gap. If Vrbata never was here before I would probably be ok with this, but bringing back players you had never seems to work.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
I'm with Mossy. Vrbata was my favorite Yotes player a few years ago, I'll be happy to see him in our jerseys again.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Vrbata has averaged .67 goals per 60 minutes of even strength over the last three seasons, good for 162nd in the league among forwards who played at least 1,000 minutes in that span. For some comparison (to help set expectations):

McGinn: .77 (96th)
Duclair: .71 (127th)
Doan: .69 (144th)
Hanzal: .68 (149th)
Vrbata: .67 (162nd)
Domi: .65 (175th)
White: .51 (271st)
Rieder: .51 (272nd)
Richardson: .51 (275th)
Vermette: .50 (278th)
Martinook: .40 (336th)

Usage and trend lines need to be considered here, but this is a helpful bit of context.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad