Switzerland 3-0
- Beat
wwa.gif
Wales 1-0
- Top goalscorer(s): Ciro Immobile, Manuel Locatelli - 2
- Comes into this game on a 30-game unbeaten streak
- Also have an 11-game win streak going
- Oh and haven't conceded in 11 straight games either
- ..and they're the first team ever to start a EURO with three straight clean sheets, sheesh we get it, you're good

wat.gif
Austria

- Group C runners-up (2-0-1)
- Beat
wmk.gif
North Macedonia 3-1
- Lost
wnl.gif
Netherlands 0-2
- Beat
wua.gif
Ukraine 1-0
- Top goalscorer(s): 4 players have scored 1 goal

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Venue: Wembley, London
Kickoff: 15:00 EST, 21:00 CET

wit.gif
Italy
- Group A winners (3-0-0)
- Beat
wtr.gif
Turkey 3-0
- Beat
wch.gif
Switzerland 3-0
- Beat
wwa.gif
Wales 1-0
- Top goalscorer(s): Ciro Immobile, Manuel Locatelli - 2
- Comes into this game on a 30-game unbeaten streak
- Also have an 11-game win streak going
- Oh and haven't conceded in 11 straight games either
- ..and they're the first team ever to start a EURO with three straight clean sheets, sheesh we get it, you're good

wat.gif
Austria

- Group C runners-up (2-0-1)
- Beat
wmk.gif
North Macedonia 3-1
- Lost
wnl.gif
Netherlands 0-2
- Beat
wua.gif
Ukraine 1-0
- Top goalscorer(s): 4 players have scored 1 goal
Really the first team to not get scored on in the first three? That surprises me.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Italy has been super impressive. The one doubt, if someone wants to find one, is that it has been quite some time since they’ve faced an elite team.

I’d say they’re clearly ready for that challenge, but it won’t be coming in this match.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Locatelli likely to be left out of the starting XI, through no fault of his own. You can't leave Verratti out, especially after his performance against Wales. Will be interesting to see if Chiesa starts over Berardi.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Austria get it just right, they could pose Italy some real problems...but that's not exactly likely to happen.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Locatelli likely to be left out of the starting XI, through no fault of his own. You can't leave Verratti out, especially after his performance against Wales. Will be interesting to see if Chiesa starts over Berardi.
I’d keep Locatelli and drop Barella but maybe that’s just me

Reactions: luiginb

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Really the first team to not get scored on in the first three? That surprises me.
I think it's "not to get scored on in the first 3 and win all 3 games" because a quick look at wikipedia shows both Germany and Poland did it in Euro 2016, but tied each other 0-0.

Germany actually made it 4 straight in the round of 16 before conceding to Italy in the quarters in a 1-1 PK win.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think it's "not to get scored on in the first 3 and win all 3 games" because a quick look at wikipedia shows both Germany and Poland did it in Euro 2016, but tied each other 0-0.

Germany actually made it 4 straight in the round of 16 before conceding to Italy in the quarters in a 1-1 PK win.

That was the last time we still had a prime Hummels & Boateng + Neuer *sigh*

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I’d keep Locatelli and drop Barella but maybe that’s just me

Let them duke it out with 19 century dueling pistols. Who ever wins gets to start.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Locatelli should be the one starting, but seems like Verratti will start and btw this is a nice problem. I think Berardi plays over Chiesa.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Berardi should definetely play over Chiesa, he adds that hustle that Chiesa's game misses, while being just as dangerous going forward. I have no idea who I'd drop from that midfield though, wouldn't want to be in Mancini's shoes there.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
It's a hard choice to make, but a good problem to have. They are all fantastic midfielders. The crazy part is I don't remember the last time any Italian or Italian fan had this kind of debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I would go Barella as a two way creative b2b workhorse, Locatelli as the regista and Veratti as a ball progressor. Jorginho on the bench. Could drop Veratti for Jorginho though. Barella and Locatelli need to start on current form.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Barella is arguably their strongest player. Locatelli has played well but he doesn't have that game breaking ability that Barella has.
That’s fair too but that’s also kind of why I would want him off the bench. Inter played him off the bench a decent amount too. Don’t know if Italy can really “go wrong” necessarily though

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I would go Barella as a two way creative b2b workhorse, Locatelli as the regista and Veratti as a ball progressor. Jorginho on the bench. Could drop Veratti for Jorginho though. Barella and Locatelli need to start on current form.
Yeah but I also don’t think that Mancini is trying to drop Jorginho

Reactions: Incubajerks

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Italy should win, but I can't help feeling like Austria has it in them to cause the Italians problems. Especially since they finally got their balance right in that last match with Grillitsch in those deeper areas freeing Alaba to join Sabitzer, Liamer, Baumgartner & Lainer in supporting the striker...though I would go with unKoller over Arnautodouche at the 9, and they still need to play Lienhart over Dragovic's corpse next to Hinteregger.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Verratti was MOTM in the only match he played.
Anyway, it seems Locatelli is the benched one.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Verratti was MOTM in the only match he played.
Anyway, it seems Locatelli is the benched one.
Yeah Veratti should play but he was motm in his first game in a long time. There are still concerns over match fitness. I think Locatelli needs to play though, he offers more muscle than the others, especially Jorginho. Veratti - Locatelli - Barella is the best option quality wise while Jorginho, Locatelli and one of Barella and Veratti makes sense if you want two pass first controllers. Italy are blessed in midfield.

member 305909

Austrian football seems to have come back from some low point as I recall that at the time when Austria cohosted the 2008 euros and were therefore exempt from qualifications there were some complaints that it was unfair that such a dire team was in the tournament.

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
Let them duke it out with 19 century dueling pistols. Who ever wins gets to start.

Why not swords?

"Signore, you are in the hands of death."

When your goalie is Don A. Rumma, you know you are in a good place.

"Trying to score on me? You'd better rethink those plans."

Reactions: Juve

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad