Proposal: Raanta to Calgary

ShatteredGlass

∞ Posts Deleted :)
Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
...It's funny, Flames fans really don't want Fleury huh? It's basically anyone but MAF.

Oh well. They can deny Fleury all they want, despite him playing well in the regular season last season, they thought he was garbage. This year he's doing great in the playoffs and they still think he's trash. :shakehead

That kind of attitude is why they're in the situation they're in, and they honestly deserve it. Beggars can't be choosers. :)

Obviously not all Flames fans deserve it, but the ones who are just repulsed by the thought of MAF, this is what you get. Bet you they'll love Fleury if he plays this well for them and make as though they never denied him in the first place.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh well. They can deny Fleury all they want, despite him playing well in the regular season last season, they thought he was garbage. This year he's doing great in the playoffs and they still think he's trash. :shakehead

That kind of attitude is why they're in the situation they're in, and they honestly deserve it. Beggars can't be choosers. :)

Obviously not all Flames fans deserve it, but the ones who are just repulsed by the thought of MAF, this is what you get. Bet you they'll love Fleury if he plays this well for them and make as though they never denied him in the first place.
No one is saying he is trash, we are saying he isn't a fit with us due to his inconsistency, age, cap hit and cost to acquire. You can stop making **** up about us at any time now.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
At the end of the day the Flames will wind up with one of Grubauer, Raanta, Pickard or Fleury - either by dealing with the original team or Vegas. I'm not sure it matters which one they get. They all have some risk attached.

On the bright side the Flames do have two very good goaltending prospects, so whoever they get now may only need to hold the fort for a couple of years.

ShatteredGlass

Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
No one is saying he is trash, we are saying he isn't a fit with us due to his inconsistency, age, cap hit and cost to acquire. You can stop making **** up about us at any time now.

Making **** up when you basically are saying he's trash? This is all you Flames fans have been saying for the past year. Only one making **** up is the guy who swears that 1 of the top goalies in the playoffs this year somehow isn't good enough for his team.

ShatteredGlass

Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
At the end of the day the Flames will wind up with one of Grubauer, Raanta, Pickard or Fleury - either by dealing with the original team or Vegas. I'm not sure it matters which one they get. They all have some risk attached.

On the bright side the Flames do have two very good goaltending prospects, so whoever they get now may only need to hold the fort for a couple of years.

This is why I feel Fleury is a good fit for them. He's not signed for 5 or so years, and by the time his contract is up, Gillies should be able to take over. You also know that he also won't ***** or cause any fuss if one of Calgary's goalie prospects earns more playing time within the next 2 seasons, with as well as he handled the Murray situation.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Making **** up when you basically are saying he's trash? This is all you Flames fans have been saying for the past year. Only one making **** up is the guy who swears that 1 of the top goalies in the playoffs this year somehow isn't good enough for his team.
What was wrong about what I said? No one has said he is trash, just that he isn't right for us. You should really learn the difference and maybe a constructive conversation can be had.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I'd offer a conditional 1st in 2018.

If Raanta plays 50+ games during the regular season and Flames make playoffs = 1st

Otherwise, 3rd in 2018.

I really don't think the Rangers bite on such a deal though, but we do need to protect ourselves. There's are too many other options available for goalies that we don't need to paint ourselves into a corner.

I am also assuming that if we acquire Raanta, the 2017 1st was in play and used up on another young up and coming starter.

I've liked Raanta for a while and I think he has as higher chance of being a starter after tutelage from the King himself. But I really don't know if he's going to be a top 15 starter. We need a top 15 goalie. Not another 20-40th ranked NHL goalie.
I'm on board with this. I think Raanta is an exceptionally good goalie and will be a legit starter in this league for a long time. Perfect fit for the Flames age-wise as well. I'm not going to be the one to make that comparison to that fellow countryman of his who once played for the Flames but... he's a quick goalie who doesn't rely on size and he's always impressed the hell out of me. Get it done, Brad. :nod:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Raanta for a 2nd that conditionally turns into a 1st if said team makes playoffs.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Make that 3rd rounder a 2nd rounder and I'd be all about this just for the fact that the rewards could be enormous for us

Raanta for a 2nd that conditionally turns into a 1st if said team makes playoffs.

A guaranteed 2nd puts the risk completely on us. That's what I suggested 1st/3rd. If he goes all Cam Talbot, we gladly pay the 1st. If he is just purely a backup, then a similar pick to Darling is fair, no?

Or are you not convinced he can hit the conditions?

This is why I feel Fleury is a good fit for them. He's not signed for 5 or so years, and by the time his contract is up, Gillies should be able to take over. You also know that he also won't ***** or cause any fuss if one of Calgary's goalie prospects earns more playing time within the next 2 seasons, with as well as he handled the Murray situation.

I don't disagree. But I will say the Flames are in a situation where they shouldn't offer much more than a 3rd for Fleury.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A guaranteed 2nd puts the risk completely on us. That's what I suggested 1st/3rd. If he goes all Cam Talbot, we gladly pay the 1st. If he is just purely a backup, then a similar pick to Darling is fair, no?

Or are you not convinced he can hit the conditions?

I don't disagree. But I will say the Flames are in a situation where they shouldn't offer much more than a 3rd for Fleury.

I think Raanta is better than Darling, and is certainly on a better contract for this season. To pay 1.1m for a starting goalie is a steal. If he makes the playoffs it's worth the first. Also I don't think the Rangers really want to move him. That being said I think Vegas could be eyeing him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Raanta is better than Darling, and is certainly on a better contract for this season. To pay 1.1m for a starting goalie is a steal. If he makes the playoffs it's worth the first. Also I don't think the Rangers really want to move him. That being said I think Vegas could be eyeing him.

Hmm fair enough. But if we are going that route, I would personally prefer offering a 2nd straight up, no conditions.

However, we don't have a 2017 2nd (Lazar) or 3rd (Stone) unless we trade down in the 2017 draft. If that's the case, I think Rangers would be more interested in keeping Raanta. I'm not sure if we still have our 2018 2nd, but would NYR even be interested in that type of a trade?

Or maybe we trade down with Rangers pre-expansion.

Something like 16OA for 21 OA + Raanta. But I'm thinking Rangers are more interested in keeping Raanta if that's the price so they don't have to figure out how to acquire a goalie to expose in expansion.

So perhaps it's a good time to put the phones down. I think we have a reasonable idea that there is interest and value wise we're not too far off. It worth saying there does seem like a good fit with Raanta, but due diligence and figuring out how to acquire the necessary assets to trade for Raanta is necessary.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
he also won't ***** or cause any fuss if one of Calgary's goalie prospects earns more playing time within the next 2 seasons, with as well as he handled the Murray situation.

He can you assume that? He goes from being the backup on a team that was the cup favourite and playing behind a rookie who could clearly end up as the backup if he didn't play well and now you're in the catbird seat to a team that is still finding it's way in the West and has no commitment to you moving forward. I don't see how those situations are even remotely the same.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'd do this:

1st: If Flames make CF and requirement for 3rd rounder is reached.
2nd: If Flames make playoffs and requirement for 3rd rounder is reached. OR if Flames make CF and Raanta does not play 45+ games.
3rd: If Raanta plays 45+ games in the regular season. OR if Flames make playoffs and Raanta does not play 45+ games.
4th: If Raanta does not meet any of those requirements.

and Rittich.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fig, I think the best chance of landing Raanta is from Vegas TBH. They may be willing to take a 2nd next year for him as it is said to be a deeper draft. Although I think your 1st round swap might entice the Rangers if we add a conditional 2nd based on his performance.

TheLowKreider

Aug 4, 2009
Would be a great opportunity for the Rangers to recoup a draft pick or two, and their prospect system is deep in goalies if nothing else. Hope Gorton takes advantage.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames will go big game hunting for a goalie
My gut is telling me the Flames 1st to Washington for Grubauer and a 4th (just so the Flames don't outright lose another pick). Then the Caps would either re-sign Copley, or acquire an expansion eligible goalie via a subsequent trade.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Fig, I think the best chance of landing Raanta is from Vegas TBH. They may be willing to take a 2nd next year for him as it is said to be a deeper draft. Although I think your 1st round swap might entice the Rangers if we add a conditional 2nd based on his performance.

I can agree with this. It is nice that there isn't a significant difference in opinion about Raanta's value. Whether we talk to NYR or Vegas, it does seem like a Raanta trade looks pretty viable.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
What was wrong about what I said? No one has said he is trash, just that he isn't right for us. You should really learn the difference and maybe a constructive conversation can be had.

Stop saying he's trash MM! STOP IT! :sarcasm:

I'm open to Fleury, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Please do not lump Flames posters in with that poster. He doesn't represent, like, anyone, but himself.

Flames would welcome Fleury, but the cost of acquiring has to make sense. Calgary won't be stepping up and dropping a first in an expansion year when there's some quality goalies kicking around.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Would love to have Fleury in Winnipeg post expansion draft.

Yanda

Apr 9, 2014
I see the Flames Trading Mason McDonald and a 2nd to pickup one of these goalies.

- Raanta
- Neuvirth
- Saros
- Keumper

Yanda

Apr 9, 2014
They couldn't have. Calgary was on Bishop's no trade list. Rumor has it he really wanted to go to Dallas. He played in the suburbs here when he was 18.

I heard it was because Calgary Ownership mishandled potential trades for him in the past and didnt want to go through another round of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad