GDT: [R2/G6 Stanley Cup Playoffs] Dallas Stars @ Seattle Kraken - 4:00 p.m. PT / 7:00 p.m. ET

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I'm a Hakskol skeptic, too. But your points suggest that you are watching another team. The Kraken were 6th in the league in scoring this year, up from 29th in the maiden season. Defensvely we approved from 24th in the NHL to 15th. All with basically the same awful goaltending that we had in 21/22.

The Kraken improved by 40 points during the regular season, made the playoffs and knocked off Colorado in the first round.

Give the guy some credit. If he were fired today, he wouldn't be unemployed long.
Yeah, but if you watch them (at home at least) you start to see they have issues chasing in their own end, they give up a lot of high danger chances, they struggle with keeping guys contained near the net (see Pavs and his 8 freaking goals). It’s part of why every goalie has sucked. Make the first save, no help for the guy alone in front looking for the rebound.

Offensively they get too fancy, make extra passes, pepper the net with low danger shots. That’s gotten better but it’s still an issue.

I do like the higih pressure game they play.

And yet given that Hakstol's "led" the Kraken to their "best" season in franchise history going to be a while before he's let go.

Sure feels like all their success is in spite of Hakstol...Not because of him.
If he sucks next year and they have a better option then no reason not to fire him.

I don’t think it’s in spite, he has them playing pretty high intensity hockey. I do think his system has a few flaws they can’t seem to consistently work out.

It’s why they lost 2 in a row, why they suck at home, why they couldn’t do any bette than 7th despite being very well positioned down the stretch.

I could also see them taking a big step back next year and him not being able to adjust.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
oh SNAP! i can’t believe i missed this amazing generosity from Kranuck!!
Some guy grabbed them for about half price in the app.

Just glad they didn’t go to waste. According to my buddy the guy was cool and new fan to hockey (this year). :)

I wouldn’t even have watched from home if my phone didn’t remind me. Completely missed the time.

Reactions: seakraken

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Yeah, but if you watch them (at home at least) you start to see they have issues chasing in their own end, they give up a lot of high danger chances, they struggle with keeping guys contained near the net (see Pavs and his 8 freaking goals). It’s part of why every goalie has sucked. Make the first save, no help for the guy alone in front looking for the rebound.

Offensively they get too fancy, make extra passes, pepper the net with low danger shots. That’s gotten better but it’s still an issue.

I do like the higih pressure game they play.

If he sucks next year and they have a better option then no reason not to fire him.

I don’t think it’s in spite, he has them playing pretty high intensity hockey. I do think his system has a few flaws they can’t seem to consistently work out.

It’s why they lost 2 in a row, why they suck at home, why they couldn’t do any bette than 7th despite being very well positioned down the stretch.

I could also see them taking a big step back next year and him not being able to adjust.
Even the most ardent follower of hockey outside this fan base would be hard pressed to name five Kraken. The team has a great player in Jared McCann, and a superstar in the making in Matty Beniers but nobody you’ll find among the league’s top scorers at either forward or defense.
So, what happened between last year and this year? A 100% buy in to Hakstol’s coaching. Balanced scoring that has continued throughout the playoffs. A belief they can win.
Is their execution without flaws? Of course not, but to suggest the men on the bench would be better under a different coach than Hakstol is to discount a guy who seems to be extracting the best possible outcome with what he’s got to work with.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Even the most ardent follower of hockey outside this fan base would be hard pressed to name five Kraken. The team has a great player in Jared McCann, and a superstar in the making in Matty Beniers but nobody you’ll find among the league’s top scorers at either forward or defense.
So, what happened between last year and this year? A 100% buy in to Hakstol’s coaching. Balanced scoring that has continued throughout the playoffs. A belief they can win.
Is their execution without flaws? Of course not, but to suggest the men on the bench would be better under a different coach than Hakstol is to discount a guy who seems to be extracting the best possible outcome with what he’s got to work with.
Vince Dunn was 10th in defensive scoring.

100% buy in to a shitty system isn't good.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
We did it. We forced another game seven.
giphy.gif

The guys played their hearts out and absolutely deserved this one, sending the series back to Dallas and all the pressure as well.
giphy.webp

Allowing that first Dallas goal was pretty bad but they never got down or let them take over and showed how much they wanted it.

We've also chased the "best goalie remaining" for the second time in six games as well.

Let's see how this one goes on Monday(Oettinger usually responds well after games like this) and just give em hell.

Also, let's celebrate forcing another Kraken playoff game and cue that happy song...

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Vince Dunn was 10th in defensive scoring.

100% buy in to a shitty system isn't good.
Why are you here? Seriously. It’s great that you go to games, fine that you contribute here, but do you even LIKE the Kraken? I’m not suggesting you have to be a blinders on fan boy, but have you noticed the “shitty system” (that is not without flaw, as I noted) has this team a game away from the Conference Final?
Your post after the game five loss, wishing the same result for game six to “end the embarrassment”, suggests the hostility of a rival fan just trolling.
My life doesn’t revolve around the Kraken winning, assuredly, but your presence on this board shouldn’t hint at your life revolving around them failing.
You’re a difficult book to read.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Why are you here? Seriously. It’s great that you go to games, fine that you contribute here, but do you even LIKE the Kraken? I’m not suggesting you have to be a blinders on fan boy, but have you noticed the “shitty system” (that is not without flaw, as I noted) has this team a game away from the Conference Final?
Your post after the game five loss, wishing the same result for game six to “end the embarrassment”, suggests the hostility of a rival fan just trolling.
My life doesn’t revolve around the Kraken winning, assuredly, but your presence on this board shouldn’t hint at your life revolving around them failing.
You’re a difficult book to read.
Its kind of interesting that a team with a "shitty system" and no star players are 1 game away from the WCF. And teams with star players and "better coaches" are not making it that far.

I still have reservations about Hakstol but shitting on this team during the playoff run they have had is kind of asinine.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Its kind of interesting that a team with a "shitty system" and no star players are 1 game away from the WCF. And teams with star players and "better coaches" are not making it that far.

I still have reservations about Hakstol but shitting on this team during the playoff run they have had is kind of asinine.
Completely asinine, and, I suspect, not particularly forthright. But for me, ignorance is bliss as I availed of the "ignore" feature immediately after the comically-stupid "end the embarrassment" post. Life's too short to suffer such tripe.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
As a totally new guy to this board, I have to say I feel right at home. I was a Lightning STH for over 20 years until moving to Reno. (You wanna know hot and humid? Its one of the reasons I moved) I had a mild interest in the Sharks, and then the Knights since they were both available on cable channels here in Reno. But, there's alot of hockey savvy and history here in the PNW, and I can tell there are a number here that played or still play the game.
This group has come SO far, SO fast, its hard to fathom. No matter what happens tomorrow night, you guys have alot to be proud of and look forward to. Yannni was and still is my favorite player. Lets hope he and the GEM each pot one tomorrow night and move on to the Conference Finals.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Vegas will be our competition if we win tomorrow. Wouldn't that be rich? The two newbies making the Conference finals.

Sidenote: Canadian factoid many Americans are probably not aware of: With Edmonton's elimination, 30 years have now gone by since the last Canadian team, Montreal in '93, won the Stanley Cup. In that period, only five Canadian teams (Montreal and Vancouver twice and Calgary once) have actually even made it to the finals.

Reactions: Renopucker

JelloPuddyPops

"Gotta support the team."
Oct 9, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Vegas will be our competition if we win tomorrow. Wouldn't that be rich? The two newbies making the Conference finals.

Sidenote: Canadian factoid many Americans are probably not aware of: With Edmonton's elimination, 30 years have now gone by since the last Canadian team, Montreal in '93, won the Stanley Cup. In that period, only five Canadian teams (Montreal and Vancouver twice and Calgary once) have actually even made it to the finals.
Edmonton in 2006 and Ottawa in 2007.

Reactions: kihei

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
If the Kraken pull it off tonight, 3/4 of the remaining teams have never won, that’s cool, makes me almost want Florida to win the east... I don’t DARE say which team I want the Kraken to play though. I’m only saying it would be neat to have a guaranteed first time cup winner final.

Reactions: Renopucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad