- Lost
wat.gif
Austria 0-1
- Top goalscorers: Andriy Yarmolenko, Roman Yaremchuk - 2

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Ukraine is much better than Sweden. But Sweden have lots of fighting spirit which u can come far with.

Too bad this game is not in Parken (copenhagen).

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Ukraine is much better than Sweden. But Sweden have lots of fighting spirit which u can come far with.

Too bad this game is not in Parken (copenhagen).

Sweden's a good team. They're defensively responsible (some may say to a fault at times) and they're likely not going to win the tournament but they do a pretty good job with the talent they have. I don't see how Ukraine is "much better than Sweden" but I'm no football expert. Seems pretty even to me.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Saw this game is in Glasgow which has the strictest COVID rules so I’m sure we will see a sparse crowd like Croatia-Czech as this matchup isn’t attractive for neutrals. I think the Cro-Cze match almost broke the record for lowest attendance at a Euro

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Sweden's a good team. They're defensively responsible (some may say to a fault at times) and they're likely not going to win the tournament but they do a pretty good job with the talent they have. I don't see how Ukraine is "much better than Sweden" but I'm no football expert. Seems pretty even to me.

This is the same guy that said Poland beats Sweden 99 times out of 100. He think's we're San Marino or something.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Saw this game is in Glasgow which has the strictest COVID rules so I’m sure we will see a sparse crowd like Croatia-Czech as this matchup isn’t attractive for neutrals. I think the Cro-Cze match almost broke the record for lowest attendance at a Euro

thats why i want it in parken, copenhagen. lots of swedes will go there and danes will cheer on us.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Sweden have better players than Ukraine, but it will be a close game. Two quite good, well coached teams.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
This is the same guy that said Poland beats Sweden 99 times out of 100. He think's we're San Marino or something.

Poland may have more talent than the Swedes (maybe) but they sure as hell don't play together as a team as well as the Swedes.

I'm of part Polish descent and have a Polish last name; I want to get emotionally involved with their program but I refuse to let myself. You cannot be disappointed if you have no expectations.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Dont start a fight with me man, im allowed to have my opinion.

No, we are not San Marino. I would say we are around 30-40 in the world if looking at player quality, Ukraina is somewhere 20-25 place. As i said, Sweden is gritty u can come far with that.

Sweden have better players than Ukraine, but it will be a close game. Two quite good, well coached teams.

Who in Swedens team would take a place in Ukraina? Robin Olsen is the only one i can see.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021

No, we are not San Marino. I would say we are around 30-40 in the world if looking at player quality, Ukraina is somewhere 20-25 place. As i said, Sweden is gritty u can come far with that.

Who in Swedens team would take a place in Ukraina? Robin Olsen is the only one i can see.

But player quality alone doesn't guarantee you anything. A well-coached, disciplined team can very often make a superior team on paper look awful on the pitch. It's one game and almost anything can happen in one game.

I think whoever gets the first goal here takes it. I wouldn't bet on either team.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Olsen

Lustig/Krafth - Lindelöf - Matvienko - Zinchenko

Ekdal - Svanberg

Kulusevski - Malinovskyi - Forsberg

Isak

Is my combined 11. Not that I know much about the Ukranians so I am basing this on their games this tournament. They don’t look super impressive on paper. The teams are quite even looking at player quality and recent results, but Sweden have looked much better so far this tournament.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Olsen

Lustig/Krafth - Lindelöf - Matvienko - Zinchenko

Ekdal - Svanberg

Kulusevski - Malinovskyi - Forsberg

Isak

Is my combined 11. Not that I know much about the Ukranians so I am basing this on their games this tournament. They don’t look super impressive on paper. The teams are quite even looking at player quality and recent results, but Sweden have looked much better so far this tournament.

Olsen
Karaveav - Zabarnyi - Matvienko - Mykolenko
Sharpaenko - Stepenko - Zinchenko
Jarmolenko - Yaremchuck - Malinovskyi

This would be mine combined 11.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Olsen
Karaveav - Zabarnyi - Matvienko - Mykolenko
Sharpaenko - Stepenko - Zinchenko
Jarmolenko - Yaremchuck - Malinovskyi

This would be mine combined 11.
Absolutely ridiculous. You are basing this on watching how much Ukrainan football? They were battered by Austria who I would expect Sweden to beat. There is no point in entertaining such trolling really.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Absolutely ridiculous. You are basing this on watching how much Ukrainan football? They were battered by Austria who I would expect Sweden to beat. There is no point in entertaining such trolling really.

i saw all their games in nations leauge, euro + wc qualifing and all their games this euros too. you are seriously underating their players.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
i saw all their games in nations leauge, euro + wc qualifing and all their games this euros too. you are seriously underating their players.
They were battred by Austria and barely beat North Macedonia. They are a solid side, but come on.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is the matchup that I have the toughest time picking.

Both teams have more talent than they often display and some would expect from them, but both tend to play overly pragmatic...which raises your floor, but lowers your ceiling. I can see arguments for Forsberg/Isak being the best players/talents in this match up, but the same is true of Zinchenko/Malinovsky. Just like Sweden hasn't been able to make the most of Kulusevski, Ukraine hasn't gotten Tsygankov to shine. Both teams are big and both teams are pretty disciplined when deep in their block.

I'm hoping for Sweden to win for selfish reasons...if Germany beats England, then I think we'd be more likely to look past Ukraine to a potential SF against the Netherlands, while I hope that wanting revenge against Sweden would keep the group focused...but I think Ukraine has a bit more talent throughout their roster and they do a little bit better at making use of that talent when they have to create with the ball.

Although Sweden did look better in that last match with Berg getting replaced and Forsberg being given more license to drift into central areas...so I really can see this match going any which way.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They were battred by Austria and barely beat North Macedonia. They are a solid side, but come on.

When on form, like they were in that final group stage game, Austria could batter either of these teams. They often underachieve, but Austria has a lot of talent. Alaba, Sabitzer & Laimer could play for just about any team and Baumgartner looks to be on his way to joining them. Guys like Lazaro, Lainer, Grillitsch, Schlager, Kaladzjic, Hinteregger & Lienhart are a step (or two) down from that but have the quality to be regulars on clubs that consistently qualify for european competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad