Draft R5 #144: Rangers select RW Jaroslav Chmelař

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I love how often I hear "strong on x"

The puck, his skates, away from the puck, etc, etc.

Then you actually see the kid outside a highlight reel and he's average at best in most or all of that.

That's why it really rreeeeeaaaally stands out when someone grades out flat out bad at something bc it means they must really be the drizzling shits for it to get mentioned

"Here's my under the radar guy, a generic platitude and some highlights I wont expand on to support my platitudes

It damn sure isnt like football where tons of really good X and O channels are springing up left and right and people actually make compelling 10+ minute videos where they clearly show what it is the players do well. Even watching draft shows on TV and listening to so many hockey analysts, it's so apparent hockey has a "full of shit" problem with the analysis that people serve up.

Yet it also has the most "I actually know it all. I had him at x number on MY board" community. Prob bc the gap bt the pro analysts and the average fan is about as wide as the gap bt two people in adjoining bathroom stalls.
Because football has what, 2 levels before the NFL? The good high schools get coverage, NCAA is all over TV. They play once per week.

Hockey has countless levels of play and obscure leagues in every corner of North America and Europe with little to no coverage and its not a sport where any judgement on a player can happen in one viewing. And games are played several times per week.

Hockey is actually a complex sport that requires the use and manipulation of unnatural objects. While football is as basic a sport as there is. Do you have feet, legs, and hands, can you stand and at least jog? You can play football. In some cases all you need is to be borderline morbidly obese and you can be a linesman. I can't for the life of me understand the fascination with that sport that has 5 seconds of "play" sandwiched between 10 minutes of commercials and mindless commentary.

There's almost no actual job a football "scout" needs to do... *Hears rumors somebody is good, sees they can run and catch and throw a ball*

Hockey players are assessed on their ability to skate, edge work, lateral and straightaway skating. Ability to avoid or absorb or dish out hits. Their ability to assess and read the game that's constantly in motion. Their ability to control the puck with their stick and have the vision and hand eye coordination to make smart plays at the speed of the pro game. What is their work ethic like and their preparation because hockey is played several times per week and can burn a player out.

And the overwhelming majority of the time the player a scout sees isn't the player they are when/if they reach the NHL, so the scout needs to be able to project what that player will be at the higher levels. A weak skater in midgets level can work on their skating and get stronger and become a great skater when they're older. An undersized player can have a growth spurt.

It's impossible for one person to track all the players at all the levels of play.

That's why hockey scouting isn't as exact as football and is full of misjudgements and players can come out of nowhere in the later rounds or even undrafted and become a good player. There's a billion variables. Whereas what's the actual gap from a top high school to NFL? Probably not much.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Because football has what, 2 levels before the NFL? The good high schools get coverage, NCAA is all over TV. They play once per week.

Hockey has countless levels of play and obscure leagues in every corner of North America and Europe with little to no coverage and its not a sport where any judgement on a player can happen in one viewing. And games are played several times per week.

Hockey is actually a complex sport that requires the use and manipulation of unnatural objects. While football is as basic a sport as there is. Do you have feet, legs, and hands, can you stand and at least jog? You can play football. In some cases all you need is to be borderline morbidly obese and you can be a linesman. I can't for the life of me understand the fascination with that sport that has 5 seconds of "play" sandwiched between 10 minutes of commercials and mindless commentary.

There's almost no actual job a football "scout" needs to do... *Hears rumors somebody is good, sees they can run and catch and throw a ball*

Hockey players are assessed on their ability to skate, edge work, lateral and straightaway skating. Ability to avoid or absorb or dish out hits. Their ability to assess and read the game that's constantly in motion. Their ability to control the puck with their stick and have the vision and hand eye coordination to make smart plays at the speed of the pro game. What is their work ethic like and their preparation because hockey is played several times per week and can burn a player out.

And the overwhelming majority of the time the player a scout sees isn't the player they are when/if they reach the NHL, so the scout needs to be able to project what that player will be at the higher levels. A weak skater in midgets level can work on their skating and get stronger and become a great skater when they're older. An undersized player can have a growth spurt.

It's impossible for one person to track all the players at all the levels of play.

That's why hockey scouting isn't as exact as football and is full of misjudgements and players can come out of nowhere in the later rounds or even undrafted and become a good player. There's a billion variables. Whereas what's the actual gap from a top high school to NFL? Probably not much.
The gap from top high school football to the NFL is absolutely enormous. Like, staggeringly so. Top high school football players, if you threw them into the NFL, would likely get seriously injured or killed. NFL players are some of the most well-conditioned athletes in the world. There was a defensive end at the NFL combine who is 6'5" 250 and he ran the 40 in 4.36, which is just un-f***ing-real. And then, the guy was the 189th pick in the draft. :laugh:

I understand your points about the difficulty of scouting some of these kids in hockey, but you're dramatically underselling a) what is required to be a successful NFL player, b) the gap between levels in the football, and c) the difficulty of scouting football players.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
The gap from top high school football to the NFL is absolutely enormous. Like, staggeringly so. Top high school football players, if you threw them into the NFL, would likely get seriously injured or killed. NFL players are some of the most well-conditioned athletes in the world. There was a defensive end at the NFL combine who is 6'5" 250 and he ran the 40 in 4.36, which is just un-f***ing-real. And then, the guy was the 189th pick in the draft. :laugh:

I understand your points about the difficulty of scouting some of these kids in hockey, but you're dramatically underselling a) what is required to be a successful NFL player, b) the gap between levels in the football, and c) the difficulty of scouting football players.
How does that person's strength, size, speed have anything to do with how difficult it is to scout them? That makes it easier. This is like the movie Blue Chips. For some of these sports all they have to do is hear about a person's athletic ability or height. And then get taught how to play that sport. It's a far deeper process for hockey. You can't find some teenager who's a freak of nature athlete or 7 feet tall who never played hockey or skated I'm his life and then try to teach him to skate and play hockey and plop him into the NHL like they can the NFL or NBA.

And are NFL players the most finely tuned athletes? Some Hawaiian linebacker that weighs nearly 400 lbs and is at risk of heart attack? Or some QB with a prototypical dad bod like the Manning brothers?

I definitely have a based opinion on this but it's still a fact that scouting in hockey is way more difficult than just about every other sport except baseball.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How does that person's strength, size, speed have anything to do with how difficult it is to scout them? That makes it easier. This is like the movie Blue Chips. For some of these sports all they have to do is hear about a person's athletic ability or height. And then get taught how to play that sport. It's a far deeper process for hockey. You can't find some teenager who's a freak of nature athlete or 7 feet tall who never played hockey or skated I'm his life and then try to teach him to skate and play hockey and plop him into the NHL like they can the NFL or NBA.

And are NFL players the most finely tuned athletes? Some Hawaiian linebacker that weighs nearly 400 lbs and is at risk of heart attack? Or some QB with a prototypical dad bod like the Manning brothers?

I definitely have a based opinion on this but it's still a fact that scouting in hockey is way more difficult than just about every other sport except baseball.
:laugh: Ok, guy.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
his #42 story reminds me of Jagr picking #68
I will end my comparison there.

Jágr's reason was political though, referencing the Prague Spring which didn't sit well with Russians at the time. Here's a quick overview.

Chytil: Birth year of his dad
Nedvěd: Year of his Canadian citizenship being approved
Kravtsov: License plate code for the Chelyabinsk oblast
Lundkvist: His uncle wore no 7, and he picked 27 as the 2nd person in his family to play for Luleå
Jones: His no 51 in junior hockey (UHSL) was because of Dany Heatley
Eric Ciccolini: His no 88 in junior hockey (GOJHL) was because of Eric Lindros
Brett Berard: His no 6 in the US NTDP is because of Brock Boeser
Igor Shestyorkin: His no 30 in the KHL was due to his idol, Henrik Lundqvist

Wait until you hear Othmann's reason.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Jágr's reason was political though, referencing the Prague Spring which didn't sit well with Russians at the time. Here's a quick overview.

Chytil: Birth year of his dad
Nedvěd: Year of his Canadian citizenship being approved
Kravtsov: License plate code for the Chelyabinsk oblast
Lundkvist: His uncle wore no 7, and he picked 27 as the 2nd person in his family to play for Luleå
Jones: His no 51 in junior hockey (UHSL) was because of Dany Heatley
Eric Ciccolini: His no 88 in junior hockey (GOJHL) was because of Eric Lindros
Brett Berard: His no 6 in the US NTDP is because of Brock Boeser
Igor Shestyorkin: His no 30 in the KHL was due to his idol, Henrik Lundqvist

Wait until you hear Othmann's reason.
I wish the Rangers had videos on why players pick their # if it was available. Kreider always had 20. And we had Prospal before him #20

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Chmelar has started his college career at Providence by going 5-3-8 in his first 10 games. He has primarily played in the top six all season and occasionally with Berard.

He's already huge at 6'5" and over 200 and looks it on the ice. He plays a power game and shows some decent skill, too. Definitely still raw (he'll be 19 until July) but he has plenty of time to develop, and if nothing else he should be a key player for a strong Providence team moving forward.

Might be a real find. Also, Steven said he goes by Jarin as a nickname, Providence and their announcers often refer to him as Jara, so you might see either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad