Draft R5 #144: Rangers select RW Jaroslav Chmelař

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Big, strong, good net game especially for a guy his age, will throw his weight around. Decent hands and skill. Skates pretty well.
I’ve watched a few providence games on top of his WJC and he’s been more impressive than I expected. Of all the big dudes we’ve drafted, he seems to have the most translatable skating and IQ. He tends to be around the puck a lot in a good way. Hope he continues to grow as now his job is to be more than just a surprise but a legit consistent kid that becomes a go to player next season for Providence. It’s only year 1 in college…

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I’ve watched a few providence games on top of his WJC and he’s been more impressive than I expected. Of all the big dudes we’ve drafted, he seems to have the most translatable skating and IQ. He tends to be around the puck a lot in a good way. Hope he continues to grow as now his job is to be more than just a surprise but a legit consistent kid that becomes a go to player next season for Providence. It’s only year 1 in college…

Yeah, there was no buzz around him on draft day, and even in the months after the draft. @nyr2k2 talked about his underwhelming numbers in the Finnish u20 league (SM-Sarja) for Jokerit but in the WJC and subsequently in the NCAA for Providence he has been impressive. The more physical style of hockey suits him.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and gravey9

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, there was no buzz around him on draft day, and even in the months after the draft. @nyr2k2 talked about his underwhelming numbers in the Finnish u20 league (SM-Sarja) for Jokerit but in the WJC and subsequently in the NCAA for Providence he has been impressive. The more physical style of hockey suits him.
Yes, this reinforces the peril of stat-surfing in evaluating players. His season was objectively bad given the league he was in and his statistical performance, but since I was not actually able to watch any of the U20 SM-sarja games (I don't know if they're even broadcast), all there was to go on were historical comps. He has looked pretty good in Providence--I'm not sure his overall numbers are truly reflective of his game-by-game level of play--but he has certainly shown that he is an interesting prospect with potential upside, and I look forward to watching him develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad