R.J. Umberger

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Any reasons other than a few hundred thousand dollars that neither the Rangers nor Canucks signed him ???

After a slow start, this season he's certainly shown why he was a first round pick.

15 points for the season and 11 in his last nine games. Currentlt the Phantoms second line center, and playing on the PP.

Looks like he could use another 10 lbs. of muscle, but you could say that about just about every yound kid.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
John Flyers Fan said:
Any reasons other than a few hundred thousand dollars that neither the Rangers nor Canucks signed him ???

After a slow start, this season he's certainly shown why he was a first round pick.

15 points for the season and 11 in his last nine games. Currentlt the Phantoms second line center, and playing on the PP.

Looks like he could use another 10 lbs. of muscle, but you could say that about just about every yound kid.

I don't know but as a Leaf fan I was hoping he would sign with the Leafs!! :D

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I said it back when the trade happened and I'll say it again, the Rangers were more interested in getting the draft pick that came with not signing Umberger than Umberger himself.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
I said it back when the trade happened and I'll say it again, the Rangers were more interested in getting the draft pick that came with not signing Umberger than Umberger himself.

To this point he certainly looks like he has more value than a 2nd round pick.

Prucha73

John Flyers Fan said:

I think he had bad attitude, lazy, kept talking about his hometown discount, Wolfpack players didn't like him, etc. Plus he was too arogant and demanded too much--rookie max, 2 year deal instead of 3, etc. But in any case Flyers are lucky to get a talented guy like that for nothing.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the knock on umberger is his attitude/character and work ethic...he's got a ton of skill and ton of potential, but you gotta be willing to work too. rumor is that he was disliked by players in hartford when he was there because they didn't think he was giving it 100% during his tryout (and if he wasn't giving 100% trying to earn a contract that says alot)...

of course its also possible that he just didn't want to sign with the rangers...

he's done well in the ahl so far, showing his obvious skill...the question he'll have to answer is if he can elevate his game to the nhl level when the time comes...if he wants it then he will...

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't know what his attitude is like but I've never been very fond of money grubbin guys like him.

At one point I hoped he'd go to the Pens... but they might be better off.

On the other hand the kid has talent. He's also about 215lbs so he should make the NHL pretty soon.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
John Flyers Fan said:
To this point he certainly looks like he has more value than a 2nd round pick.

Possibly, but in his brief stint with Hartford it seemed like he didn't make very many friends. (Might have been why Giroux pounded his face in earlier this year for no apparent reason).

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
sjb3599 said:
Possibly, but in his brief stint with Hartford it seemed like he didn't make very many friends. (Might have been why Giroux pounded his face in earlier this year for no apparent reason).

Well, the Phantoms seem to like him, so whatever.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
yup, the Rangers hated his attitude and work ethic. But most of all, his teamattes hated him. And he was only practicing with them.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mazmin said:
He's also about 215lbs so he should make the NHL pretty soon.

I would doubt that he's 215 lbs. unless he has incredibly large legs. His upper boody could certainly use another 10/15 lbs of muscle, which he'll gain as he matures.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
NYRangers said:
yup, the Rangers hated his attitude and work ethic. But most of all, his teamattes hated him. And he was only practicing with them.

According to Ron Delorme of the Canucks he was on his way to being fast-tracked as an Alexandre Daigle: lots of skills but no heart and a flaky attitude.

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:

As most have said, personality and work ethic were being called into question.

Hopefully Umberger's year off scared some sense into him, and he'll be a more focused player.

Wait, you are a Flyers fan.

Hopefully his kneecaps fall off during practice . . . :joker:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Handsome B. Wonderful said:

How?

When he came to work out with the team he was A LAZY AS HELL SOB. He was even criticized by Renney who said he had to work a lot harder if he wanted to get signed -- which obviously he did not.

I'm glad we didn't sign the punk.

Plus, it was nice seeing him get his face punched in by Giroux a few games ago. Bloody and everything.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
as far as his time as a Canuck prospect, the only real knock i heard on him was that he was very inconsistant. that doens't take away from the fact that he was a Hobey Baker finalist and a solid prospect.

in the Canucks' situation, i think it was a little more complicated. Kesler had just signed for well under the rookie max. Burke had then begun offering Umberger less than he signed Kesler for (because Burke felt that Kesler was a better prospect, and was closer to NHL-ready). Umberger felt that he should be paid close to what the players around his draft position in his draft year were (e.g. Ales Hemsky). both of them had a point and refused to budge on it. i don't think this mysterious bad attitude had anything to do with it, and if Kesler had decided to stay in college that Umberger would be playing for Manitoba right now.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
The "attitude problem" that he has been labelled with is BS. I have heard that 1. The Rangers didn't like him because he wouldn't report to the Wolfpack (Duh, he had no contract) and 2. That the players didn't like him. Which is it?

His agent is Brian Lawton which is disturbing and probably key to this label he has gotten.

The Canucks tried to low-ball him, he and his agent beleived he was worth the money consistent with where he was picked. Several teams agreed and the Flyers got a steal.

The attitude problem is IMO a fabrication of the two teams that couldn't sign him. There is a plethora of reasons that the Rangers may not have signed him and we'll never know. But the point is that he is a hell of a hockey player that both the Canucks and Rangers could use.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
can any flyers fans tell me who has a brighter offensive future with the flyers? Umberger or Sharp? both are around the same age and are both pretty much destined for the wing position with the big club atleast until some of the vets move on.... thoughts? feelings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad