Draft R4 #106: Rangers select LW Kalle Väisänen

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Did I see a player named “Suomi” in that clip. If so, is that a common name?

Suomi is Finnish for 'Finland', so perhaps it was in an Ad or something?

edit - and a Google search tells me it's also a last name. Weird. I don't remember ever meeting somebody with the last 'Canada' haha

Reactions: nyr2k2

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Suomi is Finnish for 'Finland', so perhaps it was in an Ad or something?

edit - and a Google search tells me it's also a last name. Weird. I don't remember ever meeting somebody with the last 'Canada' haha
Yeah, it literally means Finland. But it was on the uniform where other players had their names. Thus my curiosity.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’ve seen America as a first name but never a last name. And of course America was named *after* Amerigo Vespucci. Anyhow, was just curious. It’s still the off-season for me :)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yes, as stated Suomi is also a surname. Not super common, but still. The funnier one is Reijo Ruotsalainen (played for the Rangers 81-86), his last name literally translates to "Swede".

Reactions: 007 and egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I’ve seen America as a first name but never a last name. And of course America was named *after* Amerigo Vespucci. Anyhow, was just curious. It’s still the off-season for me :)

~20 years back, working for an emerging tech company, my prime contact at a big name NE client had the last name America

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The manager of Italian Serie A (soccer) club Fiorentina is Vincenzo Italiano. There have been a few Italiano's in sports that I can recall.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He has exceeded expectations thus far simply by virtue of playing (almost) all year in Liiga, and for the top team no less.

It is a surprise he made it and will be an even bigger surprise if he plays in anything other than meaningless games, but good on him simply for making it. The Finn's had given him a lot of looks in U20 action this year so it's not totally out of the blue.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I feel he should get to the AHL as soon as he can play in that league. I feel his game is suited better on the smaller ice. I see Viktor Stalberg his upside and potential in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00