Proposal: Raanta to Calgary

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Think Edmonton got lucky with Talbot. Things usually don't work out like that.

Honestly I wouldn't pay much.

I want a tried and true starter.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd offer a conditional 2nd. 2nd if he starts more than 60% of our games and we make the playoffs, 3rd if only 1 of those are achieved, 4th if neither is achieved.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'd offer a conditional 2nd. 2nd if he starts more than 60% of our games and we make the playoffs, 3rd if only 1 of those are achieved, 4th if neither is achieved.

Rangers super fan Bernmeister will ask for your top forward prospect because Raanta is apperantly a god

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If the Flames want Raanta, they'll get Vegas to take him and then trade picks and/or prospects for him. Same logic for Grubauer, Pickard and Korpisalo.

Vegas has to take 3 goalies and can take as many 7. They'll likely want to keep one veteran (Howard, Halak, Lehtonen) and one younger goalie, leaving them free to trade any extras.

Calgary's only competition here is Winnipeg and maybe Philadelphia so the price won't be anything insane. A 2nd or 3rd + one of Shinkaruk or Wotherspoon or MacDonald or Smith will probably be enough.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If the Flames want Raanta, they'll get Vegas to take him and then trade picks and/or prospects for him. Same logic for Grubauer, Pickard and Korpisalo.

Vegas has to take 3 goalies and can take as many 7. They'll likely want to keep one veteran (Howard, Halak, Lehtonen) and one younger goalie, leaving them free to trade any extras.

Calgary's only competition here is Winnipeg and maybe Philadelphia so the price won't be anything insane. A 2nd or 3rd + one of Shinkaruk or Wotherspoon or MacDonald or Smith will probably be enough.

I dunno, we'd have to pay them what Fast or Lindberg is worth in the case of the Rangers, or Schmidt from the Caps.

Pickard though, probably cheaper.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd offer a conditional 1st in 2018.

If Raanta plays 50+ games during the regular season and Flames make playoffs = 1st

Otherwise, 3rd in 2018.

I really don't think the Rangers bite on such a deal though, but we do need to protect ourselves. There's are too many other options available for goalies that we don't need to paint ourselves into a corner.

I am also assuming that if we acquire Raanta, the 2017 1st was in play and used up on another young up and coming starter.

I've liked Raanta for a while and I think he has as higher chance of being a starter after tutelage from the King himself. But I really don't know if he's going to be a top 15 starter. We need a top 15 goalie. Not another 20-40th ranked NHL goalie.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Dont want Calgary to get Raanta, I think he's the real deal.

I don't think what you want matters in this case.

I'd do a conditional 2nd in 2018 for Raanta.
Getting him, Pickard or Grubauer and having them platoon with a veteran should be the plan for next season.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

If Raanta plays 50+ games during the regular season and Flames make playoffs = 1st

Otherwise, 3rd in 2018.

I really don't think the Rangers bite on such a deal though, but we do need to protect ourselves. There's are too many other options available for goalies that we don't need to paint ourselves into a corner.

I am also assuming that if we acquire Raanta, the 2017 1st was in play and used up on another young up and coming starter.

I've liked Raanta for a while and I think he has as higher chance of being a starter after tutelage from the King himself. But I really don't know if he's going to be a top 15 starter. We need a top 15 goalie. Not another 20-40th ranked NHL goalie.

Make that 3rd rounder a 2nd rounder and I'd be all about this just for the fact that the rewards could be enormous for us

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I think y'all are conflating the value of your second rounder from the Elliott trade with this year. The Elliott deal came with strings attached too.

I think the most likely answer would be a prospect and a second, if y'all have one.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Shoulda traded for Bishop's rights before Dallas did, then.

Bishop doesn't want to play for Calgary, he nixed it before it could even happen with his NTC. So there's that, even if Dallas can't sign him and he hits free agency, he still won't sign with the Flames.

When you refuse to go there via trade, you think he'll then go via free agency? There's teams out there that he can still sign with if Dallas can't figure it out, but it looks like Dallas wanted him and he wanted to go there so when Niemi or Lehtonen get bought out, they have the cap space to sign Bishop and be ok.

It's funny, Flames fans really don't want Fleury huh? It's basically anyone but MAF. Raanta is a solid back-up but I don't think he's a #1 caliber goalie. Not every back-up can be.

Montoya is a good back-up, not a #1.
Johnson is a good back-up, not a #1.

Sharks got lucky with Jones, Oilers got lucky with Talbot. Leafs tried with Bernier and that failed.

Have to wait and see what his contract is but I'll probably be happy we didn't get him.

Can't be happy you didn't get someone that didn't want to go to your team in the first place.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's funny, Flames fans really don't want Fleury huh?
We've been saying it all damn year but you guys just don't want to hear it. Fleury would not be a good acquisition for the Flames. If we wanted a 30-something inconsistent starter, we'd just bring back Elliott without playing the cost to acquire Fleury and save probably 3 million in cap space. We are better off using assets to try and find a long-term solution in net rather than a 2 year band-aid. I know people always bring up Gillies and Parsons, but we can't sit on our hands hoping one pans out or we'll just be in the same situation 2 years from now. The Flames were in on Cam Talbot and Martin Jones when those deals happened, so it should be no shock to anyone of the Flames were looking at guys like Raanta, Korpisalo, Grubauer, Pickard, Kuemper... etc.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I honestly don't really understand why Elliott's going. A Raanta-Elliott tandem would be pretty decent.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Otherwise, 3rd in 2018.

I like this.

Raanta is a very good goalie. Not ready to say he'll be as successful as Talbot has been with the Oil, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Honestly, I'm kind of hoping that Vegas takes him in the expansion draft so we don't lose one of Fast or Lindberg.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I honestly don't really understand why Elliott's going. A Raanta-Elliott tandem would be pretty decent.
I'm not sure he is going, a large percentage is trying to run him out of town because of a slow start and 2 poor playoff games. But I think just as many of us prefer him to return over acquiring someone like Fleury. I'd love to have an Elliott/Raanta duo personally

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00