Draft R5 #144: Rangers select RW Jaroslav Chmelař

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It seems very likely that he will be a big part of the Czech’s junior teams the coming years. That is always good, all junior national teams invest a lot in their kids and helps them along and it’s of course a great incentive besides playing for your club team.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I love how often I hear "strong on x"

The puck, his skates, away from the puck, etc, etc.

Then you actually see the kid outside a highlight reel and he's average at best in most or all of that.

That's why it really rreeeeeaaaally stands out when someone grades out flat out bad at something bc it means they must really be the drizzling shits for it to get mentioned

"Here's my under the radar guy, a generic platitude and some highlights I wont expand on to support my platitudes

It damn sure isnt like football where tons of really good X and O channels are springing up left and right and people actually make compelling 10+ minute videos where they clearly show what it is the players do well. Even watching draft shows on TV and listening to so many hockey analysts, it's so apparent hockey has a "full of shit" problem with the analysis that people serve up.

Yet it also has the most "I actually know it all. I had him at x number on MY board" community. Prob bc the gap bt the pro analysts and the average fan is about as wide as the gap bt two people in adjoining bathroom stalls.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Then you actually see the kid outside a highlight reel and he's average at best in most or all of that.

That's why it really rreeeeeaaaally stands out when someone grades out flat out bad at something bc it means they must really be the drizzling shits for it to get mentioned

"Here's my under the radar guy, a generic platitude and some highlights I wont expand on to support my platitudes

It damn sure isnt like football where tons of really good X and O channels are springing up left and right and people actually make compelling 10+ minute videos where they clearly show what it is the players do well. Even watching draft shows on TV and listening to so many hockey analysts, it's so apparent hockey has a "full of shit" problem with the analysis that people serve up.

Yet it also has the most "I actually know it all. I had him at x number on MY board" community. Prob bc the gap bt the pro analysts and the average fan is about as wide as the gap bt two people in adjoining bathroom stalls.
Who shat in your wheaties?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Often times after a draft a player moves up to another league playing against older, stronger and more experienced competition so they have gaudy numbers one year and post draft they look like shit compared.....but that doesn't mean the player has taken a step back.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm not going to pretend I know anything of Chmelar because I don't. He's a big kid, though. I'll have to watch video on him...

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
One of the worst DY+1 years in recent history for a player in Finnish junior league? Just 18 points in 39 games, getting passed over by 2005 borns and 2006 borns. Caution to how players may look at U18 tournament

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
One of the worst DY+1 years in recent history for a player in Finnish junior league? Just 18 points in 39 games, getting passed over by 2005 borns and 2006 borns. Caution to how players may look at U18 tournament
I admittedly didn't watch him at all, as streams from that league are basically impossible to come by (to my knowledge), but statistically it was a very bad year.

If anyone didn't see it in the other thread, he's heading to Providence next year, where he'll play with Berard.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I admittedly didn't watch him at all, as streams from that league are basically impossible to come by (to my knowledge), but statistically it was a very bad year.

If anyone didn't see it in the other thread, he's heading to Providence next year, where he'll play with Berard.

He had offers from some other teams but he picked Providence because they were the most excited about adding him, and there's some familiarity with the Rangers having Berard there or course.

Reactions: egelband

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Let him go and play three or maybe four years there. I know anytime the Rangers draft a European prospect there's the hope this is finally the Datsyuk/Zetterberg or even an Arvidsson.

He'll have plenty of time to marinate and get stronger and hopefully he can improve.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Didn't put up great numbers this season, guess it's good he's going the NCAA route, maybe things can turn around.

Stinks the Devils drafted his teammate the round before him, he put up 48 points in 44 games, and going to Denver next season. Chmelař just put up 18 points in 39 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I do it my self at times, comment on players based on highlights, but I know as a fact that I can change my opinion a lot on players after watching them in full games and/or live. Did two rankings in 18’ and 19’ where I watched a ton of hockey in the spring and only included players I had seen and followed at least once for a full game. I was high on some kids after seeing the highlights and then didn’t include them at all in my top 31 since I just felt that they were too weak overall after seeing them live. It’s way to early to really evaluate those rankings, but it will be exciting to do in a handful of years. Think I will learn a lot from it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4