GDT: R2G5 - Knights @ Avalanche - All About Speed - 7PM

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
I think you might be reading WAY too much into that little blowup between Bednar and MacKinnon a while back. If anything that was a crucial moment for MacKinnon to mature and evolve. He let his temper get the best of him and embarrassed himself in the process, and admitted watching the exchange and his fall afterwards "rattled" him. There hasn't been an incident since.

Oh, it's there.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
I'd like to see Mackinnon screaming at Roy and Roy screaming back it would be very entertaining.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'd like to see Mackinnon screaming at Roy and Roy screaming back it would be very entertaining.

D8BC4698-8ED9-4203-890C-2AE8245CB15B.gif

FA7D637B-A0FB-4881-A3AC-FC8E1CA9F97C.gif

BEA54C80-3316-4ACD-A691-64C13D4155D6.gif

upload_2021-6-9_18-50-10.gif

upload_2021-6-9_18-51-30.gif

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Part of this is on Bednar. Took him three games to make adjustments and have the Avs backcheck

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Adjustments? I feel like next game in Vegas will probably look the same as game 2, 3, and 4. We can only hope Mackinnon steps up.

Did you not watch Game 5? Either Vegas was winded by the altitude and Avs chants, or Avs played significantly better. They kept backchecking and stealing the puck from Vegas, and guarded against their cherrypicking. It was a success; Avs were the better team. Unfortunate that Graves thought he was Bobby Orr

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
I think it's probably a little of both, The avs tend to play more aggressive if their opponent backs off a little.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Mackinnon allowed a team with 2 4Cs and a 4RW playing 2C after him to look like world beaters in round 2. He’s done the same when Kadri is in a funk. There’s nothing wrong with Mackinnon and Makar, the rules are different on the playoffs and they’re being dialed in on the same way Mcdavid and Matthews were. If the NHL was interested in promoting the league through its stars they wouldn’t play one sport in the regular season and one in the playoffs. But clearly that’s not what they’re going for and teams need to plan accordingly

The problems in this series is not Mackinnon’s personality but rather:

- the roster and system are both built for regular season levels of physicality and interference. Everyone in the league knows this is how it works, build your team and design your scheme accordingly
- the team identity is speed but due to injury and a poor deadline acquisition half of our d corps can’t skate. We can afford 1 Connor Timmins or Ryan Graves on this roster, we can’t have both plus Nemeth
- our coach can’t make in game adjustments
- we had bad center depth to begin with and our 2C is an idiot that got suspended so we’re running a 4RW at 2C
- our main sources of secondary scoring are notoriously streaky and picked the worst possible time to go cold (Burakovsky, Donskoi)

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
2014 Minnesota Wild vibes, man. Avs dictate play in games 1 and 2, Minnesota figures something out and starts to run train on us in games 3 and 4, Avs squeak out a lucky OT win in game 5, get a train ran on them again in game 6 and then choke in game 7.

Only difference this time is the amount of games. This one is done in game 6, Vegas doesn't need the extra game because they're much better than that Wild team ever was.

Yep. Very similar feeling.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Marchand understands that a dirty, greasy goal in a goal-mouth scrum counts as much as a highlight reel 5 deke, 3 head fake top shelf tally, while Nathan MacKinnon STILL hasn't figured that one out yet.

Yep. This is something our team needs to learn not just Mackinnon

Saad is great example btw

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Part of me thinks losing here would be a blessing in disguise if it gets us a better coach cos we were never gonna beat Tampa and probably not a tight defensive NYI team under Trotz either with Bednar as coach. A 2nd round exit rather than a finals one surely gets us a different and hopefully better coach. Obviously would be a different story if our window was closing this year but we still have a bit of time I think and it also forces Sakic to make some moves for a more competitive playoff roster.

Reactions: drhiii

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Part of me thinks losing here would be a blessing in disguise if it gets us a better coach cos we were never gonna beat Tampa and probably not a tight defensive NYI team under Trotz either with Bednar as coach. A 2nd round exit rather than a finals one surely gets us a different and hopefully better coach. Obviously would be a different story if our window was closing this year but we still have a bit of time I think and it also forces Sakic to make some moves for a more competitive playoff roster.

What coaches are available who exceed Bednar in terms of coaching ability?

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
What coaches are available who exceed Bednar in terms of coaching ability?

Gallant would be top get but we aren't getting him.

I'd be partial to Julien tbh. I don't think he's as much of a has-been as people say. His line-up choices would not have suited us a couple years ago with young players coming but they'll be okay now. He'll have the team playing good aggressive hockey and we'll still have more shots and possession but without as many defensive lapses imo.

I could be wrong I don't pay too much attention to available coaches I just know after watching these playoffs Bednar ain't it when the team fails to pick up obvious things that even the broadcasters are mentioning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad