Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
To be fair, he's played enough games to be in the 3rd round compared to past recent history. If we actually make it there, I think you can safely take any asterisk off though!

There is no asterik.

Here's a post by @skyur that sums up the idiocy of "ThErE sHoUlD bE a AsEtErik"

"I know how you feel.

That's why I put an asterisk around every playoffs after 1966, when the playoffs were expanded from 4 to 8 teams, extending the postseason from 2 rounds of hockey to 3. It was much easier to break playoff records with that many more games and teams to play.

And that's why I put TWO asterisks around every playoffs after 1973, when the playoffs were expanded from 8 to 12 teams to create 4 rounds of hockey with byes, and round 1 being best-of-3. Playoff records got even easier to break.

And that's why I put THREE asterisks around every playoffs after 1980, when the playoffs were expanded from 12 to 16 teams to create 4 rounds with no byes but round 1 was best-of-5.

And that's why I put FOUR asterisks around every playoffs after 1987, when round 1 was changed to best-of-7.

Every playoffs after that is not the true playoffs so every record is tainted."

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008
There is no asterik.

Here's a post by @skyur that sums up the idiocy of "ThErE sHoUlD bE a AsEtErik"

"I know how you feel.

That's why I put an asterisk around every playoffs after 1966, when the playoffs were expanded from 4 to 8 teams, extending the postseason from 2 rounds of hockey to 3. It was much easier to break playoff records with that many more games and teams to play.

And that's why I put TWO asterisks around every playoffs after 1973, when the playoffs were expanded from 8 to 12 teams to create 4 rounds of hockey with byes, and round 1 being best-of-3. Playoff records got even easier to break.

And that's why I put THREE asterisks around every playoffs after 1980, when the playoffs were expanded from 12 to 16 teams to create 4 rounds with no byes but round 1 was best-of-5.

And that's why I put FOUR asterisks around every playoffs after 1987, when round 1 was changed to best-of-7.

Every playoffs after that is not the true playoffs so every record is tainted."

First, as a Canucks fan, I'm more playing devil's advocate. Second, it's being asinine to ignore context - no one does it to excuse lower point totals in lock-out years and such. Yes, more teams play as the league grows. Yes, the league evolves. Yes, this is also exceptional playoffs that is unique in it's current context and until the league grows past 4 rounds regularly, it's exceptional. Quinn Hughes is amazing - I don't think it takes that away to understand context though. Playoff point records especially can never really be normalized anyway because the number of games played changes all the time and I doubt the players care at the end of the day - they only care about wining the cup.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Dominant against minny and st louis with the best underlying numbers on the team

struggled 1-4 against vegas
recovered 5-6 against
no one showed up in game 7

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Calder Trophy winner should be announced soon? if not today?

Still think Quinn is the underdog to Makar on this award.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

for sure, usually stat watchers will choose Makar, but Hughes played harder minutes , played most of the time against other teams top lines, and he also doesn't have the same fire power Makar has to work with.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Dominant against minny and st louis with the best underlying numbers on the team

struggled 1-4 against vegas
recovered 5-6 against
no one showed up in game 7

c72f561e0968bf3a459fef92bd9a3c1004db825d.gifv

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Yep, we're coming down to it now. Calder winner supposed to be announced early in the Cup Final series.

Sadly you're probably right. Quinn will get screwed over by some of the tunnel-vision writers in the East. Too bad the votes were in before the playoffs started. Makar was good for the Av's, but Quinn was far better for the Canucks. And both teams made it to the conference semis.

But it'll be tight, a few votes either way.

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
This is my prediction/take on the Calder:

The hype was fading and people were forgetting about Makar who hadn't played in 2 weeks but then he came back from injury and had an excellent game. He had 3 points in what became the final regular season game before the lockdown.
Makar had 5 points in his last 3 games. Hughes had 1 point in the last 3. I feel that one game (and perhaps final 3 games) turned the pendulum back in the favour of Makar for Calder votes.

Prior to that game, for a few weeks, the talk was all Hughes and rightfully so. I would say Hughes had the Calder wrapped. But after, the stats became much closer and the healthy debate was once again sparked.
Makar ended up with 4 more goals in 11 less games. His PPG was 0.88 to Hughes 0.78.

Now, I think the Calder should be like the MVP (the one who is most valuable to their team) and I would say Hughes was much more valuable to Vancouver's success then Makar was to Colorado's. If the voters take that into consideration, I think Hughes has a really good chance to win.

But with all that said, (unfortunately) I think Makar squeaks out the Calder win by the slimmest of margins. Like 51-49, or 52-48
(not counting 3rd place percentages).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The hype was fading and people were forgetting about Makar who hadn't played in 2 weeks but then he came back from injury and had an excellent game. He had 3 points in what became the final regular season game before the lockdown.
Makar had 5 points in his last 3 games. Hughes had 1 point in the last 3. I feel that one game (and perhaps final 3 games) turned the pendulum back in the favour of Makar for Calder votes.

Prior to that game, for a few weeks, the talk was all Hughes and rightfully so. I would say Hughes had the Calder wrapped. But after, the stats became much closer and the healthy debate was once again sparked.
Makar ended up with 4 more goals in 11 less games. His PPG was 0.88 to Hughes 0.78.

do we know when they voted? i’m guessing it probably was early in the playoffs, when qh was killing it a d makar hadn’t warmed back up yet?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
this has been quite a ride. Immense respect to Makar, I'm not mad if he gets it, but Quinn definitely contributed more to our team and is about equal if you look at their stats objectively. Fingers crossed that Quinn gets a streak of Calder winners started.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Makar missed 12 games. Games matter, if you missed that many games and there is a player that is at your level and was healthy. This player should get it which is Hughes.
The trophy is rookie of the year and not rookie of the year for 80% of the season.

Similar to Landeskog got the Calder over RNH

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Regardless of who wins, Hughes has records in the regular season and playoffs that I don't suspect players will break for a quite a while.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Makar is a great player and at the end of the day it doesn’t affect Hughes’ trajectory to narrowly miss out on the Calder

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
All in all, it might be a good thing Hughes didn't win the Calder. Canucks probably avoid extra bonus payments.

But, I think Quinn deserved to win. His presence elevated the team to playoff calibre. It's not surprising Makar won though (and he was very good). Just despite so many in the MSM complaining about how offensive defensemen need to play defense, they just award the highest point-per-game player anyway.

Anyway, I can't think of a rookie class with so many elite defensemen. Adam Fox finished fourth, and he had an incredible season in his own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad