Draft R3 #97: Rangers select C Bryce McConnell-Barker (Soo Greyhounds, OHL)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Ranked #67 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #67 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #58 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #95 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #74 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #34 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #112 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #68 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #42 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #108 by SMAHT SCOUTING
Ranked #91 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Another pick I really like. I believe he played a lot on the 3rd line this season and still put up decent numbers, the 2 other centers on the team are both leaving so he should be the top line center going into next season.

Not bad at all for a very late 3rd round pick.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted fourth overall in the 2020 OHL Draft, McConnell-Barker saw what was supposed to be his rookie season in the league completely cancelled by the COVID Pandemic. Making up for his lost time, McConnell-Barker had a big rookie/draft season for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. He scored 23 goals and 26 assists for 49 points in 68 regular-season games. McConnell-Barker also added one goal and four assists for five points in 10 OHL Playoff games. He helped the Greyhounds to a five-game victory over the Guelph Storm in the first round. Unfortunately, the team suffered a five-game loss to the Flint Firebirds in the second round of the playoffs. McConnell-Barker also played for Team White at the CHL Top Prospects Game, contributing in a 3-1 victory.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Thought him or George would be good picks here. BMB ranked a bit all over the place but this is a big center with a good tool kit.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Scott Wheeler

57. Bryce McConnell-Barker — C, Soo Greyhounds, 6-foot-1

McConnell-Barker looked better whenever I watched the Soo this year than his 54 points in 78 combined regular season and playoff games might suggest at a glance. He was a top prospect in the 2004 age group growing up and he often looks the part, with a dangerous, natural wrist shot (that he was owed a few more goals out of), above-average hands and processing, and the right instincts all over the ice. He’s also a June birthday. I expect him to break out in a more prominent role next season after the Soo lose much of their core. He feels to me like a better prospect than where I have him slotted, as weird as that is to say.

Corey Pronman

48. Bryce Mcconnell-Barker, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

Jun. 4, 2004 | 6′ 1.0″ | 193 pounds | Shoots left

Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Background: McConnell-Barker was a notable player for the Soo this season and was a regular on the power play. His point totals don’t stand out but they had a deep offensive team and he was often on the second power-play unit. He was invited to Canada’s U18 camp in the summer and was the fourth pick in his OHL Draft.

Analysis: McConell Barker is a talented offensive player. He shows strong puck skills and overall creativity as a playmaker. He can pick corners and find seams off the half-wall and create off the rush with his skill and vision. He lacks speed for the NHL, but he works hard enough off the puck and will earn the trust of coaches. He projects as a full-time bottom-six forward whether at center or the wing.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Skating: Below NHL average
f48 (2).jpg

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Projection and Comparison​

McConnell-Barker could develop into a solid middle-six centre if he reaches his potential. With his size, skating, and defensive game, he could be used in all situations and play against the best players on the opposing team. He needs some more time in junior, continuing to improve his offensive game. It would be nice to see him be more consistent in terms of his production. Born in June, McConnell-Barker is a relatively young player in this draft, and there is still some development to do. He should spend another two years in the OHL before hitting the AHL, and then working his way to the NHL. His game is reminiscent of Anthony Cirelli. This is a stylistic comparison only though, and is not based on skill and ability.
Instantly my favorite prospect

just figure out which last name you want

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Redline : Bryce McConnell-Barker C 6'1 176Lbs LHS Sault St Marie Ranking was #78

Another Ontario ’04 birthdate whose development was slowed
by the loss of a season. A smooth and rangy centre with size and all the
physical tools necessary to be a real force in the OHL, yet he was never
any kind of force in our viewings. With his long, lanky frame, loose
wrists, and fluid skating ability, he looks like he should be a really productive
player – but he’s not. Should dominate down the middle. Has
size/strength, a powerful stride with good balance, and a heavy shot.
He’s able to pressure defenders with speed 1-on-1 and then capitalize
quickly if they take a false step. Forces defencemen to back off the
blue line and walks them down into the slot. Received quality 2nd
line icetime and PP duty on a strong club, yet is not a forceful player.
Seems to lack intensity. He’s a mystifying enigma.

Projection: Inconsistent 3rd line centre.
Style compares to: Ryan Poehling

Blackbook : 6'1 193Lbs (Big difference from Redlines weight) Ranked #101

He’s a good-sized centerman with good defensive attributes, reading the play well away from the puck, and has a good stick. He’s can be a good contributor to a PK unit because of those two assets. In our viewings this season, we witnessed some good anticipation on his part and his ability to create turnovers in the neutral zone because of it (combined with his
active stick). He’s an average skater whose top speed can actually be decent, but his first three steps are quite clumsy, and his agility is average at best. He can struggle with pace at times and needs to bring his skating to a higher level if he wants to play in the NHL.
We don’t see him as much more than a 4th-line center at this point, and his hands are one reason why. He doesn’t handle the puck well, sometimes handling it like a hot potato in transition. He can’t beat players one-on-one cleanly with his hands and only has an average shot. At times, he is too slow to get his shot off and there’s nothing special about its velocity. His playmaking is fine; he has above-average smarts, but his overall skillset is average. This even applies to his compete level, which we wish was higher and more abrasive, as this would make his projection as a 4th-liner more
certain.

Good reviews;

"I like him alot, I think he's going in the top 3 rounds"

Bad reviews;

"No Heartbeat, it's a common theme in the PHL this year"
"I liked him less the more i saw him. Too many games where i didnt think he competed hard enough"

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Redline : Bryce McConnell-Barker C 6'1 176Lbs LHS Sault St Marie Ranking was #78

Another Ontario ’04 birthdate whose development was slowed
by the loss of a season. A smooth and rangy centre with size and all the
physical tools necessary to be a real force in the OHL, yet he was never
any kind of force in our viewings. With his long, lanky frame, loose
wrists, and fluid skating ability, he looks like he should be a really productive
player – but he’s not. Should dominate down the middle. Has
size/strength, a powerful stride with good balance, and a heavy shot.
He’s able to pressure defenders with speed 1-on-1 and then capitalize
quickly if they take a false step. Forces defencemen to back off the
blue line and walks them down into the slot. Received quality 2nd
line icetime and PP duty on a strong club, yet is not a forceful player.
Seems to lack intensity. He’s a mystifying enigma.

Projection: Inconsistent 3rd line centre.
Style compares to: Ryan Poehling

Blackbook : 6'1 193Lbs (Big difference from Redlines weight) Ranked #101

He’s a good-sized centerman with good defensive attributes, reading the play well away from the puck, and has a good stick. He’s can be a good contributor to a PK unit because of those two assets. In our viewings this season, we witnessed some good anticipation on his part and his ability to create turnovers in the neutral zone because of it (combined with his
active stick). He’s an average skater whose top speed can actually be decent, but his first three steps are quite clumsy, and his agility is average at best. He can struggle with pace at times and needs to bring his skating to a higher level if he wants to play in the NHL.
We don’t see him as much more than a 4th-line center at this point, and his hands are one reason why. He doesn’t handle the puck well, sometimes handling it like a hot potato in transition. He can’t beat players one-on-one cleanly with his hands and only has an average shot. At times, he is too slow to get his shot off and there’s nothing special about its velocity. His playmaking is fine; he has above-average smarts, but his overall skillset is average. This even applies to his compete level, which we wish was higher and more abrasive, as this would make his projection as a 4th-liner more
certain.

Good reviews;

"I like him alot, I think he's going in the top 3 rounds"

Bad reviews;

"No Heartbeat, it's a common theme in the PHL this year"
"I liked him less the more i saw him. Too many games where i didnt think he competed hard enough"

Well that just took a bunch of wind out of the sails

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad