Quinton Hughes vs. Adam Boqvist vs. Evan Bouchard vs. Noah Dobson vs. Ty Smith

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You've had almost two years to re-read this thread and you still can't read that I called Hughes the better skater, lmao.

Also, Hughes was always closer to the NHL, Boqvist is a project, both still look to be potential 1D one day.
Its been two years of you being wrong and you still cant admit it. Terrific stuff.

Thats why the bookmark tool is so terrific.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its been two years of you being wrong and you still cant admit it. Terrific stuff.

Wrong because Hughes hit his ceiling faster? What happens if Boqvist catches up? And why does it matter so much that you bookmarked it lmao

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I think I had them as

Dobson
Quinn
Boqvist
Bouchard
(Sandin)
(KA Miller)
Smith

I recall Smith being such a mouse of a defenseman in my eyes.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007

It speaks more about the person, kind of person that is severely lacking in humility to be wrong. That's the kind of person that has to be right about everything irl, gets on everyone's bad side. Same with Pavel Buch who I've seen...basically everywhere arguing with people.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What do people think the order should be now ?
I am a huge Devils fan and hope Smith continues to improve .I love his game so far but I still think he might be the least talented of the bunch except for Miller.
That’s nothing to be ashamed of , all these kids are all going to be elite IMO

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It speaks more about the person, kind of person that is severely lacking in humility to be wrong. That's the kind of person that has to be right about everything irl, gets on everyone's bad side. Same with Pavel Buch who I've seen...basically everywhere arguing with people.

@Pavel Buchnevich is one of the best prospect source on this board, we don't always agree on everything but at least he can defend a position and is knowledeable, what do you bring aside from out of context opinions about HF posters ? Thanks, the hike is this way.

Hughes hit his ceiling at 20? :laugh:

Just take the L and put this behind you.

You think he's going to be a 1.20 ppg player ? There is no L to take, I won't take it until Boqvist and Smith have both busted and shown they don't belong in the conversation. Both are tracking very well too, and Hughes ain't having the hot start even if he has the stats.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Pavel Buchnevich is one of the best prospect source on this board, we don't always agree on everything but at least he can defend a position and is knowledeable, what do you bring aside from out of context opinions about HF posters ? Thanks, the hike is this way.

You think he's going to be a 1.20 ppg player ? There is no L to take, I won't take it until Boqvist and Smith have both busted and shown they don't belong in the conversation. Both are tracking very well too, and Hughes ain't having the hot start even if he has the stats.

Doesn't Hughes also have the worst GF% in the league at 5 on 5 this season by a substantial margin or is he now no longer in last place?

It surprised me how productive Hughes was offensively. He has elite offensive skills, but I didn't expect he'd be an elite point producer right away. Playing on a great PP and playing for a team that over-achieved played a part in that. However, I've still yet to see Hughes learn to play defense. Vancouver fans don't like when it's said but how good can Hughes be if he gives back defensively what he scores offensively.

These other players may not be as far along as Hughes in terms of being proven NHL'ers, at least to the same level he is where he plays big minutes and is counted on to be one of the best players for his team, but that doesn't mean they have lower ceilings or won't be better players. It's important to keep i mind that these players were drafted two and a half years ago, and Hughes being 10 months older than Boqvist still makes some type of difference in how quickly after being drafted they are thrust into big roles.

Vancouver fans are really aggressive when it comes to Hughes. They attack incessantly. You'd think right now they might keep their mouths shut, and be open to the idea that he may not be an elite 1D and he may need to improve on some parts of his game to become an elite 1D, but I guess on a website like this you are never accountable, so some will continue at all times.

Reactions: Mrb1p

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
That 1st round contain some amazing D prospects in Hughes, Miller, Smith, Bouchard, Boqvist, Dobson.

Miller and Smith have made arguments to move up the list. Hughes is just elite offensively. Miller could be an elite two way D. I have never been a fan of Dobson (I wanted the Oilers to draft Boqvist but the Hawks picked him) because I don't see how he can put up points in the NHL - he's just so vanilla. His idea of a breakout pass is bounce it off the glass.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Hughes is better right now, but Boqvist has a higher ceiling IMO because he has traits that can lead to being an all around D whereas Hughes will always be a liability at D. Hughes is a guaranteed stud though and we are projecting Boqvist can get there.. I take Hughes easily as of now with a caveat that Boqvist has higher potential.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

That's hilarious that people have such a high opinion of Pavel Buchnevich on this board whereas he stopped posting on the Rangers board because people on the Rangers board know he's a fraud. Dude compared K'Andre Miller to Sean Day over and over.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's hilarious that people have such a high opinion of Pavel Buchnevich on this board whereas he stopped posting on the Rangers board because people on the Rangers board know he's a fraud. Dude compared K'Andre Miller to Sean Day over and over.
I didn't like Miller either in hsi draft year, he had some very real flaws, partly because he had just transitioned to defense, maybe. I have been wrong plenty of times too, just like anyone that dares having an opinion.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Hughes is better right now, but Boqvist has a higher ceiling IMO because he has traits that can lead to being an all around D whereas Hughes will always be a liability at D. Hughes is a guaranteed stud though and we are projecting Boqvist can get there.. I take Hughes easily as of now with a caveat that Boqvist has higher potential.
Hughes' defensive shortcomings are being exaggerated after a poor start. He's got his defensive game back to a respectable level, which is all anyone can really ask for from a guy who dominates the flow of a game like he does. Considering that Hughes has some of the most impressive stats for a young defender in the history of the game, Boqvist would have to end up pretty amazing to match up. And I'm not saying he won't be great defender but I haven't seen anything from him that indicates he'll be a superstar like Hughes.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Vancouver fans are really aggressive when it comes to Hughes. They attack incessantly. You'd think right now they might keep their mouths shut, and be open to the idea that he may not be an elite 1D and he may need to improve on some parts of his game to become an elite 1D, but I guess on a website like this you are never accountable, so some will continue at all times.

Its because you came on all last year claiming again and again that Hughes wasn't good, (based on your viewing of him in College), to the point where Shesterkin was a better Calder candidate in 12 GP (than Makar aswell).

Barely watched Hughes play yet had no problems making the judgements, and everytime people pushed back you just ignored the fact that you had barely watched & pushed on w/ no sufficient response.

I don't think your the one to be criticizing others for accountability in judgements.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its because you came on all last year claiming again and again that Hughes wasn't good, (based on your viewing of him in College), to the point where Shesterkin was a better Calder candidate in 12 GP (than Makar aswell).

Barely watched Hughes play yet had no problems making the judgements, and everytime people pushed back you just ignored the fact that you had barely watched & pushed on w/ no sufficient response.

I don't think your the one to be criticizing others for accountability in judgements.

Impressive job compiling so many incorrect statements into three paragraphs.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

I didn’t really check out any of last seasons Calder threads, that many posters I try to engage in this debate with claim is the reason they put down Hughes (in retaliation, I guess?), but from my observations, it is largely the opposite.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
You guys see Boqvists goal last night? That absolutely lethal shot is why I think he could end up being a 25 goal D at some point. His wrister is even better.

He’s slowly starting to put things together. That Vegas playoff series was likely a big learning moment for him.

Most hawks fans will tell you he’ll never be a great defensive player, but if he can just be average (which he has been lately) his potential is enormous due to what he can provide on offense.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Fact is that it's still too early to tell. I think everyone knows this deep down. Hughes has made the biggest impact offensively, but at the same time he also deeply struggles with play in his own end. Smith and Boqvist are both coming into their own and Bouchard has barely made the league yet. Dobson is having a great year too. We can be patient before making proclamations about who is best, because to me it is clear that every defenseman listed has fundamental things to work on (which is completely fair at this stage of their careers).

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It's hard to say what Bouchard will be, but man the guy looks smooth offensively.

He has 31 shots on net this year in 10 games.

The only D-men to average over 3 shots per game last season were Josi, Pietrangelo, Burns, and Theodore.

Bouchard has done it so far this year in 15 minutes per night and minimal 2nd unit PP time. (30 secs per game).

Pretty impressive to get that many pucks through from the blueline. His passing is pretty exceptional as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad