Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Because of how physical they are playing him, and as a rookie, he doesn't know how to effectively spin off checks, the idea is to play QH less (under 20?) so he won't tire out. This is reminiscent of Petey's first year when he admitted he ran out of gas in the last chunk of games. But he was way more efficient tonight with less minutes

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hughes badly needs to develop his point shot. Whether that be a slapper or even wrister that can get through traffic, it doesn't matter, so long as he develops something.

The forwards of Vegas and even St. Louis have given no respect to his shot whatsoever. They know he's going to pass it every time.

And the rare times he does shoot it, it never gets through.

He needs to develop a shot to keep the defenders honest (which frees up other trigger options such as Petey) and so that he can actually make use of any space given to him to shoot, if the defenders would rather cover his passing lanes.

I use to think that but after seeing Hughes play I don't think that anymore. Hughes does have an accurate wrister.

Hughes is rarely stationary on the PP. You don't respect his shot and back off of him he can be open for a pass closer to the net or create room with his skating. He can skate the puck in or change the angles to set up one of a teammate. It's nice to have a big blast from the point but in reality goals aren't often scored on the PP off shots from the point that gets through to the net.

Teams simply don't rely on shots from the point anymore. Most PP goals are scored off of a pass and there are less point shot blasts. More commonly, you're trying to create shooting lanes with traffic in front of the net or set up one-timers from the half wall. Obviously, Hughes isn't a guy who is looking to be set up for a one timer. That's not his game. In today's game, I don't think it's a problem at all.

In tonight's game I was actually thinking that the Canucks took way too many shots from the point. It wasn't working.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Of all the teams Hughes has faced this season, the Knights have done the best job of neutralizing him so far. Yet he's still picking up points here and there.

But they aren't letting him walk the blueline or do those quick pivots in his own zone, which are his bread and butter. I've never seen Hughes just bank the puck off the boards to get it out, as much as he has in this series. Those Knights forwards are on him in a heartbeat.

Yet despite all this, Hughes still led all Canuck d-men in ice-time during the back to backs. So he must be doing something right.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I'm just so impressed with him. Even after a team figures him out, beats him down, wears him out, and never gives him a second to make a play, he STILL figures out instrumental ways to help his team win. He was absolutely key on both Canucks goals tonight. I've never seen this sort of compete level from a rookie on any team I've ever cheered for, and especially not this late in his first season, when most great rookies I've ever seen have fallen back down to earth. And I've been watching the game closely since 1983.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
That was always his defect, even going back to the draft. It's the only reason he didn't go 5th or 6th because it's hard for small defensemen who don't have cannons like Krug or Ellis to stick (a la Pouliot).
Nah, it was his size.

If he was 6'1 or 6'2 and 190-200lb he would have gone right behind Dahlin and arguably ahead of Svechnikov.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
Nah, it was his size.

If he was 6'1 or 6'2 and 190-200lb he would have gone right behind Dahlin and arguably ahead of Svechnikov.

Yeah, his size was gonna be a reason he was going to fall, but it was also the fact he was a small AND didn't exactly have a great slap shot. That was the bust risk with him. If you don't have/develop a good shot and you're not big, your comparables are Pouliot and Bartkowski. If he had a Krug-like one timer, he would have gone 4, 5 or 6 regardless of his size.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Yeah, his size was gonna be a reason he was going to fall, but it was also the fact he was a small AND didn't exactly have a great slap shot. That was the bust risk with him. If you don't have/develop a good shot and you're not big, your comparables are Pouliot and Bartkowski. If he had a Krug-like one timer, he would have gone 4, 5 or 6 regardless of his size.
Nah, it was his size.

And yet the fact he was still selected in the FIRST round speaks to how a D man - even of his size - is just sooooo skilled that you can't pass him up! Good on the Canucks scouting staff.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hughes has a very bright future, he’s great offensively; has unbelievable skating, skill and awareness. Good defensive game; reads the play very well, has a great stick, makes quick passes and transitions the puck out effectively. Over the course of the season he’s improved on when to take risks and when not to, he’s learning rapidly at what he can and cannot do at the NHL level. He said he worked on his shot and strength in the offseason and both have gotten noticeably better. He has a low Center of gravity and once he develops man strength he’s going to have incredible balance and will be very difficult to knock off the puck (will make him more effective defensively). Remember this is his rookie season and he’s playing top minutes against a Stanley Cup contender in the 2nd round of the playoffs. One thing he should add to his game is some tenacity (Duncan Keith); battle hard, put your stick up when getting hit, slash, butt end, get feisty. Awesome rookie season, great player, glad the Canucks have him.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hughes badly needs to develop his point shot. Whether that be a slapper or even wrister that can get through traffic, it doesn't matter, so long as he develops something.

The forwards of Vegas and even St. Louis have given no respect to his shot whatsoever. They know he's going to pass it every time.

And the rare times he does shoot it, it never gets through.

He needs to develop a shot to keep the defenders honest (which frees up other trigger options such as Petey) and so that he can actually make use of any space given to him to shoot, if the defenders would rather cover his passing lanes.

What did you think of his goal last game (Game 6?)

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
What did you think of his goal last game (Game 6?)

It was a great shot. I haven’t seen him take a shot like that in a long time.

It’s good to see that the power is there.

I want to see more slappers from him on the PP when he’s given space, but lower, closer to the ice.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Quinn now adds rookie scoring leader in the playoffs to his regular season title. Plus, he has fir sure the record fir rookie D in the playoffs too. Makar came up with zeros across the board in the Av’s game 7 loss.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Quinn now adds rookie scoring leader in the playoffs to his regular season title. Plus, he has fir sure the record fir rookie D in the playoffs too. Makar came up with zeros across the board in the Av’s game 7 loss.

Yep, Hughes officially holds that record now and Makar cannot break it.

Most points by a rookie defenceman in a single playoff run.

Crazy that he’s done it in two rounds. Imagine his totals if we could make a deep run.

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008

Crazy that he’s done it in two rounds. Imagine his totals if we could make a deep run.

To be fair, he's played enough games to be in the 3rd round compared to past recent history. If we actually make it there, I think you can safely take any asterisk off though!

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

3 rounds. These stats include the series with Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad