GDT: R2G2 - Knights @ Avs - Night Night, Knights - 8PM

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought Landy was HORRIBLE last night. Made some insanely dumb turnovers, was whiffing on shots, sending others wide, etc. Something seemed very off with MacKinnon as well. He also made some terrible decisions with the puck. I don't know if that was a direct result of DeBoer using the Stone/Patches line against them or not, but they need to be way better at puck management going forward.
Poor decisions with the puck can be forgiven at times in the offensive zone if the pressure is suffocating.

However, MacKinnon was playing so stupid in the D-zone last night with how he just fired pucks to nobody and to nowhere.

His competitive spirit drives him but there are times when that frustration is just bad to watch on the ice.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Poor decisions with the puck can be forgiven at times in the offensive zone if the pressure is suffocating.

However, MacKinnon was playing so stupid in the D-zone last night with how he just fired pucks to nobody and to nowhere.

His competitive spirit drives him but there are times when that frustration is just bad to watch on the ice.

Yeah...when things get clogged up he has a tendency to force it and that leads to disaster more often than not.

But he still wasn't guilty of the worst turnover on that line. Landeskog dished it just outside his own blueline up the middle with a awful flip pass to no one that got picked off and sent the other way.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

A lot of panic hockey from Nathan last night.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I’ll be going the T-Mobile tomorrow night. Hopefully some other Avs fans are there.
Lucky guy. I checked tickets today and it'd be cheaper for me to fly to Vegas and buy a good seat than it would be for me to buy a ticket for a game in Winnipeg or Montreal. I can't imagine what tickets would be like in Edmonton if they allowed fans.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Avs had no business winning this game, and I thought Smith's OT penalty was weak (considering it looked like Rantanen only had one hand on his stick).

But good teams find ways to win on off-nights. :dunno:

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I thought Landy was HORRIBLE last night. Made some insanely dumb turnovers, was whiffing on shots, sending others wide, etc. Something seemed very off with MacKinnon as well. He also made some terrible decisions with the puck. I don't know if that was a direct result of DeBoer using the Stone/Patches line against them or not, but they need to be way better at puck management going forward.

That back hand sauce to the Knights player was something special.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Newhook saw speed and tenacity he's never seen before last night. He seemed invisible. Ranta threw some solid hits and chipped a few into the zone, at least. I don't remember ever seeing Newhook and saying "at least he did something good there."

What am I missing as far as LOC being inserted into the lineup? I agree Sherwood should replace one of the two rooks.

I don't know, maybe Bedsy wants them to keep getting the baptism under fire unless they lose the next game and is forced to make changes?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Avs had no business winning this game, and I thought Smith's OT penalty was weak (considering it looked like Rantanen only had one hand on his stick).

But good teams find ways to win on off-nights. :dunno:

I thought it was kinda soft in terms of what they usually allow in OT, but also, it was still a penalty, so I'm okay with it. Vegas had multiple opportunities to put it away, including a late one in regulation, and didn't do it.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Newhook saw speed and tenacity he's never seen before last night. He seemed invisible. Ranta threw some solid hits and chipped a few into the zone, at least. I don't remember ever seeing Newhook and saying "at least he did something good there."

What am I missing as far as LOC being inserted into the lineup? I agree Sherwood should replace one of the two rooks.

I don't know, maybe Bedsy wants them to keep getting the baptism under fire unless they lose the next game and is forced to make changes?

I didn't like Newhook's body language at all last night, definitely a lot of pressure and discomfort even a 4th line role playing his non-natural position. He'll snap out of it though.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Anyone think Kaut should get a game? I think he's better than Ranta as a more defensive minded 4th liner.

Naw. Kaut is a disaster as a 4th liner. You have to play with intensity and energy to be a 4th liner and Kaut just isn't that guy. Either use him in the middle six or keep him off the ice.

I'm guessing one of Newhook or Ranta will come out of the lineup and Soda will factor back in. Bednar said one of the things he felt comfortable with concerning Ranta's usage was that he had better control over matchups, which he won't have in Vegas.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Yeah, I'm in the camp of who gives a crap how they win. Just. Get. It. Done. Boys.
Play your game. You're allowed 1 stinker per series and that is it. Got it, boys?
I think they got humbled after believing the hype and should play more like we expect in the next game. I'm with the others in that if we go 0'fer in their barn, they have all of the momentum and we're in extreme danger.

On the bright side, maybe VGK shot their wad last night and may be a half step slower. That can be the difference.
With that being said, the crowd will probably give them that extra step, dangit.
I expect more of the same the next game but the big line will get it together a bit.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's a team game, with a lot of different pieces helping to win or lose. Last night, it was just Grubauer's turn to put the team on his back and will them to a win when the rest of the team fell flat. Outstanding performance, positively Roy-like. So did the Avs deserve the win? Hell yes, Grubi is part of the team and part of the solution, so credit to the Avs where it's due that they bent but didn't break. This was Vegas's best shot, and the series is still 2-0. Take just one of these next two on the road and it's all over.

Mitch Matthews

Sep 13, 2019
As an outsider I see an Avs team that plays fast clever hockey.

Avs Team speed up the ice is absolutely insane. Puts the opposition team on their back foot. I don’t think they are expecting, nor ready for that speed. And it's not just one player flying up ice

Last edited:

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango

Just my two cents, but I don't think Sherwood or Soda represent an immense improvement over Ranta and Newhook. Furthermore, the dilemma only exists while Kadri is out ( or, admittedly, until the next injury.) That gives you Mac > Kadri > Jost > Belle, with JTC and Newhook as 4W. If and when LOC gets healthy, I would even consider Newhook as 4C, between LOC and Compher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad