Draft R3 #97: Rangers select C Bryce McConnell-Barker (Soo Greyhounds, OHL)

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Plz draft C's for the rest of this draft. Sykora pick looking better and better now that they're doing the right thing and getting the position we need most in the minors.

This is the draft where I think we really need one of these C's to hit.

Reactions: brakeyawself

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Skating​

McConnell-Barker is a good but not great skater. He has a decent first step and good acceleration. His top-end speed is also above average. If McConnell-Barker is able to get a step on a defender, he can accelerate and create space. He also has the ability to go wide and drop his shoulder, cutting to the net. His ability to get around the ice allows him to get back quickly on the backcheck and play a 200-foot game. McConnell-Barker also has good edge work and agility. His cross-overs help him to add speed and power coming out of his turns. He also has good lateral agility allowing him to weave in and out of traffic.

McConnell-Barker has the power and balance to fight through checks. He also does a good job of winning battles on the boards and in front of the net. This should only improve as he gets stronger.

Started out hot then slowly faded.. possibly fatiguing and hitting a wall. He worked hard on 'getting bigger' during Covid which could have played a role. Not playing for an entire season doesn't help

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
In case anyone is wonder, this guy’s last name is over the create-a-player character limit in NHL 21.

Reactions: haveandare

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
iu

iu

iu

iu

Barker for the win. Bitch

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is a high reward swing for the fences pick WHO IS A CENTER and there are still people complaining lol.

Im a little bit worried about his game tailing off (if its a conditioning thing, no biggie) but most of the reports cite effort issues though I guess being tired as f*** can be construed as lazy.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Like this pick way better than Sykora. Kid has a chance to be good. But I still wish Drury had picked Kaskimaki or Ingram in the 2nd over Sykora. We don't need another middle 6 or bottom 6 defensive winger, a slow one at that.

Really think Kaskimaki has legit top 6 potential.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Respectfully disagree with every assessment regarding BMB’s skating and work ethic.

First of all, I watched 11 games but only the last two I isolated him and they were playoff games (tougher games, better goalies, etc) — the deciding Game 5 vs Guelph and the pivotal Game 4 in Round 2 vs Flint. This kid had himself a postseason and I don’t even know his stats off hand. He was one of the Soo’s best forwards in the Flint series and he was playing 20+, so obviously his coaches were happy with his effort. He would have played more if Kerins wasn’t one of the OHL’s best centers.

BMB was always the first one in on forecheck (effort, speed), first one to finish his check (effort), first one to react to a loose puck and het to it first (effort, speed). That level obviously died down by the third period, but these games were physical. Othmann and Hayes were hitting hard in the Flint series. Personally, in a third period of a playoff game, I’m looking for structure, puck management and poise over effort/hustle or battle level. Sometimes it’s actually wiser to avoid battling hard for every puck since OT could take three more hours and you’ll be combat ineffective. He was attacking the middle, initiating cycles, handoffs were clean. Lots of simple plays and looking confident. There were missed assignments, over-handles, icings, etc. But nothing remotely close to a skating problem or lack of effort. Literally the complete opposite. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong, but I really don’t think I’m wrong on this. And even if I was the worst judge of talent in history and I’m overstating his speed (again, which I’m not), he’s def not slow and that’s exactly what you want from a 6’1 190-pound center.

Anyway, he passed a lot of my tests and I shot him up from the 60s in January to mid-30s on the final. I actually wrote on my dry- erase board a “big bump” list, and BMB was the second guy after Jordan Gustafson. That’s why I got excited when they picked him.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
My write up on him:

Some words on him from my media/scout poll:

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
kinda reminds me of guys like spezza and corey perry when hes carrying the puck - not to say thats the level of player hell be - just has that rangy build, deceptive speed, carries the puck away from his body, looks pretty slippery 1 on 1. those are lottery ticket odds he approaches that level of player but i like his game and chances at becoming a decent nhl player, esp with the descriptions about his effort off the puck.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4