Race to the bottom - Rebuild thread #2.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If we have the 4th Overall pick in the draft, and say Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary are 1,2,3.

We should then package our 1st + Reimer to Edmonton for the 2nd Overall pick. We either get a franchise D-man in Ekblad, or a stud center.

Best thing about it, both Ekblad and Reinhart would likely be NHL ready next season... Ekblad 100%

my thinking exactly.
heck, truthfully I'd be talking to Burke right now to give us Calgary's pick. he Owes Us :nod:

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
my thinking exactly.
heck, truthfully I'd be talking to Burke right now to give us Calgary's pick. he Owes Us :nod:

Burke is well on his way in Calgary building the team he promised us.

2013 - Sean Monahan
2014 - Michael DalColle/Nick Ritchie

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Burke is well on his way in Calgary building the team he promised us.

2013 - Sean Monahan
2014 - Michael DalColle/Nick Ritchie

Monahan is Feaster.

but still. mr. draft schmaft needs to talk to his buddy and give us some picks.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
he can loathe us after he pays up.
seriously, after reading his comments in the paper about how building through the draft was good and blah blah blah, it made me rage.

To bad no one called him out at his press conference for saying the exact opposite thing when he was here .

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If it wasn't for October we would be drafting 1st Overall.

How has Carlyle not been fired? He is literally doing worse then Ron Wilson with a MUCH MUCH better team.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If it wasn't for October we would be drafting 1st Overall.

How has Carlyle not been fired? He is literally doing worse then Ron Wilson with a MUCH MUCH better team.

He'd have to finish 30th to do worse , Ronnie set the bar very high for inept coaching .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yeah, if you go by that season. And again, if you take out October, Carlyle IS doing worse.

I couldn't give a damn about RC but these players need to compete harder regardless of who's coach and we have way too many soft players regardless of who behind the bench .

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I couldn't give a damn about RC but these players need to compete harder regardless of who's coach and we have way too many soft players regardless of who behind the bench .

Too many soft players for the style we are playing, sure.

Fire Carlyle, Bring in a different coach that will actually play this team the way it is supposed to, and our team would be very good. The issue with the team, is the players can't play the way the coach is telling them to, and the coach isn't changing the way we play.

Remember when we beat Chicago 7-3? That was a complete 180 of how we play right now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Too many soft players for the style we are playing, sure.

Fire Carlyle, Bring in a different coach that will actually play this team the way it is supposed to, and our team would be very good. The issue with the team, is the players can't play the way the coach is telling them to, and the coach isn't changing the way we play.

Remember when we beat Chicago 7-3? That was a complete 180 of how we play right now.

Randy is a stubborn mule of a coach and stubborn is stupid IMHO.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Enough with the coach, yes he should be fired but it's up to the players to compete on the ice. There are few pros on the roster, its sad that a rookie (d'amigo) is one of few who give it all shift after shift

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
To bad no one called him out at his press conference for saying the exact opposite thing when he was here .

Well paws, you know I hate Burkey and this will sound like I am defending him but.

I have to wonder if he was just spouting and acting in accordance with the then owners (teachers pension fund) wishes.

Lets review what we know.

We now know the teachers had mlse on the blocks , it would be a safe assumption that a better leafs , a PO rev leafs, might bump the sale price.

It's not hard to imaging that in BBs hiring interviews there would be discussion on team direction and building philosophy.

Obviously BB and TPF found common ground there.

Now did BB give in to TPFs demand of expedience or did BB feel this way from the get go?

The only one I believe did at 100% was the TPF.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
What alternate reality do you live in where nobody called him out?

A reporter at the press conference asked BB why his team building philosophy is a 180 to what he spouted in TO?

Mind you why would they, most of them there are Calgary vested,no?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Well paws, you know I hate Burkey and this will sound like I am defending him but.

I have to wonder if he was just spouting and acting in accordance with the then owners (teachers pension fund) wishes.

Lets review what we know.

We now know the teachers had mlse on the blocks , it would be a safe assumption that a better leafs , a PO rev leafs, might bump the sale price.

It's not hard to imaging that in BBs hiring interviews there would be discussion on team direction and building philosophy.

Obviously BB and TPF found common ground there.

Now did BB give in to TPFs demand of expedience or did BB feel this way from the get go?

The only one I believe did at 100% was the TPF.

but Burke was also given 100 percent control, that was the #1 reason why a lot of people didn't want the job remember? Because they had to report to the board and make plans and get the okay. Burke was the first GM for a while that didn't have to do that.

Fletcher while here hurt the development of the club with the trades that he did. Burke only piled on to that by trading for Kessel. he didn't have to, but regardless of what people said - Burke said countless times that he stood behind that trade, would do it over and over and over again, and that he didn't believe in building through the draft, he wanted to retool.

and here we are.
get mad at Nonis all you want, but I honestly believe he's actually rebuilding (I'll get mad at him sooner or later). I think that a lot of "perfect storm of suckitude" happened to this team, but there's "fighting for a wildcard spot" and just not being able to handle the presure. good goaltending saved our butt - and I wouldn't touch our goaltending with a 10 foot pole. he has some of the support for the rookies in place so while we can compete, "falls" like this shouldn't be surprising either. that's the way I'm choosing to look at it.

So we fall down this year (draft high).
we fall down next year (draft high)
also UFA well, and see where we go.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Flames have been shutout in 5 of their last 8 games and that can only enrage an impatient trigger happy GM to action.

Here is the window of opportunity for Nonis to extract young players and high draft picks offering instant help to a struggling Flames team in order to help rebuild his Leafs through the draft process.

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
we better don't race to the bottom,

because we don't know how to develop young talents, we will destroy them, better send picks to other teams because they know how to develop young guns properly. How embarrassing!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
but Burke was also given 100 percent control, that was the #1 reason why a lot of people didn't want the job remember? Because they had to report to the board and make plans and get the okay. Burke was the first GM for a while that didn't have to do that.

Fletcher while here hurt the development of the club with the trades that he did. Burke only piled on to that by trading for Kessel. he didn't have to, but regardless of what people said - Burke said countless times that he stood behind that trade, would do it over and over and over again, and that he didn't believe in building through the draft, he wanted to retool.

and here we are.
get mad at Nonis all you want, but I honestly believe he's actually rebuilding (I'll get mad at him sooner or later). I think that a lot of "perfect storm of suckitude" happened to this team, but there's "fighting for a wildcard spot" and just not being able to handle the presure. good goaltending saved our butt - and I wouldn't touch our goaltending with a 10 foot pole. he has some of the support for the rookies in place so while we can compete, "falls" like this shouldn't be surprising either. that's the way I'm choosing to look at it.

So we fall down this year (draft high).
we fall down next year (draft high)
also UFA well, and see where we go.

Burke is a lawyer , he is trained to know and respect the true power in words.

Lawyers are the masters of the "grey area".

I believe that BB had 100% control in the mandate ownership set and explained in his hiring interviews.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
This team can win a cup.

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Josh Leivo ($0.793m) / Peter Holland ($0.851m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($3.200m)
Jerry D'Amigo ($0.851m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Carter Ashton ($0.851m)
Trevor Smith ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Jake Gardiner ($0.827m) / Morgan Rielly ($0.894m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m) / Stuart Percy ($0.863m)
Paul Ranger ($1.000m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
Drew MacIntyre ($1.200m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,253,375; BONUSES: $1,195,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,846,625

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad