Draft R5 #159: Rangers select RD Vittorio "Victor" Mancini (Omaha, NCAA)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Wow, another overage player. 20 year old playing in the NCAA already. Don't know anything about him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Wow, another overage player. 20 year old playing in the NCAA already. Don't know anything about him.
If I remember correctly he was in the draft last year? Had a weird developmental path. Played in Europe two years ago. I remember him from last year for some reason. Thought he was interesting.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is the most Italian thing I've ever heard.

It's like we used Polymerization on Tony DeAngelo, Vinni Lettieri, and Anthony Rizzo watching from the stands.

• Haha
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Following the links his dad Robert had quite the coaching, scouting, player development, some general management career at all kinds of levels including the NHL that took him all over Canada and the United States and even to South Africa.

Reactions: NYR Viper

djzbad

Jun 10, 2022
Sounds like a defense first guy with some size and bite that makes good reads

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
5 points in 38 NCAA games as an overager. Couldn’t wait until the 7th round to draft him?

Frank Vatrano too

Rangers had dinner reservations and left early. Didn't have time to trade down and stick around

1657375142109.png

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Mancini should have been drafted two years ago when he was playing with Frolunda. That J20 blue line was loaded and I think he was paired with Gabrielsson (Vancouver prospect) and sometimes Edvinsson. Loves to shoot and get involved on offense for big kid. Thinks defense first but not a stay-at-home type. Skates puck out on his own, soft, quick hands (really quick actually for such a big defender). Big hits in the NZ. Forgot he later went to college, but I saw Omaha had a bunch of older puck-rushing defensemen like Scanlin, Knoepke, Tychonick. Think Mancini can contribute more next season. I woulda been happy with this pick in 2020 or 2021 but he should not be the lone defensemen from this deep class.

And they passed on Koromyslov and Grudinin for a double overager, which is dust-smoking territory IMO.

Like the kid. Don’t like the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad