Quintessential 2nd-Pairing-Dman and 2nd-Liner?

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
From my team, it's the current version of Patrick Marleau. Can PP, PK, play on a defensive line, scoring line, drive a line occasionally, and play center occasionally. I read the OP's question as second line/pair on a contender, obviously Marleau would be first line in some situations

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Jason Zucker is tied for 9th in scoring amongst left wingers, and was 27th last year. He is a 1st liner. Not an elite one, but a first liner.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've always seen Justin Williams (not in playoffs) and Matt Cullen as the stereotypical 2nd liners. Always productive but sometimes you forget where theyre playing. Long careers because they do a lot of things well but were never stars. Consistent 40-50 point guys for most of their careers

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gardiner and Marleau
Both not what I would call typical second liners. Marleau is a former star 1st liner who is in decline because of age. Gardiner is a near elite offensive Dman, with poor defensive abilities.

Brodin for dmen
Brodin is an elite defender, with acceptable but unexciting offense. He would be a top pairing guy with many teams...he was with the Wild for two years. Scandella was a s0-called "3rd pairing Dman" with the Wild, and is now a so-called "1st pairing Dman" with BUFF, but in fact he is probably a prototypical 2nd pairing Dman.

I would say that Charlie Coyle is a prototypical, middle of the pack, 2nd liner.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Hornqvist is good for about 50 pts while being an asset on the PP. If he is one of your top wingers, your offence likely isn't all that great. But as a second liner? Fine by me.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Rod Brind'amour, Jonathan Toews, Ryan Kesler, Keith Primeau, Mike Peca. The 25 goal-60 point guy who you can use in all zones and situations, and especially the guy you give a big assignment to in a 7 game series.

Last edited:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Rob Brind'amour, Jonathan Toews, Ryan Kesler, Keith Primeau, Mike Peca. The 25 goal-60 point guy who you can use in all zones and situations, and especially the guy you give a big assignment to in a 7 game series.

When I think brindamour I think 8 70+ point seasons and a playoff performer. Not really second liner.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Both not what I would call typical second liners. Marleau is a former star 1st liner who is in decline because of age. Gardiner is a near elite offensive Dman, with poor defensive abilities.

Brodin is an elite defender, with acceptable but unexciting offense. He would be a top pairing guy with many teams...he was with the Wild for two years. Scandella was a s0-called "3rd pairing Dman" with the Wild, and is now a so-called "1st pairing Dman" with BUFF, but in fact he is probably a prototypical 2nd pairing Dman.

I would say that Charlie Coyle is a prototypical, middle of the pack, 2nd liner.
Mostly agree on brodin, I'm just interpreting quintessential differently. It's a positive descriptor for me. His lack of offense is severe enough that he's not really who I would want on the first pair. However he'll lead a shutdown pair admirably. The kind of player a coach would love to put out there to keep his team out of trouble for 20 minutes per night

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00