Confirmed with Link: Quincey Re-Signed, 2yrs/$4.25 AAV

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If the margin is so significant why did they fail as a pair? If we can agree that Smith is the better offensive player and Quincey is better defensively why did that pairing fare so poorly? I'd say it's because Smith is a better offensive d-man than Quincey is better defensively.

You know how some forward combinations and duos just don't gel the way you'd imagine? That's because chemistry, or lack thereof. It's works on the backend too. Quincey-Smith just don't gel. Never have, probably never will.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
When I see Brendan Smith I see someone with the ceiling of Chris Chelios. And I am not alone in that assessment either, no one could say the same thing about Quincey who is at his peak. If the Wings trade Smitty it will be at their peril

So you think Smith has a top 10 defencemen of all time ceiling while being great defensively and mean?

Ok.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
So you think Smith has a top 10 defencemen of all time ceiling while being great defensively and mean?

Ok.

Yes I do. He has those elite skills, doesn't mean he'll get there but his ceiling is tremendous. Cheli was an offensive dynamo his first few years in the league but he learned from guys like Larry Robinson and Craig Ludwig to name a few.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
This is actually Kenny's grand scheme to get McDavid. He is such a wizard in free agency.

It's a terrible plan, unless he plans on taking a bat to Z/D/Nyquist/Howard/Tatar/Franzen/Kronwall's knees.

A worse team than what we have this year made it to the playoffs last year. A team that had Cleary/Sammy/Bert play significant numbers of games. A team that had key injuries all year. If they can make the playoffs, a roster with Nyquist/Tatar/Sheahan starting on it can also make the playoffs.

Which means no McDavid.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
A day later and the signing is just as bad. Actually, I think it's getting worse by the day.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The Quincey signing will only get worse. You can at least try to imagine him not being completely useless.

Those fantasies will be dead when the puck drops on opening night.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
If he puts up close to 30 points while being an even plus minus I will love this deal, but we are more looking at 15 points and crap play.

PureDust

Oct 28, 2013
SoCal
If he puts up close to 30 points while being an even plus minus I will love this deal, but we are more looking at 15 points and crap play.

If he puts up 30 Pts in bottom pairing minute, I'll be fine with this but we know none of that is will happen or possible

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Trying to find thread I started a couple months back about how Qunicey's improved play may mean he's resigned. Still shocked it happened.

Ugh.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1639225

No one thought he'd be back...granted, that was discussing if the trade was good, so not exactly, but you get the idea...

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kyle Quincey is not putting up 30 pts next year. He had 13 last year.

Not a chance in hell.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I never noticed KFQ grabbed his piece of the cheese. Must have missed that game. Winner here is DD agent

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
A day later and the signing is just as bad. Actually, I think it's getting worse by the day.

Amen. I thought it would lose its sting a bit after I slept on it, but it didn't. I was looking forward to never seeing him in a Wings uni again.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not arguing that this isn't a problem. I am arguing that it's not a problem because of Quincey, or even that Quincey just got re-signed. Given the guys available to Holland as currently signed players, or players he CAN sign, Quincey isn't the worst option.

Quincey isn't the source, but he's another cog in the Ken Holland machine that refuses to budge from mediocrity. Are we a better team than last season bringing back Quincey? I don't think so, and I think anyone would have a hard time making an argument for it outside of us being healthier - though that's applicable to any signing we make.

Are we better if we just promote Marchenko into that spot? Right away, probably not, but at least there is then potential. And we have preserved cap and roster space for future moves.

Is Quincey better than Kindl/Lashoff? Yes, but that's not saying a whole lot. Is his signing going to make a significant impact beyond what we would have with a prospect promoted into that spot? I don't think so. At that point, we may as well just go with the kid.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Quincey isn't the source, but he's another cog in the Ken Holland machine that refuses to budge from mediocrity. Are we a better team than last season bringing back Quincey? I don't think so, and I think anyone would have a hard time making an argument for it outside of us being healthier - though that's applicable to any signing we make.

Are we better if we just promote Marchenko into that spot? Right away, probably not, but at least there is then potential. And we have preserved cap and roster space for future moves.

Is Quincey better than Kindl/Lashoff? Yes, but that's not saying a whole lot. Is his signing going to make a significant impact beyond what we would have with a prospect promoted into that spot? I don't think so. At that point, we may as well just go with the kid.

signed.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
At this point, I think the only move that makes any sense is to get rid of one of Kindl or Lashoff and then bring up Marchenko (or Sproul, if he can show he's ready). The answer here has to be to go a different direction and play a kid. That's the way to turn this negative into a net positive, because these kids do have lots of potential. Stockpiling underachieving veterans on the lower pairings will prove to be a shortcut to Jack Eichel town. Although, now that I mention it, that doesn't sound so bad...

It might sound awesome to him to have 5 amazing defensemen in GR, but there just isn't enough ice. It's not good for somebody like Jensen to play 15 minutes on the 3rd pairing. and somebody like Marchenko doesn't have a lot to learn there, anyway. He's exactly the type who can learn on the job. That's what he had to do in the KHL, and he did a pretty good job of it then, too.

Plus, given the choice between Lashoff/Kindl and Marchenko, who shoots right, Babcock is going to pick Marchenko. So we don't have to worry about the guy being buried.

Why I think this could actually happen: they have Marchenko at the development camp. No other GR regular is going. I'm pretty sure the reason for that is to get him rehabbing his ankle very early on. The organization knows they need him ready to go for main camp. I don't think they'd push so hard if he was just going back to GR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad