Race for the 31st overall

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Some years I'm pro-tank, like last year I was hoping the Sens would draft top 3. But this year I want them to keep on winning, because it feels good, and also the experts say this draft doesn't have a lot of separation between players 1-8.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Updated after Thursday's games. Sharks is out with too many points and Red Wings is out with too many non-shootout wins (i.e. Sabres can tie with points and RW, but that's not enough).

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Literally the shittiest draft to hold the 1st overall pick. I hope Columbus wins the lottery so Jarmo can choose a 5"6' Ugandan playmaker from the Africa Hockey League. Somehow that guy will project as a solid 1st liner and a Selke contender after his D+1 year.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Why did Vancouver suck so much this year?

Edit: Not as bad as it looks when going by GP
Yeah missed a bunch of time as something like 16+ players got COVID (plus staff).
EP40 injury.
Maybe the North isn't as weak as you read about here? (I'm sure they look forward to post-COVID playing LAK, ANA, & SJS)

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
This is the wrong season to tank, the picks don't seem great. However scouting and player development has been affected by the cancelling of minor league hockey seasons and playoffs the past 2 years, so who knows.

You need to start planning your tanking and suck hard to draft Bedard. Or possibly play like a tard.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Hope Buffalo wins the lottery, they need some good luck. Eichel is most likely out the door and I highly doubt the return is going to be the massive return he should fetch.

Play sour for Power? Idk, I suck at this.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Sabres have been playing good hockey since Granato took over and let the kids play hockey instead of whatever broken system Kruger was failing to implement. Theyve just been in the toughest part of the schedule against the best division. They can lose out the rest of the season, but as long as they keep playing like they have they are not the worst team in the league. Boston, Pittsburgh, and NY Isles are all really good teams.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
How is the 2021 draft in terms of talent? I haven’t heard a whole lot about any specific player worth “tanking” for.
It’s pretty weak and what makes it worse is that if you get any better now, you’re in worse spot to land one of the multiple more hyped prospects coming up in 2022 and 2023 Drafts.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks are really making up ground coming down the stretch. They will sneak into the top (bottom) five, and win a top two pick in the lottery.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Sabres have been playing good hockey since Granato took over and let the kids play hockey instead of whatever broken system Kruger was failing to implement. Theyve just been in the toughest part of the schedule against the best division. They can lose out the rest of the season, but as long as they keep playing like they have they are not the worst team in the league. Boston, Pittsburgh, and NY Isles are all really good teams.

While that may be true unless they significantly improve their roster between now and the next season, I don't see how they aren't in the same position next year. It's probably best to continue sucking for 1-2 years and give yourself the best odds to get Wright, Bedard etc.

The Atlantic has only gotten tougher with Florida becoming a top team as well. Montreal is neither good or bad, just about .500 or so. Ottawa will probably be the same but probably better if guys like Tkachuk/Stutzle take big steps.

For Buffalo, there is a giant question mark because no one knows what will happen with Eichel. Is he going to demand a trade and if so, what can the Sabres get in return for him? Last time a superstar C like him was traded at a young age, it was Joe Thornton and Boston really didn't get much of anything worthwhile for him.

That trade has to be a clear W for the Sabres if he's being traded.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
For Buffalo, there is a giant question mark because no one knows what will happen with Eichel. Is he going to demand a trade and if so, what can the Sabres get in return for him? Last time a superstar C like him was traded at a young age, it was Joe Thornton and Boston really didn't get much of anything worthwhile for him.

That trade has to be a clear W for the Sabres if he's being traded.
There was Seguin as well, but again not a great return.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
There was Seguin as well, but again not a great return.

True he's a close one as well but I wouldn't really call Seguin a superstar C when he was traded. Eichel is near ~PPG or near there since his second year in the league.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Why did Vancouver suck so much this year?

Edit: Not as bad as it looks when going by GP
They had an awful start and a brutal schedule, just really disjointed. Managed to go on a run, climbed back into the playoff picture, then lost Petey, then the whole team was decimated by COVID. Also, they have atrocious depth players and really just aren't going to be contenders until they fix that.

They won a few games when they first returned from COVID, but I think that was pure adrenaline. Now they have their hardest stretch of schedule and have dropped 3 of 4. I think the the final 12 games are going to be tire fire.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad