GDT: R2G5: Sieves vs Divers (9:45 ET; 7:45 MT)

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Need to stay out of the box.

That's literally impossible. Even if we didn't touch them the Dallas players would find a way to flop on the ice and draw a call. We just need to be better on the PK.

Edit: and I'll add, it's also impossible because you know Dallas is going to take penalties with their dirty play, and then the refs will make calls against us to even it up. That's how Jost and Graves ended up with tripping penalties and Cole with a holding penalty. None of those would have been called if the refs didn't feel the need to even things up. The teams literally ended up with 18 minor penalty minutes apiece. Nobody with a brain watching that game would say that both teams actually deserved equal numbers of penalties.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
That's literally impossible. Even if we didn't touch them the Dallas players would find a way to flop on the ice and draw a call. We just need to be better on the PK.

True. The officiating hasn’t been good, but they are still taking some bad penalties.

PK hasn’t been good, but a big part of it had been poor goaltending. Hopefully Clutchinson can help with that.

My least favourite penalty of the entire series was that interference call on MacKinnon when he blew Perry up. That was a guy destroying a diver in a puck battle and somehow a penalty was called.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
True. The officiating hasn’t been good, but they are still taking some bad penalties.

PK hasn’t been good, but a big part of it had been poor goaltending. Hopefully Clutchinson can help with that.

My least favourite penalty of the entire series was that interference call on MacKinnon when he blew Perry up. That was a guy destroying a diver in a puck battle and somehow a penalty was called.

Your description didn't even do that situation justice. It was a diver initiating contact with the puck carrier then falling to ground like he'd been shot, followed by the puck carrier getting called for interference. It's amazing to me that after all these years the refs collectively still haven't figured Perry out. It's not like he just started being a weasel on the ice.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Your description didn't even do that situation justice. It was a diver initiating contact with the puck carrier then falling to ground like he'd been shot, followed by the puck carrier getting called for interference. It's amazing to me that after all these years the refs collectively still haven't figured Perry out. It's not like he just started being a weasel on the ice.

The unsportsmanlike penalty on Kadri was garbage last night too.

Like, you’re going to call unsportsmanlike on Kadri when two players slash each other? It’s unfortunate that Kadri is being watched like a hawk and Pavelski and Perry are given more leeway.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The unsportsmanlike penalty on Kadri was garbage last night too.

Like, you’re going to call unsportsmanlike on Kadri when two players slash each other? It’s unfortunate that Kadri is being watched like a hawk and Pavelski and Perry are given more leeway.

I assumed at the time it was because of something Kadri said. Kadri certainly has a mouth on him. I'd hope it wasn't based purely on reputation, but with these refs you never know.

But if was purely based on the slashing, they could have also noticed that Pavelski had given Kadri about 4 or 5 small slashes as Kadri stood in the slot, and then given him the extra 2. It's honestly bizarre the way the NHL officiating works. It's like they want to reward players for acting like complete assholes on the ice and punish guys who try their best to play honorably but occasionally retaliate against guys who act like assholes.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Need to stay out of the box. The Dallas power play has been supremely effective the last couple games.

Benn and Pavelski get to park their slow asses in front of the net on the PP and tip pucks and whack at rebounds.

It’s harder for those guys to get to those areas at even strength.

Biggest issue I have with our PK. No one ever clears the crease and someone is always left wide open for in close chances.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Time to stop complaining about the refs. If they tighten it up like everyone wants, Dallas will start interfering/obstructing and slowing the Avs down. Colorado aren’t strong enough to do that to Dallas.

A lot of the calls are awful. It’s been often one-sided, but this officiating style is still better for Colorado.

Yep hasnt been a well called series... But if we skate like we know the team can, then they'll have no choice but to hold and hook.

We REALLY need to get the PP clicking for this to be an advantage tho. Cant believe we've had several 5 on 3s and havent really scored....

Reactions: MarkT

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Makar had a solid game again last night. Thought he skated well, looked dangerous with the puck and had a few nice rushes. Cant fault him on that Pavelski goal which should have been a penalty earlier. One day Cale is going to get a competent D partner and hes going to look even better. He will get to wander in off the blue line instead of watching his inept D partner do it over and over again.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I thought Graves was really good last night.

I barely noticed Cole and Zadorov, which is probably good.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
This highlight video screams elite sniper to me. He doesn't score 40+ because he rarely scores from tip ins, deflections, or "greasy" areas. I also don't think I've ever seen him shoot a puck off his backhand. Plus, he doesn't get the minutes to score 40+ because he's a defensive liability, and he doesn't play on PP1 very often. If you isolate the skill of shooting accuracy though, he's elite.

The goal at 4 minutes where he sneaks into the slot on the PP is something I'd love to see this team do more of.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
The Stars can afford to play this style. They don't care if they get penalties sometimes because they know the refs even it up the next time. Difference is we don't do shit on our PP and the Stars score almost at will.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I think we can pull this off. Avs have been the better team this series except fro goaltending and net front defense. I don't care about refereeing, it's always inconsistent just learn to accept it. But I think it's pretty apparent they cannot match our skill. Stars' top line was good in game 1 but I never notice them out there, minus Radulov on occasion.

Khudobin has been a beast, no idea why on earthy they started Bishop yesterday but thank you Dallas. But he's not unbeatable. I feel optimistic about pulling this off.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I think we can pull this off. Avs have been the better team this series except fro goaltending and net front defense. I don't care about refereeing, it's always inconsistent just learn to accept it. But I think it's pretty apparent they cannot match our skill. Stars' top line was good in game 1 but I never notice them out there, minus Radulov on occasion.

Khudobin has been a beast, no idea why on earthy they started Bishop yesterday but thank you Dallas. But he's not unbeatable. I feel optimistic about pulling this off.
Okay but those are both extremely important

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
This highlight video screams elite sniper to me. He doesn't score 40+ because he rarely scores from tip ins, deflections, or "greasy" areas. I also don't think I've ever seen him shoot a puck off his backhand. Plus, he doesn't get the minutes to score 40+ because he's a defensive liability, and he doesn't play on PP1 very often. If you isolate the skill of shooting accuracy though, he's elite.

It'd also help if he shot more. His shooting percentage is 37.5% these playoffs.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Stars can afford to play this style. They don't care if they get penalties sometimes because they know the refs even it up the next time. Difference is we don't do shit on our PP and the Stars score almost at will.
They also don't care because the Avs haven't made them pay for taking these penalties. If the Avs PP was mediocre they would think twice about taking penalties.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs have a fighting chance if Hutch continues to play adequately.

But they also have GOT to get better out of guys like Graves, who had yet another terrible night. Cole was also not good (though he at least had a great stop on Benn late in the game) but as I said before, this season is pretty much a write-off for him. Was impressed with Timmins, and apart from the bad penalty when trying to clear it and getting beat to a puck in the corner by Hintz (though that's not surprising) I didn't notice anything bad from his play.

The similarities between what happened with Nashville in the 1st round two years ago and what's going on now are quite striking. I'm hoping that the Avs break from that particular narrative in this upcoming Game 6 though, as we all know what happened to Hammond back then.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I thought Graves was his regular bad self lol.

The biggest problem with Graves is that he is so incredibly soft for a guy his size. He’d be involved in the scrums, but each time it’s him getting roughed up. His hits seem like a notch above the bearhug board pin. Weak as hell on his stick, and rather than taking the man/body he’s flailing around trying to hope that a puck hits him.

To start the playoffs I thought it was playoff jitters, but it just seems like he can’t process the play fast enough to be effective. The Dallas PP goal was a direct result of him being unable to clear. He gets the puck and instead of snapping it out, tries to gently cradle it and hold it for no reason

Reactions: The Kingslayer
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I despise our PP set up. You have two guys that are complete non-factors. Kadri is made completely ineffective because there are no shots to create scrambles, and Landeskog standing beside the net to...I don’t actually know what they are expecting him to do there.

Force Dallas to defend the front of the net by having two guys stand in front since they are basically there anyways. Dallas will either have one guy outmanned down low, or it will open space for Nate, Cale and Mikko if they want to clear out the front.

I really hate the Landy fly by tip that he keeps trying. He’s not screening the goalie and he isn’t in a position to actually tip the puck either

Reactions: arun and 5280

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad