Quinn Hughes vs #1 overall pick?

Quinn Hughes vs #1 overall pick?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
I would take Laf as well, but that doesn’t mean Quinn couldn’t have a better career between the two. Shiny new toy with all the hype is just more attractive at the moment.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I guess you can make such a claim without applying any context.

Victor Hedman is a franchise defenseman, Alex Ovechkin is a franchise winger. Which one would you pick at 18 years old?

When did I ever say Lafreniere would be a franchise winger? I specifically left that out because I do not think he's going to be a franchise winger.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I take both Hughes & Makar. Similar ceiling but at this point the floor is just so much higher on the established defenders.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
When did I ever say Lafreniere would be a franchise winger? I specifically left that out because I do not think he's going to be a franchise winger.
I must've misinterpreted your post then, my bad.

Reactions: Nabrules

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
what I told you he would be as good a Patrick Kane

what if I told you that you could have a guaranteed 20 year old number 1 elite D who lead the rookie scoring race or an unproven question mark who might be Taylor Hall?

Reactions: deflowd

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
what if I told you that you could have a guaranteed 20 year old number 1 elite D who lead the rookie scoring race or an unproven question mark who might be Taylor Hall?
so apparently leading rookie Dmen in scoring is a guaranteed elite 1D.

how did winning the Clader work out for Tyler Myers or Aaron Ekblad? elite 1Ds, right?

Look, youre clearly in the minority for a reason.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
so apparently leading rookie Dmen in scoring is a guaranteed elite 1D.

how did winning the Clader work out for Tyler Myers or Aaron Ekblad? elite 1Ds, right?

Look, youre clearly in the minority for a reason.

Neither Myers or Ekblad won the scoring race. In fact, the list of D who did, is Bobby Orr, Quinn Hughes and Brian Leetch.

Great minds think alike, but fools rarely differ.

Reactions: Voight

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Neither Myers or Ekblad won the scoring race. In fact, the list of D who did, is Bobby Orr, Quinn Hughes and Brian Leetch.

Great minds think alike, but fools rarely differ.

I see, so its a guarantee that Hughes is the next Leetch/Orr since he lead rookies in scoring... This based on it happening twice in the past 50 years. Gotcha!.... HUGE sample size there.

Sorry, what the poll at now, btw?

Reactions: Dominance

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I see, so its a guarantee that Hughes is the next Leetch/Orr since he lead rookies in scoring... This based on it happening twice in the past 50 years. Gotcha!.... HUGE sample size there.

Sorry, what the poll at now, btw?

How many people were hanged/burned alive for saying the earth went around the sun? Just because everybody believes something doesn't mean it's correct, nor did I say that Hughes was guaranteed to be the next Orr, or Leetch.

Also, not twice in the last 50 years, 3 times in the last 80 years.

Give me the guy who's already in the NHL, only two years older, led the scoring race as a rookie D and has a similar ceiling but with a far higher floor, based on, you know, how he's already in the NHL. I'd also prefer the franchise D to the franchise winger.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Hughes has at least played some NHL games (and payed very well)

Laf has as many NHL games played as I do. He's accomplished as much in the NHL as I have.

How often does it happen that a consensus #1 pick at forward ends out being a bust or very ordinary? The only 2 I can think of (in the past 30 years) are Yakupov and Daigle.

And I said consensus before you start throwing RNH as an argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
How many people were hanged/burned alive for saying the earth went around the sun? Just because everybody believes something doesn't mean it's correct, nor did I say that Hughes was guaranteed to be the next Orr, or Leetch.

Also, not twice in the last 50 years, 3 times in the last 80 years.

Give me the guy who's already in the NHL, only two years older, led the scoring race as a rookie D and has a similar ceiling but with a far higher floor, based on, you know, how he's already in the NHL. I'd also prefer the franchise D to the franchise winger.

and how many people still believe the earth is flat?

3 times in 80 years is an even smaller sample size. That didnt help your argument. But whatever... youre in the minority by a long shot as you can see.

see my post above. THe chances that Laf ends out being ordinary (or a bust) are extremely small. Experts rarely get it wrong...... Would it be the biggest shock in the world that somehow Hughes end being more valuable than Laf? No. But its unlikely.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
3 times in 80 years is an even smaller sample size. That didnt help your argument. But whatever... youre in the minority by a long shot as you can see.

see my post above. THe chances that Laf ends out being ordinary (or a bust) are extremely small. Experts rarely get it wrong.

Experts get it wrong all the time, that's why they say the draft is a crapshoot. How many top players are drafted outside the top 15 picks? top 20? Outside the first round? Over a third of the top 70 scorers in the NHL in the 2016-2017 season were drafted outside of the top 20, or undrafted altogether.

I'm aware the sample size is even smaller, but don't particularly care. I'm also aware that I'm among the minority, but like I said, being in the minority doesn't mean you're incorrect. I'm of the opinion that it's unbelievably stupid to turn away from a 20 year old #1D for a #1W, who maxes out at roughly the ceiling of Hughes/Makar when the latter are actually in the NHL and have proven that they can play among men.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Experts get it wrong all the time, that's why they say the draft is a crapshoot. How many top players are drafted outside the top 15 picks? top 20? Outside the first round? Over a third of the top 70 scorers in the NHL in the 2016-2017 season were drafted outside of the top 20, or undrafted altogether.

I'm aware the sample size is even smaller, but don't particularly care. I'm also aware that I'm among the minority, but like I said, being in the minority doesn't mean you're incorrect. I'm of the opinion that it's unbelievably stupid to turn away from a 20 year old #1D for a #1W, who maxes out at roughly the ceiling of Hughes/Makar when the latter are actually in the NHL and have proven that they can play among men.
not when it comes to CONSENSUS #1 picks at forward.... again, happened twice in about 35 years (Yakupov and Daigle).

and absolutely NO ONE says this draft is a crapshoot including Laf. Hes as much a consensus #1 pick as: McDavid, Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, Ovie, Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, THornton etc were.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
not when it comes to CONSENSUS #1 pick at forward.... again, happened twice in about 35 years (Yakupov and Daigle).

It doesn't matter if it's consensus, just because someone is the best in 2020, doesn't mean they'd be the best in 2017 or 2018, especially when the other options are two 20 year old #1D who are already playing in the NHL. Give me the sure thing, every time, within reason.

I never said THIS year was a crapshoot, I'm saying the draft in general is a crapshoot.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
It doesn't matter if it's consensus, just because someone is the best in 2020, doesn't mean they'd be the best in 2017 or 2018, especially when the other options are two 20 year old #1D who are already playing in the NHL. Give me the sure thing, every time, within reason.

I never said THIS year was a crapshoot, I'm saying the draft in general is a crapshoot.

what?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

If a player is consensus best in 2020, it doesn't mean they're better than the best players from previous years, especially when those players are 20 year old #1D and the pick has no NHL experience.

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad