Race to the bottom - Rebuild thread #2.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I doubt we could fall further in the standings than Edmonton, Calgary, or Buffalo so if we do wind up without a seat after the music ends then I'll be crossing my fingers the lottery could bump us up another few spots.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The year will be 2021. Leafs fans will be elated with the Phaneuf contract coming off the books. The glory days far behind, talks of '67 have only now become legend. Leafs will not have experienced a second round in the playoffs since the year 2002, nearly 20 years.

With Clarkson's contract freshly off the books, and Philburt's only 1 season away, the team finally scouts their 1C going first overall in the draft, born in 2003, from Sweden.

FINALLY, a true rebuild! Leafs fans exude and throw their hats in the air as they finally receive the promise made in 2008...

Morgan Reilly will be 25 and made the 19th captain in franchise history. Leafs will be searching for a young goalie to replace the aging Bernier. Phaneuf will be left unsigned, and will finally be able to lead something within his ability; the free agent list.

Mark the date on your calendars folks, Tank Nation Till Death.

Best post

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I doubt we could fall further in the standings than Edmonton, Calgary, or Buffalo so if we do wind up without a seat after the music ends then I'll be crossing my fingers the lottery could bump us up another few spots.

I think the team that wins the lottery gets the first pick under the new CBA .

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I always ask this - don't a LOT of defensemen take a WHILE to really 'pop'? i mean next year, Gards will be what? 24?

I would worry that Naz is the one in more trouble because forwards usually start to shine around 23-24 right?

Right, but I'd ditch the coach before I ditched either one of them. I still think Gardiner could explode offensively under a different coach. Take a look at the way he produced as his confidence grew in his first season. What do you think?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Right, but I'd ditch the coach before I ditched either one of them. I still think Gardiner could explode offensively under a different coach. Take a look at the way he produced as his confidence grew in his first season. What do you think?

Of the organization I smart this team loses Carlyle after tonight and gets a new coach and they start getting to work then take a break during the Olympics and get back at it.

They won't though unless the fans in Toronto go ape **** and start putting pressure on Bell and Rogers.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I think the team that wins the lottery gets the first pick under the new CBA .

The lottery befuddles me. If we wind up 17th-20th could we potentially move up another ~5 spots? And if so what are the odds? I thought I remembered reading that the odds won't be so top heavy anymore but I'm not sure. Basically that last place teams won't have such great odds for the #1 spot and that it'll be spread out a little more.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The lottery befuddles me. If we wind up 17th-20th could we potentially move up another ~5 spots? And if so what are the odds? I thought I remembered reading that the odds won't be so top heavy anymore but I'm not sure. Basically that last place teams won't have such great odds for the #1 spot and that it'll be spread out a little more.

From my understanding every non playoff team can now jump up to first overall if they win the lottery as opposed to just moving up a few spots as before and that why the 30th place teams odds were much higher under the previous CBA .

Penalty Kill Icing*

As of now, Leafs are slated to draft 9th in the draft.

If Leafs lose in regulation, and if Nashville wins tonight in any fashion against Minnesota; Leafs pick escalates to 8th.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Yeah, Fleury. What a bust. He had nothing to do with getting Pittsburgh to the Finals and then winning the Stanley Cup the next year...

Other than that year, and yes he was amazing that year, he's been crap ever since IMO.

I havent seem him have a solid post-season in years, and I've never found him to be really hard to score on, he's always screamed average to me and often times Pittsburgh just outscores the opposition.

I dont see them winning another cup with him in net.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Other than that year, and yes he was amazing that year, he's been crap ever since IMO.

I havent seem him have a solid post-season in years, and I've never found him to be really hard to score on, he's always screamed average to me and often times Pittsburgh just outscores the opposition.

I dont see them winning another cup with him in net.

You realize Fleury got Pittsburgh to the Finals in two straight years right?

No doubt he has struggled in the playoffs in recent years, but ask any GM if he could draft a goalie that would get his team to two straight Stanley Cup Finals and keep his team near the top of his Conference every single year, I'm pretty sure all 30 would take that deal.

asdf

Mar 8, 2006
Leaf fans would have been patient 5 plus years ago but now they're pissed because they feel this team is starting to look like it needs to be rebuilt again . Only a homer would believe this team wouldn't have been better off with Seguin/Hamilton than with Kessel .

OTTP wasn't looking to sell when Burke and BC were hired and Peddie was looking for a big name GM after hiring rookies with brutal results . Burke was the one big name GM who choose to come here but Peddie would just have been as happy if not more with Holland or Rutherford .

Burke would say anything depending on the situation regardless of whether it contradicted his previous statements and a guy like him would never admit to making a mistake without shifting the blame for the mistake elsewhere .

Burke said he wasn't interested in doing a draft rebuild , I believe that was after he traded the picks however .

I never said the team wouldn't be better off with Seguin and Hamilton. I actually hate the trade and I question what Burke was thinking. I just don't think it is some egregious move that crippled the franchise for the next decade. As I said, Seguin basically seems like a center version of Kessel.

We don't know exactly when the OTPP was looking to sell, but there were rumours of it for a while. From the reports, Peddie hired the rookie GM's that he could control for both teams, but then when they did a bad job, Tannenbaum went above him and tried to hire more experienced GM's.

He first brought in Colangelo who brought immediate success. Then he tried to bring in Scotty Bowman for the Leafs, but when Bowman said the whole thing needed to be torn down and slowly rebuilt, he was essentially told to get lost.

The Leafs then went and poached Burke from Anaheim. I don't know if they would have been happy with any established GM (i.e. Holland, Rutherford), but given the evidence it seems like they were looking for somebody to get the team competitive quickly.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Seriously Leaf Fans HAVE been patient.

Not much was said during the 5 straight bottom 10 finishes, believing Burke was building a winner.

We've sat through 5 straight years of tanking and came out with an older than average core.

Now that prime aged core is a gamble to even make the playoffs.

It makes me laugh when people say Leaf fans couldn't handle a rebuild. We've handled one and got none of the shiny new toys to go with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad