Quinn Hughes vs Cale Makar

Who's the better prospect?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
I'll take Makar and so should ultimately 30 other teams unless you have a real #1 already and you want a Huhges type. Makar will be that and I agree with potential troll bias Makar fan he kinda has that generational "aura" ill call it but I cant say I know or agree with what character types Petterson/Huhges

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
Makar for as young as he is plays defense like a veteran sometimes. I think they both will have good careers offensively with Hughes having a slight advantage in that area. The defense however is what stands out for Makar. I also think for the little I have seen of both of them Makar seems to have this clear vision when he is on the ice for someone so young.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'll take the prospect who can be trusted out there in big moments at both ends of the rink.

Hughes will be great for us but I think Makar is on par with him offensively and can get it done in his own zone.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I hate the timing of this poll. Carry on.

Why? We've seen both play a handful of NHL games at this point, the last poll between the two was taken almost a year ago. I think it's a decent time for the poll to take place. I made this poll out of curiosity, as they've both had very good seasons and both have gotten their feet wet in the NHL, as I previously alluded to.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Why? We've seen both play a handful of NHL games at this point, the last poll between the two was taken almost a year ago. I think it's a decent time for the poll to take place. I made this poll out of curiosity, as they've both had very good seasons and both have gotten their feet wet in the NHL, as I previously alluded to.
I'd say ask again at the end of next season. Hughes played a few meaningless game while Makar was thrown right in the playoffs, really can't compare the two scenario.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I'd say ask again at the end of next season. Hughes played a few meaningless game while Makar was thrown right in the playoffs, really can't compare the two scenario.

I really didn't feel like it was necessary to wait an entire year before asking who HF currently considers the better prospect. I'm going to go ahead and assume there is more to the result of this poll than the few games played in the NHL, but it was certainly nice to see both guys play professional Hockey regardless of the situation.

We can revisit this poll next year as well.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
"what have you done fore me lately"

I actually agree with Makar, he's got the makings of a great all-around Dman, but the timing here with one guy playing great hockey in the playoffs and one guy golfing, is going to skew things.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I pick Quinn Makar.

Both are really close IMO. I'd give a small edge to Makar since I believe (like others already said) he's a bit more complete as a player.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
How the hell are EP and Hughes a bit smug? Both are kind and soft spoken.

Talk about making stuff and no Makar is not much more talented. Hughes has the better offensive ceiling.

Just my opinion, but watch facial expressions when Petey makes a nice play and listen to the way Hughes speaks in interviews. To me there is some smugness. I live in a suburb of Vancouver BTW.

And absolutely Makar has the higher ceiling. Only thing Hughes does better is twist and turn and dipsy doodle around. His edge work may be one of best ever I will give him that. Quinn will likely be the best offensive dman in Canuck history. Time will tell. I respect your opinion, but mine is different.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
I would take definitely take Makar.

I love Hughes as a Canucks fan and think he'll be our best offensive defenseman in history, but Makar's bigger/stronger, better defensively, better shot, and a righty to boot. Hughes will likely be more dynamic offensively, but Makar's overall package makes him an easy choice.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Makar has the tools to be generational. Hughes will likely be the best offensively gifted dman the Canucks ever had, but still not even close for me. Makar is just that much better talent wise.

Is it just me or do Hughes and Petterson come off just a bit smug? Cale seems like a genuinely humble and great kid. I have seen tons of interviews of him and watched he is quickly becoming my favorite player ever because of both his skills and personality. He is a joy to watch. #mankarcrush
you are def out to lunch, Quinn literally is a mouse and doesn't say much. Pettersson has a language issue but he doesn't have a problem calling out media for dumb questions.. thats about it.

As for the topic.. both will be in th Norris races for years Makar probably more often than Quinn but I dont think Makar is decidedly better at anything other than shot power right now. Theres a size bias against Quinn like he's Marc Andre Bergeron or something lol

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I like Quinn's creativity more, I think he's a got a better mind for the game. Makar's a lot more physically mature and powerful right now, and Hughes may never quite catch up to that. Cale's also a smart player and saying Hughes is more creative isn't a knock on him. So it's close.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Canucks played blues preds and stars who all had something to play for. There was also the sharks who are a playoff team. Hardly meaningless.

Not like they played buffalo Edmonton and ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad