R.I.P. Todd Ewen

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
RIP Todd - you and Mario were always the toughest in the early 90s. We'll miss you

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I don't like politicizing deaths... even though I agree with the point. It sort of makes me feel like I'm disrespecting a tragedy... anyway maybe it's just me. Bob Probert as far as I can remember died because of a heart problem.

Anyway I remember Todd Ewen very well, he was one of my favorite players... I loved the mid 90s tough guys, him, and Ed Ronan (I know, Ed Ronan wasn't something special but I like him) and Lyle Odelein. Always sad to hear when someone you cheered for die... I was particularly distressed when Bryan Fogarty died a few years ago.

RIP Todd

Alex514

May 10, 2015
RIP :(

I hope the NHLPA steps up their efforts in protecting these players well after they retire.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I remember Todd very well. One hell of a fighter. If memory serves me right, I believe he was going to write childrens books with his wife when he finished hockey. RIP big guy.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Very sad...

This has to stop. Someone has to wake up or kids will stop playing hockey.
Have kids stopped becoming soldiers? What about fisherman or fireman, there are jobs more dangerous for less pay than hockey players. I am not even sure we can blame hockey or society overall for players who suddenly have been committing suicide. We had nasty enforcers in the 70s that did not take their lives like we've had lately. It's more than just fighting in the NHL that suddenly is causing this tragedy, the overall suicide rate seems to be getting worse no matter what you did in the past.

I bet Ewen never regretted being a hockey enforcer, it was his only chance at being a player and enjoy the limelight, otherwise without fighting he would not of had enough skill to make the NHL.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Too many enforcers seeing their post-playing days end in tragedy. I hope Ewen's death will not have been in vain. RIP.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just wanted to add what Mike Farber offered today on Melnick's show -- says the matter needs to be further scrutinized as it isn't known whether Ewen's tragic death is related to his fighting days. Says he's perfectly content with just allowing the family to grieve, although he did add that the family has consented to a medical investigation to see if a correlation with CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) exists.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
Have kids stopped becoming soldiers? What about fisherman or fireman, there are jobs more dangerous for less pay than hockey players. I am not even sure we can blame hockey or society overall for players who suddenly have been committing suicide. We had nasty enforcers in the 70s that did not take their lives like we've had lately. It's more than just fighting in the NHL that suddenly is causing this tragedy, the overall suicide rate seems to be getting worse no matter what you did in the past.

I bet Ewen never regretted being a hockey enforcer, it was his only chance at being a player and enjoy the limelight, otherwise without fighting he would not of had enough skill to make the NHL.

The number of games increased a lot during this time....number of games goes up....number of fights goes up. There is a relationship between the recurrent head injuries and cte and increased depression. We don't have all the data....but my gut tells me the connection exists

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The number of games increased a lot during this time....number of games goes up....number of fights goes up. There is a relationship between the recurrent head injuries
and cte and increased depression. We don't have all the data....but my gut tells me the connection exists

Sad thread. Sad that Todd Ewen took his own life. Sad that people try to spew their agendas on a thread about Todd Ewen.

See if you can use your data to find this connection....

Drew Barrymore attempted suicide by cutting her wrists with a kitchen knife when she was just 14 years old.

Elton John tried to kill himself by sticking his head in a glass stove and breathing in the deadly gases. He wrote the song "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" about the event.

Owen Wilson reportedly attempted to commit suicide by slitting his wrists in 2007.

In 1996, Eminem attempted to end his life by overdosing on Tylenol after his then-girlfriend, Kim Scott, tried to end their relationship.

Ozzy Osbourne attempted to commit suicide several times, the earliest when he was just 14 years old.

Drew Carey tried to end his life by overdosing on pills when he was 18 and again when he was 20.

Vanilla Ice (Robert Van Winkle) intentionally tried to overdose on heroin in 1994.

Sinead O'Connor attempted to commit suicide in 2012 by overdosing on pills. The singer later called the incident "a cry for help."

Educate yourself. Not one of the above "celebrities" ever played hockey. Depression is a disease, regardless of what you do or do not do in life.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I'm uncomfortable about turning this thread into a debate about CTE effects on NHL enforcers.

So I'll simply say that it feels like a punch in the gut every time we hear about a guy that left us at an early age. Whether it's a heart attack, mental sickness, or a plane crash, it just seems like we hear about this all too often in the hockey world these days

I feel badly for his loved ones. Hopefully, they find peace eventually. RIP

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Sad thread. Sad that Todd Ewen took his own life. Sad that people try to spew their agendas on a thread about Todd Ewen.

See if you can use your data to find this connection....

Drew Barrymore attempted suicide by cutting her wrists with a kitchen knife when she was just 14 years old.

Elton John tried to kill himself by sticking his head in a glass stove and breathing in the deadly gases. He wrote the song "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" about the event.

Owen Wilson reportedly attempted to commit suicide by slitting his wrists in 2007.

In 1996, Eminem attempted to end his life by overdosing on Tylenol after his then-girlfriend, Kim Scott, tried to end their relationship.

Ozzy Osbourne attempted to commit suicide several times, the earliest when he was just 14 years old.

Drew Carey tried to end his life by overdosing on pills when he was 18 and again when he was 20.

Vanilla Ice (Robert Van Winkle) intentionally tried to overdose on heroin in 1994.

Sinead O'Connor attempted to commit suicide in 2012 by overdosing on pills. The singer later called the incident "a cry for help."

Educate yourself. Not one of the above "celebrities" ever played hockey. Depression is a disease, regardless of what you do or do not do in life.

Part of educating oneself would include learning whether the incidence of severe depression is higher for one-time NHL enforcers, then trying to see if correlation equals causation - meaning were these enforcers, people willing to fight all the time, already pre-disposed to depression regardless of whether they got hit in the head.

There is a lot of science to do.

Meanwhile, RIP Todd Ewen.

Carey The Habs

Sep 18, 2015
RIP. Sad story. Time to end fighting in the NHL

Or time for the NHL and PA to come together and actually give players more stability after they retire. Seems like the NHL is way behind compared to other leagues when it comes to any type of support after retirement.

RIP Todd

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
RIP. Sad story. Time to end fighting in the NHL

Agree 100%. Are we that bloodthirsty that we can't take a great sport without the fighting and unnecessary head damage that cripples people.

What other major sports still allow fighting ... none. Hockey is living in the past with this and fighting should be disallowed and taken from the game entirely.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Agree 100%. Are we that bloodthirsty that we can't take a great sport without the fighting and unnecessary head damage that cripples people.

What other major sports still allow fighting ... none. Hockey is living in the past with this and fighting should be disallowed and taken from the game entirely.

Boxing... UFC... Hurley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad