Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The draft rankings that are publicly available need to be knocked down a few pegs, they’re given far too much undue credence when evaluating a whether a pick was good or bad.

A really dumb trope that gets repeated as nauseum here is to always draft BPA no matter what with high 1st round picks. You realize this means in 2018 on draft day you would’ve preferred to get Zadina over Hughes? Ridiculous. Even if Zadina becomes a star PPG winger and equal in value he would not have made our team better than Hughes did because Hughes filled the way way way more important positional need. Hughes transformed our entire play style on the backend by himself as a rookie. The BPA trope fails hard here and again all the time.

This BPA trope conveniently reinforces ‘Benning is bad’ because it essentially judges a GM based on how closely his picks line up with Bob McKenzie’s list. Think about that for a second.

That means if a GM takes a real risk on a prospect in the top 10 of the draft and it turns out he was right and it pays off any of the many differing scouting agencies or media talking heads can have that player ranked around where he was taken in the mountain of pre-draft mocks and then that invalidates all of the work/effort and credit that deserves recognition? That’s bullcrap. Total bull crap.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Don't think Kotkaniemi was really off the board. Definitely Arizona though.

he was totally off the boards, they had that female habs fans reacting to that pick, it was off the boards and his 2 assist in 26 games shows it.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Kotkaniemi wasn't off the board. As mentioned by FAN, him going top five was actually predicted by some.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think Kotka was the right pick its just the Habs are horrible at developing prospects worse then anyone

Reactions: Hughes4Norris

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Half way through the season, and we're already reaching the point where Quinn Hughes can actually take over a game. When he's determined to rush the puck into the offensive zone and make a play, it seems the whole rink tilts.

I get the fact that Montreal and Arizona were desperate for centers in that 2018 draft, and went for Kotkaniemi and Hayton. But Thomas Drance opines that Hughes was the best player in that 2018 draft. Hard to argue with him so far.

Buzz Gunderson

Jan 2, 2020
Half way through the season, and we're already reaching the point where Quinn Hughes can actually take over a game. When he's determined to rush the puck into the offensive zone and make a play, it seems the whole rink tilts.

I get the fact that Montreal and Arizona were desperate for centers in that 2018 draft, and went for Kotkaniemi and Hayton. But Thomas Drance opines that Hughes was the best player in that 2018 draft. Hard to argue with him so far.

Knowing what we know now, I’d still take Dahlin 1st, Svechnikov 2nd and Hughes 3rd. He’s a great pick but Drance is out to lunch if he thinks Hughes is the best player from that draft.,

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I still can't believe Montreal rushed Kotkaniemi to the team right out of the draft.
I’m not sure it’s simply bad development. I don’t think Kotkaneimi would be a top center even if they let him cook for a couple years or if he was picked by another organization. He simply lacks some of the key components needed to be a top line center in the nhl.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
There complete idoits

8ag9.gif

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I still can't believe Montreal rushed Kotkaniemi to the team right out of the draft.

I’m not sure it’s simply bad development. I don’t think Kotkaneimi would be a top center even if they let him cook for a couple years or if he was picked by another organization. He simply lacks some of the key components needed to be a top line center in the nhl.

It's hard to say he was rushed. He did have a solid rookie year. Personally I think he's fine. I can see him as a 55 point playmaking C type.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Serious question...

Can anyone remember the last time a rookie defence man came int0 the league in his D+2 and put up 60 points while munching 25+ hard minutes per game against the other team’s top units in a shutdown role?

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Serious question...

Can anyone remember the last time a rookie defence man came int0 the league in his D+2 and put up 60 points while munching 25+ hard minutes per game against the other team’s top units in a shutdown role?

I honestly think we are already taking him for Granted It’s not just the points , it’s his defensive play and minute munching, he’s rarely making bad defensive plays.It’s unbelievable. He’s exactly what this team needed. He reminds me of Scott niedermayer

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Drew Doughty put up 59P his D+2; I would think he's the closest comparable

Doughty is a solid comparable. Especially In how he can control a game with his skating . Hughes is doing this as well. Though I think doughty was an untamed wild horse in his first couple years. His rookie year doughty was flying all over the ice and a liability defensively until he learned to reign it in a bit and know when to wind it up

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Doughty is a solid comparable. Especially In how he can control a game with his skating . Hughes is doing this as well. Though I think doughty was an untamed wild horse in his first couple years. His rookie year doughty was flying all over the ice and a liability defensively until he learned to reign it in a bit and know when to wind it up

I remember watching Doughty as a 19/20 year old casually spinning off the best players in the world, making good plays, shutting down the opponent’s offence, being super clutch and thinking he was the best defence man in the world at the time. That’s elite elite talent - the top 1% of the top 1%. Doughty won 2 cups. If he is Quinn’s closest statistical comparable that’s pretty mind boggling.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Drew Doughty put up 59P and was routinely played for 23:00+ in his D+2; I would think he's the closest and most recent comparable. Anyone who was around for that 2010 playoff series remembers how good he was at that age

Honestly Doughty wishes he had the offensive creativity and skill that Hughes has.

In the age of ultra high skilled defenceman. Hughes skill set is one of a kind.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Housley is not a bad comparable still. Quinn's defensive game is much better, but the way they dominate the PP and transition is uncanny. Either way, I have no second thoughts to call him a franchise D halfway into his rookie season. He is not just a breakout machine, he is a "everything" D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad