• Byfield

Votes: 114 56.7%
  • Slafkosvky

Votes: 87 43.3%

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
QB is more skilled, faster and a C. Him
Slafkovsky has the better shooting arsenal and is stronger along the boards.

Slafkovsky at 19 has 41 points and 15 goals in 72 games and is only 12 points behind Byfield playing on a worse team.

Byfield at the same age as Slafkovsky had 10 points in 40 games, and at 20 had 23 points in 55 games.

Frankly I'm surprised Byfield is running away with this. Especially since the question isn't who is better right now.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think one advantage Slafkovsky already has is an identity, he knows who he is and wants to be as a player. Byfield has evolved and is starting to believe but he is still a giant ball of clay. Would be a tough call on that alone.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Slafkovsky has the better shooting arsenal and is stronger along the boards.

Slafkovsky at 19 has 41 points and 15 goals in 72 games and is only 12 points behind Byfield playing on a worse team.

Byfield at the same age as Slafkovsky had 10 points in 40 games, and at 20 had 23 points in 55 games.

Frankly I'm surprised Byfield is running away with this. Especially since the question isn't who is better right now.
Not for nothing but he also played 5 fewer minutes per game and it was his first true pro season. If you look at both of their first pro seasons, it's pretty much the same thing. 12mpg and 10 points in 40 games.

I don't watch enough Montreal games to say who will be better, but context is important.

Reactions: Habano and Felidae

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Funny. I thought Slaf would win this hands down as he has some similarities in his profile, but is doing much more than QB did at 19.

It's interesting to see that people are willing to forget the 2 years difference and only analyze them for what they are today. In a way, this poll fits as a balance for the Stutzle vs Suzuki thread where Suzuki is 2 years older, yet it doesn't seem like many take it into account.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Slafkovsky’s ceiling may be higher than Byfield’s, but Byfield has progressed much farther than Slaf at this point. Maybe Slaf becomes better than Byfield in the future, but I take the more proven player who plays a more valuable position 10/10 times.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
haha gotta love the turnabout sheesh

kings fans spent time defending slaf because of his similar 'big guy' development path only for habs fans to turn around with 'haha suck it byfield, your development was too slow'

guess we should have known
Weird. I don't think this is the narrative. I love Byfield. Got him in my hockey pool. He's a really good young player. It is not a slight against him to prefer Slaf. I think they can be quite comparable at the end of the day. We have seen worse polls.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Uh.. Byfield has been playing mostly wing this year no? Not sure "more valuable position" applies here considering he had his breakout as a winger. Let's see how he plays going back to center first, he might actually end up a winger long term if his play is better as one.

Reactions: jfhabs

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Voted QB but Slaf is perfectly reasonable too.

2 very good young players starting to put it all together.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Did make this poll more than a year ago btw before their breakouts.

Was much closer.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Last half season (41 games):
Slaf: 13 goals, 20 assists, 33 points
Byfield: 11 goals, 19 assists, 30 points

Slaf is 2.5 years younger
Thank you. I am not sure why this post is creating this much debate as to who is better. They’re both super young and a significant age difference.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I'd take slaf honestly looks great on the boards and corners already and will start making plays from those areas with more regularity. In his draft season he was so good at coming out of the corners with the puck and either taking it to the net or zipping it to an open teammate Montreal has great player to build around in him. A play driving landeskog, they could build a heavy team with him and Guhle also Kirby dach they should build big if they want success which is why Lindstrom or silayev should be their choice if they don't get celebrini.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
id gamble on byfield's athleticism. if he puts it all together he can be a game breaking forward. if not slaf probably ends up better but i dont think it will be by a big margin.

Reactions: Faceboner

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
id gamble on byfield's athleticism. if he puts it all together he can be a game breaking forward. if not slaf probably ends up better but i dont think it will be by a big margin.
Byfield is absolute filthy but slaf also has gamebreaking potential as well or more of an ice tilter his play style will result in creating constant chances around the net where as Byfield is capable of making the pretty rush plays both seem like they would work great together though. Byfield is has really come along and broke out while slaf already looks to be breaking out. Him and caufield will do damage

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Did make this poll more than a year ago btw before their breakouts. Was much closer.

I think you should just continue there. You will feel much better.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I think you should just continue there. You will feel much better.
Lol, im a big fan of both players. I'm simply stating the facts of Slafkovsky being more productive than Byfield at 19 and 20 years old.

Thanks for your contribution though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad