Quinn Hughes vs #1 overall pick?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
If a player is consensus best in 2020, it doesn't mean they're better than the best players from previous years, especially when those players are 20 year old #1D.
Laf is one of the biggest name prospects of the past 10 years. Experts VERY rarely get that wrong.

Im done arguing with you. Poll speaks for itself.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Laf is one of the biggest name prospects of the past 10 years. Experts VERY rarely get that wrong.

Im done arguing with you. Poll speaks for itself.

Cool, but like I said, majority of people doesn't mean they're right.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
How often does it happen that a consensus #1 pick at forward ends out being a bust or very ordinary? The only 2 I can think of (in the past 30 years) are Yakupov and Daigle.

And I said consensus before you start throwing RNH as an argument.

Hichscier/Patrick look pretty ordinary.

But anyways, I'd rather go with the somewhat proven player. Hughes at least has almost a full season of NHL play for me to look at it, and he was quite impressive. What if Laf struggles his first couple years the way MacKInnon did? Hughes stepped in and played at a #1D level pretty much right away.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Hichscier/Patrick look pretty ordinary.

But anyways, I'd rather go with the somewhat proven player. Hughes at least has almost a full season of NHL play for me to look at it, and he was quite impressive. What if Laf struggles his first couple years the way MacKInnon did? Hughes stepped in and played at a #1D level pretty much right away.
WHen I say consensus I mean a sure fire #1 prospect like: J.Hughes, Matthews, McDavid, (Yakupov and MacKinnon somewhat), Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, Ovie, Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Thornton, Daigle, Lindros.... Most hyped, if you will.

Hischier and Patrick were nowhere near that kind of "hype". It was an off year.... while this year's draft is deep.

But yeah, why not end out being like MacKinnon? It could take 3-4 years until hes elite for all we know, and Hughes could possibly (but unlikely) end out just having a great rookie season a la: Ghostisbhere, Werenski, Ekbald, Myers.

Bottom line, its early for both. Hughes had an exceptional rookie season, no doubt, and I think he'll probably have a great career. But having a great rookie season, is still just one season.

Being the "sure fire #1 prospect" is Top 5 player in the NHL potential... see the list of players in my first paragraph.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
WHen I say consensus I mean a sure fire #1 prospect like: J.Hughes, Matthews, McDavid, (Yakupov and MacKinnon somewhat), Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, Ovie, Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Thornton, Daigle, Lindros.... Most hyped, if you will.

Hischier and Patrick were nowhere near that kind of "hype". It was an off year.

But yeah, why not end out being like MacKinnon? It could take 3-4 years until hes elite for all we know, and Hughes could possibly (but unlikely) end out just having a great rookie season a la: Ghostisbhere, Werenski, Ekbald, Myers.

Bottom line, its early for both. Hughes had an exceptional rookie season, no doubt, and I think he'll probably have a great career. But having a great rookie season, is still just one season.

Being the "sure fire #1 prospect" is Top 5 player in the NHL potential... see the list of players in my first paragraph.

I'd still rather go with the sure thing.

Laf is a question mark until hes played at least his roomie year. For all we know he ends up a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad