Draft R5 #159: Rangers select RD Vittorio "Victor" Mancini (Omaha, NCAA)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's been pretty much a stay at home minute eating shutdown defenseman for Nebraska-Omaha which has been a pretty good college program.....ranked 11th in the nation this year and made it to the final 16. He's not shown a lot of offense at least so far.

He has a large frame 6'4 220 lbs. or about and skates really well. Doesn't take too many pm's. They're not always super exciting but steady defenders can and do make the NHL. When they do they usually have reasonable cap numbers.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
This dude related to Boom Boom?
This guy?

1712100397540.jpeg

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Both Mancini and Laba were not very popular picks in the 2022 draft. They've both become very legitimate prospects.

Chmelař, Rempe and Edström picks were criticised for picking players that "weren't even ranked". Especially with late picks, I've learned to just wait 2-3 years before complaining about the selections :laugh:

The only issue I have is when they draft guys that are 20 years or older like Virta and Lakatoš in 2017 for instance. But other than that, late picks are random throws at a dartboard. You just don't know.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Chmelař, Rempe and Edström picks were criticised for picking players that "weren't even ranked". Especially with late picks, I've learned to just wait 2-3 years before complaining about the selections :laugh:

The only issue I have is when they draft guys that are 20 years or older like Virta and Lakatoš in 2017 for instance. But other than that, late picks are random throws at a dartboard. You just don't know.
Yeah, this is very true. Most of the kids outside of the first 2-3 rounds of the draft, I don't know enough about to have an informed opinion, and I think that's true for most. Actually, I think most people even here at HF don't know enough to have an informed opinion about any of the prospects. It's just based on what they've read and they have no firsthand knowledge. That's not a criticism of anyone, because watching prospects that your team doesn't own can be boring, I get it. Unless your team is absolutely shit at drafting (and we are not shit at drafting), I think you need to give some benefit of the doubt to the scouts and wait a few years to see what the guys become.

If I look back 10 years, there are really only 2 picks that I was highly critical of off the bat. One was Olof Lindbom, and it had nothing to do with Lindbom himself. He was an okay selection if they wanted a goalie. It was about who was still left and also about taking a goalie that early at that stage of our organization's development. The other one was Simon Kjellberg, which we don't need to rehash. :laugh:

Anyway, patience is a virtue with these guys. Most guys never make it, and guy taken in the middle- and late-rounds are always going to be longshots. People need to just wait and see what happens.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Can he skate?
Actually, no he cannot. If he makes it to the NHL he will be the first player in league history to get around on the ice by scooting around like a dog with an itchy ass. :D

giphy.gif

But seriously, he's skating is good. Funny enough, as a freshman, he played on the first pair with Brandon Scanlin so it'll be nice if they reunify as a pair in HFD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad