GDT: R1G5: SEA @ COL (Series Tied 2-2) | 9:30pm (ET)

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Yea this was a rough one for sure. I know I felt deflated so I can't imagine what the boys feel. Can they win this series? Sure, if they want to. I just think after this season of pretty much everyone playing out of position due to injuries, everyone is physically and mentally drained. I'll watch to the last second of their last game, if that's tomorrow, a few days time, or if they decide to push and make a it a few more. The team gave me hope at times, especially seeing our record after January. But there's just been too many obstacles, too many injuries, then nuke leaving the fold and Makar getting suspended, it feels like unless Makar comes back and goes berserk this one may be over. It wasn't out year. Rest and reset for next year.

I still don't blame CMac, maybe some depth could have helped, but last night's game should have been the one we stepped up and we didn't. The compete seems gone for this group for this year at least, and I don't think a 2C fixes that. Had CMac gone all in for a rental and we got bounced by Seattle that would be pretty god awful. So I'm willing to wait and see what he has up his sleeve this off-season which I know will be tough with the cap.

The 400+ man games lost just got too much for this group. Vegas had more games lost so it's impressive what they are able to accomplish, but they didn't have the shortened summer we had as they didn't even make the playoffs last year. And they used LTIR with stone who happened to be ready game 1 again, but we know sakic doesn't operate that way for better or worse.

I'll be cheering on the boys until the bitter end. But hope is fading and this season just went wrong every single opportunity and we were still able to not just make the playoffs but win the division. Go Avs.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
I'm flying from Helsinki to Orlando with a layover in Dallas right now.

I'll make sure to take a dump at Dallas airport, and my screaming at the hotel TV in Orlando will surely be more impactful on the game Friday night as I'm so much closer physically to the game there than at home.

One more win would be f***ing nice.

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
“We’ve got some guys who aren’t getting a lot done. Not enough going on for us on the offensive side of things to put them under any pressure in order to score goals to win the game. And then I feel like it kind of deteriorated after that" coach Jared Bednar said.

• Love
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Can we not call up
I'm flying from Helsinki to Orlando with a layover in Dallas right now.

I'll make sure to take a dump at Dallas airport, and my screaming at the hotel TV in Orlando will surely be more impactful on the game Friday night as I'm so much closer physically to the game there than at home.

One more win would be f***ing nice.
Seems like an odd way to get to Florida

Reactions: RECKLESS

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If anyone pays more than 3 million a year for Rodrigues then good luck to them.
I'd keep him for 2mil or something like that.

“We’ve got some guys who aren’t getting a lot done. Not enough going on for us on the offensive side of things to put them under any pressure in order to score goals to win the game. And then I feel like it kind of deteriorated after that" coach Jared Bednar said.

At least our coach knows. Changes are coming for sure.

Reactions: jabubenice

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Getting rid of Manson, who clearly shouldn’t have played, will help in game 6

Makar Toews
Byram Johnson
Girard Johnson

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I feel really bad for MacKinnon. Guy has brought it this series basically playing 1v5 each shift. And 27 minutes to boot, tonight.

If anyone deserves a long Summer it is him.
I feel bad for 29 and 96. It's literally 2 v 12. And honestly 96 hasn't really played the best overall but he is scoring so at least that's something.

I've never seen anything like this in the playoffs, where a team is so bad that only 2 players do anything of value. It's mind blowing how utterly bad this team is outside of those 2 guys. And that includes Makar he sucks right now and obviously wasn't even there last night.

I hope this is a wakeup call for Sakic, and CMac better be on an extremely short leash next year.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not sure why we can't dominate with this defense Vs Kraken. I guess it miss some physicality and muscle, but should have enough skill and speed.
It's not the defense that is the problem. It's the forwards outside of 29 and 96 are getting used and abused.

We don't win a puck battle in the offense end and puck is constantly in our end. By the mid 2nd period we are gassed.

The lack of forward depth is rearing it's ugly head. And it's putting extreme pressure on our goalie and defense.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
This interview with Giannis struck a chord with me regarding this Avs post season. I know it's not over yet, but some of what Giannis said can certainly be applied. Some years it's not your year. This year doesn't feel like our year. Way too much shit has happened. You have to be lucky to win and we have been anything but

Anyway, as he said. These are steps towards something. Just work hard so you can come back and be better next time.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yea this was a rough one for sure. I know I felt deflated so I can't imagine what the boys feel. Can they win this series? Sure, if they want to. I just think after this season of pretty much everyone playing out of position due to injuries, everyone is physically and mentally drained. I'll watch to the last second of their last game, if that's tomorrow, a few days time, or if they decide to push and make a it a few more. The team gave me hope at times, especially seeing our record after January. But there's just been too many obstacles, too many injuries, then nuke leaving the fold and Makar getting suspended, it feels like unless Makar comes back and goes berserk this one may be over. It wasn't out year. Rest and reset for next year.

I still don't blame CMac, maybe some depth could have helped, but last night's game should have been the one we stepped up and we didn't. The compete seems gone for this group for this year at least, and I don't think a 2C fixes that. Had CMac gone all in for a rental and we got bounced by Seattle that would be pretty god awful. So I'm willing to wait and see what he has up his sleeve this off-season which I know will be tough with the cap.

The 400+ man games lost just got too much for this group. Vegas had more games lost so it's impressive what they are able to accomplish, but they didn't have the shortened summer we had as they didn't even make the playoffs last year. And they used LTIR with stone who happened to be ready game 1 again, but we know sakic doesn't operate that way for better or worse.

I'll be cheering on the boys until the bitter end. But hope is fading and this season just went wrong every single opportunity and we were still able to not just make the playoffs but win the division. Go Avs.
I agree with most of everything here.

But I can't give CMac a pass. Day 1 of the offseason it was obvious we needed a legit 2C. The only time this team has seen success is when there was stability at 2C in Kadri.

He tried internal options, which is fine, but it should have been clear by December that outside help was needed. Did nothing to get that 2C.

He knew Landy wasn't coming back at the deadline, did nothing. BS he didn't know this, 29 alluded to the fact he knew months prior that 92 wasn't playing this year, so I find it hard to think CMac didn't know.

Nuke going MIA was unpredictable, but you should always plan for injuries with extra legit depth. While this wasn't an injury situation, we had no viable/serviceable replacement.

It was a poorly mismanaged year. Had 29 and 96 not both had career years, I don't think we even make the playoffs.

CMac has a lot of work to do to make this team viable again. He has done a lot of damage in just 1 year.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think he got Jost’d … brought up way too soon, should have spent more time developing in college then ahl.
That wouldn’t have made any difference with either player. The flaws that are preventing those two players from realizing expectations are not things that can be taught to them in a developmental league.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's a joke! At this point in his career though, Nieto is as worthless as Kaut is. Not sure what his contract status is, but Nieto needs to be gone along with about 7 or 8 other Avs no-counts.
I mean it’s not Nieto’s fault he’s being played in a role that he’s not capabale of. He had been fine in the bottom 6.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Not sure why we can't dominate with this defense Vs Kraken. I guess it miss some physicality and muscle, but should have enough skill and speed.
Honestly, defense is where we need to focus. It's what won us the Cup last year. The problem is we;ve trailed in every game and are forced to start playing more aggressively, so the wheels fall off. If they just stick to their defensive systems and stay patient it should pay off. But guys like Mack want to do too much and end up giving up chances. Determination and patience is the key to winning this

Missing on the Kaut and Jost picks are really showing up this year. People shit on Newhook but there's really no one picked under him that has proven much of anything. Just a poor draft year

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Last night was an extremely telling loss in a long, cursed season. This team is toast.

No effort, no battle, no heart, frustration, and injured, tired bodies.

This Seattle team was the Avs kryptonite. All effort and heart, depth in spades and a relentless cycle that has dominated posession. None of the Avs, outside of the top guys, have put in the extra effort to win those battles in the hard areas. Watching the last two games has been a test of insanity. Every depth shift is the same shit; dump it in, lose the puck battle in the corner, chase seattle into the neutral zone, and do it again and again... endlessly. So frustrating to watch.

I will watch and support this team to the end of the season, no matter when that ends up being. But the writing is on the wall, they are done.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I mean it’s not Nieto’s fault he’s being played in a role that he’s not capabale of. He had been fine in the bottom 6.
Not claiming it is his fault, coz he's nothing more than a dime-a-dozen 4th liner. The real issue is that the Nieto/Kaut deal epitomizes CMac's limp noodle approach to bolstering the lineup this season--IT WAS NONEXISTENT. So taking Nuke out of the equation; the Avs forward corps, as constructed, is now comprised of 2-superstars (Nate & Mikko) , 3-3rd liners (ERod, JTC & Lehks), and then a bunch of 4th line waiver-wire level players, including Nieto, who haven't been able to create a single goalscoring chance via dump & chase in 5 straight games. Newhook? Not even sure what to classify him as. A KHL'er possibly?

Seattle ain't shit, but their team of energized, hard-working 3rd liners is curb stomping this garbage lineup the Avs throw out there. Stanley Cup Champs to this monstrosity in less than 1 year. Nice job CMac!

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If anyone pays more than 3 million a year for Rodrigues then good luck to them.
I’ll be fine with signing both JTC and ERod at 3 mill a year but only if they’re gonna be on the 3rd line. If this team comes back next year with the same lineup where both Compher and ERod are playing top 6, I might just skip the season and don’t watch it

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I’ll be fine with signing both JTC and ERod at 3 mill a year but only if they’re gonna be on the 3rd line. If this team comes back next year with the same lineup where both Compher and ERod are playing top 6, I might just skip the season and don’t watch it
You don't give players like Rodrigues 3M per season unless you want to cripple your team's depth.

J.T. Compher also isn't going to take a discount after the regular season he just had. He's going to get paid by some dumb team - I hope that team is not us.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This interview with Giannis struck a chord with me regarding this Avs post season. I know it's not over yet, but some of what Giannis said can certainly be applied. Some years it's not your year. This year doesn't feel like our year. Way too much shit has happened. You have to be lucky to win and we have been anything but

Anyway, as he said. These are steps towards something. Just work hard so you can come back and be better next time.

Giannis saw my post earlier and copied it. Guy owes me money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad