GDT: R2G1 - Avalanche @ Stars - 7:30PM - Nate Wick

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Random afternoon bored at work thoughts... on things already discussed (I'm still on the high of the comeback win).

Wood does that on occasion, he's fast, but not 'explosive' Nate fast (like 1-2 steps), so he makes the most of it with those chip plays. I remember noting this when we got him, and he had several in the Jets series too. He gets a chip, or chips to himself, and just puts his head down.

Do Dallas fans not remember the 5 on 3? :laugh: Georgie with 2 GAA outside of that, honestly the Stars overall got outplayed and just as easily could have been an Avs regulation win lol. I would be really concerned about figured out how to score more if I'm Dallas... but I'm sure they'll just try to trap. If you're worried, Avs started dumping early in the 2nd and whatsherface even asked Bednar on the bench and he said 'we have to get it behind them' and then gave a look like 'oops did I say too much'

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This game started out annoying af on many levels.

Firstly, I had to wait until I thought the game was over, because playoff games shown on ESPN or ESPN2 can't be started from the beginning or rewinded while live on ESPN+. Assholes!

Then when I finally go to watch the game all excited it starts 10 minutes into the 1st period, and I see the Stars are already up 1-0 and then immediately score again to make it 2-0. Then later 3-0. Dammit!

Then after the Avs crawl back to make it 3-2, the stream ends with 1:34 to go in the 2nd period and doesn't show any of the 3rd, with no other broadcasts to stream. Not coincidentally right when the Leafs-Bruins game ends in OT and they switch over and welcome the broadcast to the Avs game. Arrgggh!

Complete amateur hour donkey show from ESPN, on the heels of cutting away from the Leafs-Bruins tied game in the final minute of the 3rd to go to the pregame of the Avs. Doh!

Luckily I knew this team has it in them to comeback and win these games, so I stuck it out after it started 10 minutes in without spoiling the result, and witnessed one of the best comebacks in Avs history.

What a 2nd period. What a play by Cale to setup the tying goal. What a rush by Miles. What a game!

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Even if it was just his scoring touch you should be able to show me at least once per game when miles wood blows by an elite skating d man. Highly doubt he had 99th percentile amount of breakaways this year

It’s because people around here think their word is gospel and don’t allow others to voice an opinion even when they’re proven correct

Nobody is stopping you from voicing your opinion. You're literally on a message board, voicing your opinion right now. What a weird thing to say.

Also, a great defenceman getting burnt by one of the fastest players in the NHL in straight-line speed is NOT proof that Miro was tired. It literally doesn't prove anything. Maybe he was tired. Maybe he just underestimated how fast Wood is. Who knows. You don't. I don't.

You saying "I'm right, this is proof" and then sticking your fingers in your ears is childish. You say you aren't allowed to voice your opinion and then shout down other people's opinions yourself. Pretty hypocritical.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Who is that?
Shean Donovan.

Sure was. Couldn't even spell his first name right. WTF was that?

Anyways - if speed was the only factor in scoring 40+ goals, Rico Fata would have been a hall-of-famer.
Rico Fata... it has been a long time, but I shared the ice with him a few times and to this day he's still the fastest skater I've ever seen on the ice. In the peak clutch and grab days he could still hit speeds we are seeing today. He would have broken records today... and still struggled to stay in the league.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Ya know what guys you’re right I’m wrong. Miro routinely breaks up McDavid and MacKinnon rushes but got bested by miles wood after logging the most TOI of any player last night just because. Tip your cap we just signed a future hall of famer to a 6x2.5 contract ppl.

I think your right(and so do alot of Dallas fans). 5D was an issue for Dallas last night. Only way it'll work is if they can slow Colorado down. They couldn't last night and it had an impact.

Wood can burn anybody in a straight line. Not sure fatigue had much to do on that specific play. Could maybe argue Miro's positioning. Probably could have done more once he got beat.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
His history this season has shown he's much better when he plays often.

In the regular season he had a 3.81 GAA and an .876 save percentage when he had 3 or more days of rest. With 2 days of rest he was at 2.65 and .915. Night and day.

Wow, that's a very meaningful stat. Incredible difference! Thanks for sharing that.

I'd also point out that the team in front of him has lots of problems with multiple days off. Bednar himself has pointed this out. George hasn't been perfect this year, but that has to impact his numbers in those 3+ day off games.

Reactions: GeoRox89

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Really hope that OT builds George's confidence. He looks so unsettled in the net to me. Fighting everything. It is kinda crazy how he bounces back tho. After game 1/last few games of the season he looked toast. Comes out tonight and lets in a few softies but than completely shuts the door in OT.

It would have been nice to get some big saves on those goals, but I'm not sure they were even softies.

First goal he was totally screened. Couldn't see anything.

Second went off Cale's stick, you could see it change directions going far side, and then short side. That's why it handcuffed him. Cale hung his head afterwards and admitted it after the game.

3rd was another deflection on the doorstep.

George hasn't been perfect this year, but I'm not sure I've seen a goalie face more flukey or deflected goals in a season. They seem to happen regularly. Kind of strange.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I still can't believe the speed at which Wood went forehand backhand on that OT winner. Even in slomo that looks fast.

North-South donkeys like Wood who don’t overthink things(they can’t) are usually effective in overtime scenarios.

They don’t have the IQ to be passive or conservative so it sometimes results in what we saw; complete explosion of speed past a Heiskanen who played 30 minutes and wasn’t ever going to be able to contain that hoss driving the net.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
damn Woody's got a muffin

IMG_0452.gif

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Shean Donovan.

Rico Fata... it has been a long time, but I shared the ice with him a few times and to this day he's still the fastest skater I've ever seen on the ice. In the peak clutch and grab days he could still hit speeds we are seeing today. He would have broken records today... and still struggled to stay in the league.
Lol no way Rico Fata! My childhood home neighbor played against him growing up said Rico would take slap shots from the redline and score against them constantly in peewee

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Are we talking about Mikko here? If so, it is just that he is a lazy F. Simple as that. An incredibly talented one who you deal with his issues because he can break a game open at any point and create goals where few can. Still doesn't change that he's lazy. Kucherov is another one of that sort. Jagr in his prime had the same stigma.
Mack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad