Euro: R16: Sweden v Ukraine, 6/29/2021

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Sweden had 7 points in the group and won it despite playing Spain and Poland. Don’t take the piss.
Ukraine made it out of the group and beat Sweden head-to-head didn’t they?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
The irony is that Ukraine players were watching the last Sweden group game at hotel and rooting for Sweden since their win would give Ukraine a great chance to progress to knockout phase. Sweden's win came to bite them back.

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
I will fully admit that Sweden was a better team. But that's what happens when you are not ruthless enough. I was still sure Swedes will take it when I saw the new attacking trio subbed in but then the red card just changed the game and ultimately cost Sweden. And yeah, clear red no doubt about it. What does Lineker know about straight reds? He famously never even had a yellow card during his entire career.

A goal by Dovbyck is a feel good story. Nobody knows this guy in Ukraine, he was a total nobody and only got into the squad because of the injury of another player. He then goes to play only because another injury to our striker and ultimately scores a goal that will make him famous.

Sweden has always been my second team and I thoroughly enjoyed how they played this tournament. But we are marching through with our heads high. I wanted Ukraine to show balls and I got more than I hoped for.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
That red card for following through on a clearance of a ball is the equivalent to sending a player off in hockey for batting the puck out of the air and the follow-through injuring an opponent.

Completely unintentional, not malicious at all, results are gruesome but there's no space for grey area in the outdated rules of this sport so everyone just goes hE GoT hiS sTuDs uP hIgH

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
And everybody already putting England into the semis, as if their offense has shown any more tooth than Sweden’s did today.

Ukraine has recent wins in competitive fixtures vs Portugal and Spain, playing the exact same way.

sweden showed more offense than ukraina did, not counting overtime.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Those are not the rules though. You are "allowed" to hurt other players in football. You might even get a free kick for kicking someone in the face.

These are the kind of incidents where VAR isn't useful i nmy opinion. There will never be agreement on this. I haven't checked deeply, but I'm certain you will find high profiled refs on both sides here. One of the most well known refs in Norway said he didn't think it was red. I have no doubt many will think it was. I also think it highlights a problem with VAR. I believe the first picture the ref sees is a still picture of the impact - which is brutal - but in my opinion is also misleading as to what actually happened (when it comes to determining blame). A bit similar to showing a picture of an aerial duel where someone's elbow touches someone else's face. From the picture, you cannot tell if that is an infraction or not. I guess we need legal experts in those VAR rooms.

The kind of situation we saw yesterday isn't that uncommon. People will accidentally hit other players, but very rarely do we see the kind of impact we saw yesterday. I think it is very difficult to argue that he intentionally hits the Ukrainian. Now you don't need intent for it to be red - recklessness is enough, but if he hits him on the side of the leg and it "brushes" off - then I don't think anyone would have considered that a red card.

I get why it was given, so I don't have a problem with it - even if I don't think it should have been a red. I also think it was quite close to a 50/50 game (Sweden slightly better). "Random" events will typically decide games like that - especially in tournaments with extra time. Some other time it will benefit Sweden.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Those are not the rules though. You are "allowed" to hurt other players in football. You might even get a free kick for kicking someone in the face.

These are the kind of incidents where VAR isn't useful i nmy opinion. There will never be agreement on this. I haven't checked deeply, but I'm certain you will find high profiled refs on both sides here. One of the most well known refs in Norway said he didn't think it was red. I have no doubt many will think it was. I also think it highlights a problem with VAR. I believe the first picture the ref sees is a still picture of the impact - which is brutal - but in my opinion is also misleading as to what actually happened (when it comes to determining blame). A bit similar to showing a picture of an aerial duel where someone's elbow touches someone else's face. From the picture, you cannot tell if that is an infraction or not. I guess we need legal experts in those VAR rooms.

The kind of situation we saw yesterday isn't that uncommon. People will accidentally hit other players, but very rarely do we see the kind of impact we saw yesterday. I think it is very difficult to argue that he intentionally hits the Ukrainian. Now you don't need intent for it to be red - recklessness is enough, but if he hits him on the side of the leg and it "brushes" off - then I don't think anyone would have considered that a red card.

I get why it was given, so I don't have a problem with it - even if I don't think it should have been a red. I also think it was quite close to a 50/50 game (Sweden slightly better). "Random" events will typically decide games like that - especially in tournaments with extra time. Some other time it will benefit Sweden.

I don't think it's a red card either. In fact in the cold day of light, it's somewhat amazing that it was given. I don't see how the 'excessive force' standard is possibly met here given that Danielson stretches his leg just to play the ball (and it's not a situation where he knows he needs to go through the opponent to play the ball, it's a situation where the question is of who gets to the ball first.) I think you can say it's possibly reckless..but that only calls for a yellow card.

But you're right that this kind of thing has always been very reactionary. You see the foot hitting the leg, the leg giving way, it looks brutal so people get influenced by those optics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad