GDT: R2G5: Sieves vs Divers (9:45 ET; 7:45 MT)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I thought Graves was really good last night.

Yikes, what game were you watching? His PK work was atrocious (once again, Avs coaching staff, quit f***ing trying to make him into a shot-blocker, he is terrible at it) and he got absolutely scorched by noted speedster Joe Pavelski en route to Dallas's first goal. He also did nothing to challenge Benn or anyone else in the slot area. I thought it was another bad night for him.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
If Avs can make a commitment to stay out of the box and limit Dallas to 3 power plays or less in each of these two games, and Hutchinson is just ok (.900 or better), I think we do it. That would mean Dallas should only be at 2 or 3 goals max in each game

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
I thought Graves was really good last night.

I barely noticed Cole and Zadorov, which is probably good.

He was directly responsible for the third goal. Two failed clearances then couldn't tie up Benn in front of the net. The guy is literally the worst D-man at clearing the puck I've ever seen. Nemeth would ice it all the time, but at least he could get the puck out of the zone.

He also deflected the second goal past Hutch, and he got beat by Pavelski to the net on the first goal.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yikes, what game were you watching? His PK work was atrocious (once again, Avs coaching staff, quit f***ing trying to make him into a shot-blocker, he is terrible at it) and he got absolutely scorched by noted speedster Joe Pavelski en route to Dallas's first goal. He also did nothing to challenge Benn or anyone else in the slot area. I thought it was another bad night for him.
He failed to clear twice on the PK, with no pressure on him, and it lead to a goal. So frustrating

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He failed to clear twice on the PK, with no pressure on him, and it lead to a goal. So frustrating

TOTALLY. Once in front of the net and I think once over near the left corner. Puck was right on his stick and he failed miserably to get the puck out of the zone. He's definitely playing with zero confidence at present. Stars are nudging him into a very reluctant game.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The biggest problem with Graves is that he is so incredibly soft for a guy his size. He’d be involved in the scrums, but each time it’s him getting roughed up. His hits seem like a notch above the bearhug board pin. Weak as hell on his stick, and rather than taking the man/body he’s flailing around trying to hope that a puck hits him.

To start the playoffs I thought it was playoff jitters, but it just seems like he can’t process the play fast enough to be effective. The Dallas PP goal was a direct result of him being unable to clear. He gets the puck and instead of snapping it out, tries to gently cradle it and hold it for no reason
In terms of experience Graves is basically a rookie too. Nothing wrong with calling out his issues but he'll learn and grow with the rest of this group. What is difficult is that our back end without EJ leaves Cole as the vet back there and that isn't great. The forward group is in their Prime while the D is still coming into their own. It's gonna be fun when we get Cole and possibly Z off the back end and you bring in talent like Byram and Timmins with EJ as a mentor since he's been through it all with this group.

Hopefully the D catches up to the forwards in time. I think signing Pie would be a huge get for the back end from an experience perspective as well. This lets you move Graves, Cole and Z either off the team or down the line up more.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The biggest problem with Graves is that he is so incredibly soft for a guy his size. He’d be involved in the scrums, but each time it’s him getting roughed up. His hits seem like a notch above the bearhug board pin. Weak as hell on his stick, and rather than taking the man/body he’s flailing around trying to hope that a puck hits him.

To start the playoffs I thought it was playoff jitters, but it just seems like he can’t process the play fast enough to be effective. The Dallas PP goal was a direct result of him being unable to clear. He gets the puck and instead of snapping it out, tries to gently cradle it and hold it for no reason
I've had the same problems with him in October as I do now. He is incapable of clearing the puck on a PK. Hes not the only one but he really struggles with this for some reason and imo is a big reason why the Avs PK has been middle of the pack in the regular season and why it been horrid in this series.

Little things lead to big things and in the playoffs its even more amplified. If Nieto clears that puck on the PK in game two does Ian Cole take that penalty on Pavelski? Maybe, but probably not. That PK was the turning point in that game. The Avs blew a 2 goal lead because they couldn't clear a puck and then couldn't kill off the 5 on 3.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't understand all this talk about Graves having such great chemistry with Makar. *I* would have chemistry with Makar. Graves should be a bottom pairing defenseman at best.

Reactions: S3rkie

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Rewatching the game, still not acceptable to have that much time on a 5 on 3, and not score.
Yeah you absolutely HAVE to capitalise on 5-on-3's, and not doing so is a big reason why we let game 4 slip away.

That said, Khudobin absolutely robbed Makar with that top corner blocker save which was the best chance on that PP.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah you absolutely HAVE to capitalise on 5-on-3's, and not doing so is a big reason why we let game 4 slip away.

That said, Khudobin absolutely robbed Makar with that top corner blocker save which was the best chance on that PP.

Yeah, I seen that, but it does not look like they have a plan. They just take more time with the puck because they have more space, and try the same things. That being the only time they were robbed is funny in a sick way.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I actually thought the 5 on 3 had a very clear plan. They were looking for the cross crease one timer the entire time and kept moving guys around to try and open that lane up.

Makar had about as good a chance as you can possibly hope for. Sometimes you just have to give credit to the PK team and they played well on that one, good sticks in lanes and the most important PKer on the ice came up huge on the one chance the Avs were really able to open up.

All that said... It would be nice for the Avs PP to wake up again in game 6. 0/6 last night and just one PP goal in game 4(On a 5on3) isn't good enough and it really feeds into Dallas' willingness to play dirty and push the boundaries of what's legal because the Avs PP isn't making them pay.

On the flip side the Dallas PP has been very dangerous. It was what won them game 2, and what really got them rolling in game 4 as well. And we can see the impact as fans. Every time we take a penalty right now its a legit fear of a PP Goal for Dallas and I'm sure the boys feel the same, means they're playing more timid hockey and trying not to be aggressive at the risk of a penalty.

Average goaltending + a more dangerous PP these last 2 games is essentially what I think it will boil down to for Colorado winning this series.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I actually thought the 5 on 3 had a very clear plan. They were looking for the cross crease one timer the entire time and kept moving guys around to try and open that lane up.

Makar had about as good a chance as you can possibly hope for. Sometimes you just have to give credit to the PK team and they played well on that one, good sticks in lanes and the most important PKer on the ice came up huge on the one chance the Avs were really able to open up.

All that said... It would be nice for the Avs PP to wake up again in game 6. 0/6 last night and just one PP goal in game 4(On a 5on3) isn't good enough and it really feeds into Dallas' willingness to play dirty and push the boundaries of what's legal because the Avs PP isn't making them pay.

On the flip side the Dallas PP has been very dangerous. It was what won them game 2, and what really got them rolling in game 4 as well. And we can see the impact as fans. Every time we take a penalty right now its a legit fear of a PP Goal for Dallas and I'm sure the boys feel the same, means they're playing more timid hockey and trying not to be aggressive at the risk of a penalty.

Average goaltending + a more dangerous PP these last 2 games is essentially what I think it will boil down to for Colorado winning this series.

I was saying a plan specifically for a 5 on 3, that seems like their plan all of the time lol.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The way they came out at the start of the game last night, to me they looked like the team that stormed out against Arizona in Game #4 and Game #5. If they are able to come out that way again, they'll be tough to stop.

I kind of get where Bowness was coming from with his decision to start Bishop since Khudobin has also allowed several questionable goals during this series and in Game #4 but when you're up 3 games to 1 against a team like the Avs, that was an awful decision. He outcoached himself! Khudobin is the guy that got them there and while it wasn't pretty at times, they had a commanding lead in the series. Bowness basically shoves him aside for a more talented goalie but one that's completely ice-cold. Then, he has to go back to the other guy and has to rely on him.

Now the stars might very well still win this series but if they don't, for me that is the turning point. Now the Avs know exactly how they have to play to beat this team and if they are at their best - like they were in that 1st period last night - it's going to be difficult for dallas to bounce back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He always played a hard nose respective game in San Jose. No idea what happened.

San Jose has been the biggest bunch of divers for the past decade... Pavs was a big part of that. Plus he's always been hard nosed. Basically unless you are against those players for a series, fans love those types.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad