Quintessential 2nd-Pairing-Dman and 2nd-Liner?

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
When I think brindamour I think 8 70+ point seasons and a playoff performer. Not really second liner.
He played behind Lindros, Francis and Staal his entire career. He's either an underwhelming 1st line center or an elite 2nd line center, I think I'd rather have the second. Guys like Brind'amour, Kesler, late period Yzerman, Toews, they're associated with winning as reliable, responsible 2nd line centers.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
kesler or carter as far as the 2C

probably good enough to be 1C on a lot of teams, but a handful for most other 2nd lines

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mostly agree on brodin, I'm just interpreting quintessential differently. It's a positive descriptor for me. His lack of offense is severe enough that he's not really who I would want on the first pair. However he'll lead a shutdown pair admirably. The kind of player a coach would love to put out there to keep his team out of trouble for 20 minutes per night
Maybe we can agree thta he is a complimentary 1st pairing guy to an offensive dman like Klingberg or EK, or a leader on a 2nd pairing. He has better skills than most 2nd pairing guys, but is a reluctant contributor on offense.

Reactions: NotYou

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Landesokg & Barrie
Stepan & Hjlamarsson
R. Smith & Schmidt
JT Miller & Shattenkirk
Backlund & Hamonic
JVR & Gardiner
Statsny & Parayko
Henrique & Manson
J. Staal & Pesce
M. Perreault & Myers
Palat & Stralman
Tatar & Green

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Michael Frolik.

The guy's a pure 2nd liner. He can produce (40-45 points a season). PK 1. PP 2. Tough match-ups all night. Swiss army knife, maybe Czech Army Knife?

2nd Pairing? Those are harder to peg. Petry would be a good name. Gardiner.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I'd say they are good 2nd liners. Not necessarily average ones.

I wouldn’t say they’re average second liners. But the question was quintessential second liners, or guys that are the definition of what a second liner should be.

Both of these guys fit that description to a T.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad