Quinn Hughes vs Cale Makar

Who's the better prospect?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Toss up so I homer voted.

Cale is the better two-way prospect, more powerful & has the better shot; Hughes is slipperier & more creative/ballsy in the offensive zone...although Cale's audacity has made good progress at UMASS.

This is where I would land as well. Close but I would go with Makar. I think he has a more complete game. Well said on your description of Hughes being “slippery” and “creative/ballsy.”

But we’ll see how it turns out. I’m biased towards Hughes but I think Makar is the right choice at the moment. His shot is definitely a big advantage over Hughes. IMO Quinn will have to improve his shot, strength, and defensive play in order to be truly elite.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is where I would land as well. Close but I would go with Makar. I think he has a more complete game. Well said on your description of Hughes being “slippery” and “creative/ballsy.”

But we’ll see how it turns out. I’m biased towards Hughes but I think Makar is the right choice at the moment. His shot is definitely a big advantage over Hughes. IMO Quinn will have to improve his shot, strength, and defensive play in order to be truly elite.

Yeah, Hughes has that Gaudreau/raper-Kane thing going where he can slide around/off-of guys like he was coated in grease, and his ingenuity/gaul with the puck is just delightful. Whereas Cale "plays it safe" and makes "the right play" a lot more...although he's gotten more assertive at UMASS.

Cale's the safe choice to me, as he's further into his development curve & his two-way play makes him a safe bet even if he doesn't produce super-elite #s...and I like his fit better for us...but if we didn't have creatives like MacKinnon & Rantanen up front, I think I'd prefer Hughes; even if his play against the puck never becomes better than average -- which I don't expect.

So I think the biggest difference will be whether you need a guy to drive things offensively from the backend, or more of an all-rounder. Alongside Heiskanen, these are two of my favorite young blueliners in that post-Dahlin-&-Seth tier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Love

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Hughes has been more impressive. He also is younger.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I prefer Makar. His offense is one thing, but to see someone his age with his defensive ability is so rare.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him end up the best player in his draft class.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I voted Hughes because he will be better thru out their careers and doesnt hate his country

Reactions: cgf

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Toss up so I homer voted.

Cale is the better two-way prospect, more powerful & has the better shot; Hughes is slipperier & more creative/ballsy in the offensive zone...although Cale's audacity has made good progress at UMASS.
I picked Makar not for the homer vote but more because his defense is a fair ways better.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I picked Makar not for the homer vote but more because his defense is a fair ways better.

I can't really contest that argument, but I also couldn't argue with someone who said they were picking Hughes because he was more crafty in the offensive zone & could create more danger because of it, which could compensate for the defensive disadvantage. Which is why I ended up letting their sweaters decide :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tv9924

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don’t have an issue with people choosing makar, but people that think Hughes is some sort of defensive liability or his weakness, you guys are absolutely out to lunch. His defensive side of the game is not an issue.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
These 2 are gonna be really interesting to watch - really liked Cale's game 3 but Hughes played amazing in his short stint as well - of course too small sample size so we'll need a full season. Also important to remember Cale has had an extra year of development.

I really prefer Quinn's gusto and offensive game - walking the line like he can and skating the puck is really a great skillset and was noticeable right away, but Cale is definitely further along on the D side though I feel like Quinn's dzone weakness is really getting exaggerated here.

Cale seems more like an all around'er but still quite prolific in the offensive zone - super stoked to see the Avs future here with the talent they have up front and new guys they have coming up. Really super pumped for both of these guys.

Makar also did not look small at all, maybe it's just the way he plays but I was impressed - this is a toss up.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
TBH I think it is still very very close and it will take years for us to finally find an answer. Both players will be stars in this league and will have a giant impact on their respective teams.

Its so interesting to compare offensive dmen because they all vary so much stylistically.

This is like comparing Barzal vs EP, its really less about who is actually better and more about which player do you absolutely love more. Only winners here.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t have an issue with people choosing makar, but people that think Hughes is some sort of defensive liability or his weakness, you guys are absolutely out to lunch. His defensive side of the game is not an issue.

If you're referring to my posts; stating that Makar has the advantage against the puck doesn't mean I was saying that Hughes isn't good against it. That said Cale's two-way potential is one of the most exciting things about him and a clear advantage in this comparison.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I think Makar is much further along but Hughes has the higher ceiling. Hughes is my favourite prospect right now, so much speed to every part of his game.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
He's a higher risk player, comes with the territory.

I'd rather have him causing massive chaos in the opposition zone and setting up Boeser for rebounds than being in a good defensive position all the time.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Makar has the tools to be generational. Hughes will likely be the best offensively gifted dman the Canucks ever had, but still not even close for me. Makar is just that much better talent wise.

Is it just me or do Hughes and Petterson come off just a bit smug? Cale seems like a genuinely humble and great kid. I have seen tons of interviews of him and watched he is quickly becoming my favorite player ever because of both his skills and personality. He is a joy to watch. #mankarcrush

Reactions: Lemonlimey

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Makar has the tools to be generational. Hughes will likely be the best offensively gifted dman the Canucks ever had, but still not even close for me. Makar is just that much better talent wise.

Is it just me or do Hughes and Petterson come off just a bit smug? Cale seems like a genuinely humble and great kid. I have seen tons of interviews of him and watched he is quickly becoming my favorite player ever because of both his skills and personality. He is a joy to watch. #mankarcrush

*Checks user name - no bias here folks!

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

How the hell are EP and Hughes a bit smug? Both are kind and soft spoken.

Talk about making stuff and no Makar is not much more talented. Hughes has the better offensive ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad