Quinton Hughes vs. Adam Boqvist vs. Evan Bouchard vs. Noah Dobson vs. Ty Smith

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
There are a lot of next level skaters at the pro level, if you can't defend in your own end and find a way to retrieve pucks, you will be bottom 6 defensmen. Ryan Murphy is a prime example of this and would be the closest previous comparison to Hughes.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Even if one argues Hughes is a better skater than Boqvist it doesn’t make (or in this case shouldn’t make) Boqvist an average skater.

What I personally don’t get is why people are so focus on skating when it comes to Ds. I can’t help feeling people are overrating Hughes due to his ridiculously good skating. Not saying he is bad at other stuff, but is he really that good? He won’t survive in the big league purely based on skating.

To me there is more uncertainty around Hughes than Boqvist. I can see why some/many feel Hughes has a higher ceiling though. If he can use his skating in the same way in the NHL he will be quite unique. I don’t think he can, but I’m far from certain he won’t.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There are a lot of next level skaters at the pro level, if you can't defend in your own end and find a way to retrieve pucks, you will be bottom 6 defensmen. Ryan Murphy is a prime example of this and would be the closest previous comparison to Hughes.
I may be confused but I think Murphy had a heck of a shot, something Hughes does not have.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Even if one argues Hughes is a better skater than Boqvist it doesn’t make (or in this case shouldn’t make) Boqvist an average skater.

What I personally don’t get is why people are so focus on skating when it comes to Ds. I can’t help feeling people are overrating Hughes due to his ridiculously good skating. Not saying he is bad at other stuff, but is he really that good? He won’t survive in the big league purely based on skating.

To me there is more uncertainty around Hughes than Boqvist. I can see why some/many feel Hughes has a higher ceiling though. If he can use his skating in the same way in the NHL he will be quite unique. I don’t think he can, but I’m far from certain he won’t.
I love an elite skating D, but when you're saying that Hughes is so much better than Boqvist at skating... It's 1- Wrong, 2- Ridiculous.

It's like saying Brady Tkachuk is stronger than Matthew Tkachuk, or like saying McDavid skates faster than Barzal... At some point, it doesn't really matter, you're elite at one skill and thats it. Hughes is elite at one thing, skating, Boqvist is elite at shooting and skating, the choice is easy for me.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
TBH, I don't think Hughes is that bad in the Dzone, but I think he's really risky.
I don't believe he is good at retrieving the puck when he doesn't have it. It is something he will likely need to learn to hit his top end potential (Karlsson)

Last edited:

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Hughes is out producing boqvist in a tougher league, also leads his team in points where as boqvist ranks 5th in his. Just saying.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Murphy couldn't defend, think or skate quite like Hughes. Had a better shot but that was about it.

The game is all about speed & getting the puck out of your zone - up the ice quickly. Its getting harder & harder to create time + space with your feet. Is it really hard to understand why skating is such a focus for D's? Being a 'good' skater is becoming the minimum requirement.

The young guys coming into the league are only getting faster not slower, all you need to do is watch a defenseman who can't move aswell get walked routinely or struggle to move it under pressure. Whether you think Boqvist is better or not (and he's certainly a very good skater) I'm just surprised that's being questioned.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
He was also as dynamic a skater that you would see at the Junior level. You need to find a way to defend or you will not play.

Ryan Murphy is a good example of a d-man that had all of the tools to succeed at the NHL level but didn't. we might want to temper our expectations a little before declaring that any of our teams have the next Miro Heiskanen.

Reactions: The Colonel

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
I honestly don’t think Hughes is that bad in his own end. His positioning is pretty good and he has a good stick. His size limitations are what they are. He’s not going to win body battles along the boards, and once he’s in his zone and the other teams set up he’s not going to likely be as effective as other d men. He will fight lots of his battles not giving up the blue line, and getting the puck out under control at a very efficient clip — that’s how he’s going to have to defend.

My issue with Hughes is the un needed risky plays in areas of the ice that aren’t going to lead to scoring chances. His decision making I find poor at times and he needs to start making the simple play when it’s there more often then letting those moments come to him organically. Might be too used to being the best player on his team, he will improve as he learns to use his team mates better.

I know his controlled zone exit rates are off the charts, but he almost always skates it out then makes the pass in the neutral zone where the higher risk event happens. Does anyone have a stat on how many of his controlled exits lead to controlled entries? I have no idea what it is, but I would find it an interesting statistic based on his game.

Admittedly, I think he should appreciate that the fastest way to move the puck up the ice is by passing it no matter how good of skater you are.

Haven’t seen much of boqvist, especially not enough to make an educated comparison of thier games. Having said that I have Hughes above the rest of them on my list even though they play much different games.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Hughes is out producing boqvist in a tougher league, also leads his team in points where as boqvist ranks 5th in his. Just saying.

Boqvist is almost one year younger. Has zero experience on NA ice. Not to mention having moved to a new place.

I guess we won’t see Hughes in Sweden, but I’m not exactly worried that Boqvist had a slow start and is now scoring at a very solid rate. Just saying.

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Boqvist is almost one year younger. Has zero experience on NA ice. Not to mention having moved to a new place.

I guess we won’t see Hughes in Sweden, but I’m not exactly worried that Boqvist had a slow start and is now scoring at a very solid rate. Just saying.
That’s nice, boqvist is a good player but he’s no Hughes(so far)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad