GDT: R1G6 - Avs @ Kraken - Going Down Fighting - 8PM

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
What’s the league going to do if Seattle and Vegas meet? The refs are going to spontaneously combust anytime they have to choose who to make calls on.
They would favor Seattle because it would look great for the league to attract new teams and owners:
"Look how well both the last two expansion teams did. We'll help you do the same. Don't worry."

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Malgin has been disappointing this series for me.

Maybe I was naive, but I actually thought he’d be a solid depth option going into the playoffs. I felt pretty good about him on the 3rd line, tbh.

He was actually pretty good in the regular season. He carried the puck through the neutral zone well and created good opportunities. He just hasn’t been close to what he showed in the regular season though.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Maybe I was naive, but I actually thought he’d be a solid depth option going into the playoffs. I felt pretty good about him on the 3rd line, tbh.

He was actually pretty good in the regular season. He carried the puck through the neutral zone well and created good opportunities. He just hasn’t been close to what he showed in the regular season though.
I think he is what he is: a very streaky forward who can probably produce on a bad team but you want nowhere near your lineup if you are trying to win.

That said, he is only playing 5 minutes and is at least trying to engage physically with hits and board battles.

Reactions: MacKaRant

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Everyone see the difference when this team skates? And works hard to win the 50/50 battles?

Avs controlled that entire game from start to finish. Shots were 39-23, but they were 38-18 with a couple minutes to go. Should have won 5-1 with Bo’s goal.

How’d they manage to do that against a team so much better than them? Because just like with Vegas, that wasn't the true team earlier in the series. They haven’t played the way they’re capable of.

And it’s not like Seattle played poorly, they played the same game they’ve played all series. But the Avs didn’t.

That was the difference. Even with a depleted lineup and one line scoring, they carried the play all night, and gave the Kraken almost nothing.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Someone at the Athletic, think it was Dom L., has been studying player size and success in the regular season vs the playoffs. He mostly uses this on a team basis to determine heavy teams. But the data also suggests that most smaller players who are good during the regular season can struggle come playoffs. And he was highlighting star players. Of course, there were some unicorns out there (hello, Martin St. Louis), but I feel Malgin probably falls into this category. I would be totally fine with him starting on the roster next season...but he might be the guy that loses ice-time after we make upgrades at the deadline (if that becomes a thing again).

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
I would keep Malgin, and the Johnsons at 1mil max 1 year deals for depth. I think Malgin can be a 30 pt guy. He was putting up points with Nuke and had good chemistry with him. Assuming Nuke is back next year. Ugh.

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Everyone see the difference when this team skates? And works hard to win the 50/50 battles?

Avs controlled that entire game from start to finish. Shots were 39-23, but they were 38-18 with a couple minutes to go. Should have won 5-1 with Bo’s goal.

How’d they manage to do that against a team so much better than them? Because just like with Vegas, that wasn't the true team earlier in the series. They haven’t played the way they’re capable of.

And it’s not like Seattle played poorly, they played the same game they’ve played all series. But the Avs didn’t.

That was the difference. Even with a depleted lineup and one line scoring, they carried the play all night, and gave the Kraken almost nothing.

They don't have the mental capacity same way as they did last season because their bellies are full. It's tough to give 100% all the time. When needed this team can look very good, but it's very tough mentally, especially when you have won it all.

Add physical exhaustion to the list as well. Mental and physical exhaustion from the past two seasons and you have a tired team.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think he is what he is: a very streaky forward who can probably produce on a bad team but you want nowhere near your lineup if you are trying to win.

That said, he is only playing 5 minutes and is at least trying to engage physically with hits and board battles.
He's Andrighetto. He has a modicum of skill, but isn't really good enough to impact the game on a remotely consistent basis.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad