Race for the 31st overall

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I hope New Jersey finishes as low as possible, just so Blackwood can get some help, he's an amazing goalie, deserves better.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think some teams will pass them given their games in hand, but I remain baffled there are this many teams worse than the Red Wings.

It seems like the Wings bottomed out in the years they could still get screwed by the draft but now will pick out of the top 5 when the potential to move up has been reduced.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
While that may be true unless they significantly improve their roster between now and the next season, I don't see how they aren't in the same position next year. It's probably best to continue sucking for 1-2 years and give yourself the best odds to get Wright, Bedard etc.

The Atlantic has only gotten tougher with Florida becoming a top team as well. Montreal is neither good or bad, just about .500 or so. Ottawa will probably be the same but probably better if guys like Tkachuk/Stutzle take big steps.

For Buffalo, there is a giant question mark because no one knows what will happen with Eichel. Is he going to demand a trade and if so, what can the Sabres get in return for him? Last time a superstar C like him was traded at a young age, it was Joe Thornton and Boston really didn't get much of anything worthwhile for him.

That trade has to be a clear W for the Sabres if he's being traded.

I'm not worried about Eichel nearly as much as I was when Kruger was coaching. The team has looked decent to above average against tough competition without Eichel, McCabe, and Ullmark. They were on their 4th string goalie and made Tokarski look serviceable for a few games. UPL looks like a solid addition to the main squad next year with or without Ullmark and Mitts, Reinhart, and Cousins have all taken huge steps. Dahlin looks like a game changer once again, and if Eichel is healthy to start the season I dont see them having as much trouble with Montreal/Ottawa as Boston/Pittsburgh.

The kids are out-skating and out-hitting basically everyone they play, if they keep it up and don't screw it up with a bad coaching decision, they will at least be fun to watch.

Eichel holds no real power in the situation until the NTC kicks in, and even then he's still under contract for awhile. He's not going to refuse to play and has worked hard and getting people to stop thinking of him as pouty Jack. Even if he wants out I dont see the team giving him up until at least the trade deadline unless the offer knocks their socks off, and if we are sellers once again next year at the deadline im willing to give some weight to the idea that Jack is a problem, so they can move him for whatever they can get. Everything they've shown since Granato took over though really does make Ralph and Housley look like the problem with their defense first, slow down the pace of the game systems. Its surprising seeing how fast this team is when they are allowed to play reaction hockey, especially compared to what they've looked like the past 2-3 years.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Kind of impressive that Ottawa has climbed out of the basement.
As someone who's gotten to see them play multiple times this year, I'm not. It's like 50% of their play is super impressive, almost playoff worthy hockey and the other 50% is so terrible that it makes you sick to your stomach.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Remember when we were all saying that the Sabres had a nice young team and that they could be dangerous. Yeah, that didn't pan out well.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Kinda sucks for these teams. A pretty average year to tank compared to what's ahead.

2022 = Wright
2023 = Bedard + Michkov

Was just thinking the same

Wright + Lambert followed by Bedard + Michkov is so far and above what’s out there in 2021.

I have Clarke #1 on my list but there is no consensus top 2. Power, Beniers, Guenther are alright but certainly not sure fire superstar NHLers.

If Wright was available in this draft, he easily goes #1 without a debate.

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Can't really get 5 Canadian teams in the basement when they're all getting points off each other.
The League maybe should have taken top 3 from each division approach, and then teams like the Habs would get bumped out for more worthy teams like the NYR.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
The League maybe should have taken top 3 from each division approach, and then teams like the Habs would get bumped out for more worthy teams like the NYR.
Is it normal for Toronto fans to go on a rampage posting insults to teams that just beat them? Because I thought was more of an Oilers fan thing.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
While I personally think Vancouver goes on a run, them finally winning the lottery in a draft where there is no player that really projects as a can't miss stud is so Vancouver.

They are five wins below fake .500.

How are Canucks fans so optimistic? haha

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands

This poster is not representative. He goes to other teams forums to troll and is an ardent Benning supporter with no apparent logic behind the decision.

In any case, we're not optimistic. Playoffs were out of reach by March, but all Jim does is see a miniscule chance and go "there's a chance!". As does Green. The management and coaching is moribund and needs to be entirely replaced.

We're not optimistic. Nihilistic maybe.

Reactions: mriswith

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6566744d687044355a776d5848773d3d2d3533313637373535322e313531303938633463326437386662363735303933313235303736352e676966

We did it !! Losers again

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Kind of hoping we draft a dman this draft. Eichel/Reinhart/Cozens are good enough for Centers 1-3. Reinhart has been fantastic at center. We finally tried him out there where he played his entire life and it worked.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Kind of hoping we draft a dman this draft. Eichel/Reinhart/Cozens are good enough for Centers 1-3. Reinhart has been fantastic at center. We finally tried him out there where he played his entire life and it worked.

Ehhh, not sure any particular player or position is going to fix things. There is a lot of potential talent on the Sabres blueline. Dahlin was #1 overall, Ristolanien was #8 overall in 2015, Jokiharju was a 1st rounder who was immediately successful in the NHL from 2017, Montour and Miller were considered good young defenseman before they came to the Sabres.

I don't think it is a talent issue that will necessarily turn things around.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

Optimistic that they can catch up with the Anaheims and Buffalos? Not much chance there. But canucks can get to picking 6th. COVID destroyed them, they have no stamina after ~35 minutes mark each game. Forcing them to come back when their bodies don't have rest results in injuries, and the team is without all their centers, half their team is AHL quality. The league did them a dirty because of TV agreements.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00