Proposal: Quick to Calgary.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm trying to be realistic here. Quick is a luxury for Calgary not a necessity. LA would have to take back some long term salary. Neal matches Quick salary and term very well and Neal can still be productive. Maybe they'd give Jankowski or Bennett in the deal but the 1st goes away.

I get that what I put is not realistic from a flames POV but from a Kings it would be more valuable to find a trading partner where they do not have to take a longterm +30 contract back.

Reactions: go4hockey

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
The best return you can hope for by trading a goalie is a 1st rounder. You are right, they don't command a big package for some reason even though its one of the most important positions.

Correction: TWO first rounders!!!!!

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
As to value if they did acquire him, I think a 1st, Smith, and Neal going to the Kings would make the most sense and balance out the salaries.

Your miles off. A 1st and prospect is what it would take Kings have no use for Smith and no chance we take on Neal.

Reactions: YP44

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I'm trying to be realistic here. Quick is a luxury for Calgary not a necessity. LA would have to take back some long term salary. Neal matches Quick salary and term very well and Neal can still be productive. Maybe they'd give Jankowski or Bennett in the deal but the 1st goes away.

Quick is still useful and Neal is a bad contract, no chance the Kings take Neal period.

Reactions: deaderhead28

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Quick is still useful and Neal is a bad contract, no chance the Kings take Neal period.

Calgary is at the cap limit this year and needs to find $$$ for Tkachuk, Rittich, and Bennett next year. How can they take on Quick without giving salary back to the Kings...a lot of salary!

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Calgary is at the cap limit this year and needs to find $$$ for Tkachuk, Rittich, and Bennett next year. How can they take on Quick without giving salary back to the Kings...a lot of salary!
which is why these two teams likely do not come to terms on a deal. However one more area you are missing the flames need to find money for is a starter. Quick's cap hit of 5.5 will be 12 among starters next year and maybe even further down. Some think Rittich will be the guy in Calgary going into next year. We will have to wait and see, maybe Smith signs for less who knows.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Again that’s their problem. No chance the Kings take a 5 year cap dump. That’s a awful contract

quacktastic93

Dec 9, 2017
Ya I’d definitely pass. I always liked Quick but he’s 32 and has been far from healthy, the last few years. I’d probably do Smith/Neal + 1st but that’d be it. It’s not fair, but we can’t afford to risk acquiring a $6 million goalie, that may sit out half the time.
That offer is offensive, smith is trash and neal has like 3 goals for that cap

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
which is why these two teams likely do not come to terms on a deal. However one more area you are missing the flames need to find money for is a starter. Quick's cap hit of 5.5 will be 12 among starters next year and maybe even further down. Some think Rittich will be the guy in Calgary going into next year. We will have to wait and see, maybe Smith signs for less who knows.

Which was my point...the cap might prevent a trade unless a third team gets involved or a cap dump is involved. I think Calgary's preference would be to annoint Rittich as "the guy" as he is cost controlled and that allows them to find money for all their RFA's.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Your miles off. A 1st and prospect is what it would take Kings have no use for Smith and no chance we take on Neal.

Smith would be fine coming back. He’ll be UFA after the season so that’ll be coming off the books. Neal would only make sense for us if we find a place for Kovy.

Yeah if I was Kings GM you’d gotta get a prospect in their since flames 1st rounder will probably be one of the last 6 picks in the first round...

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Which is why it would be better to send him to Carolina

Maybe but I'm not sure a lottery team would give up their 1st for him. Doubt seriously that you could get Necas or Kukkonen either. But, of course, that is a different thread since this one was about Calgary.

quacktastic93

Dec 9, 2017
you've got to make the cap work in order for a deal to be made though.
Exactly you need the cap to work, smith and neal carry 10 mil in cap while quick carries a lil over 5 mil, so the kings not only get the crap end of the deal, they also add 5 mil in cap? Let alone i dont think kings have that space

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Exactly you need the cap to work, smith and neal carry 10 mil in cap while quick carries a lil over 5 mil, so the kings not only get the crap end of the deal, they also add 5 mil in cap? Let alone i dont think kings have that space

Capfriendly.com can be your friend and help prevent you from looking foolish. Smith's contract expires at the end of this year and then he becomes a UFA. Neal's carries on an additional 4 years which matches the term of Quick's contract. Can you find another player on Calgary that they would be willing to send to LA? Quick to Calgary will not work unless you do or there is a 3rd team involved.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Capfriendly.com can be your friend and help prevent you from looking foolish. Smith's contract expires at the end of this year and then he becomes a UFA. Neal's carries on an additional 4 years which matches the term of Quick's contract. Can you find another player on Calgary that they would be willing to send to LA? Quick to Calgary will not work unless you do or there is a 3rd team involved.

Kings would probably retain some money to avoid having to take Neal.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

That seems uncalled for. It was a shit trade for LA. If a team wants a player like Quick, they can also make room in other trades with other teams. LA shouldn't have to absorb a long term cap dump to move a player of Quicks caliber and reasonable cap hit. If for some reason LA chose to wear a long term cap dump as well, then they would need to be compensated for it.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
That seems uncalled for. It was a **** trade for LA. If a team wants a player like Quick, they can also make room in other trades with other teams. LA shouldn't have to absorb a long term cap dump to move a player of Quicks caliber and reasonable cap hit. If for some reason LA chose to wear a long term cap dump as well, then they would need to be compensated for it.

I don't consider Neal a long term cap dump any more than you would consider Carter one. They are both perennial 25+ goal scorers although Neal is almost 3 years younger. If the Kings are re-tooling then this trade makes some sense. Gives them a legitimate 1st line LW to play with Kopitar-Brown. Gives them a 1st round pick. Allows Peterson to become the #1 with Campbell backing him up.

Kings fans seem to be obsessed with a full rebuild. That is an insane position with Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown still on the team.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I don't consider Neal a long term cap dump any more than you would consider Carter one. They are both perennial 25+ goal scorers although Neal is almost 3 years younger. If the Kings are re-tooling then this trade makes some sense. Gives them a legitimate 1st line LW to play with Kopitar-Brown. Gives them a 1st round pick. Allows Peterson to become the #1 with Campbell backing him up.

Kings fans seem to be obsessed with a full rebuild. That is an insane position with Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown still on the team.

Ok a cap dump is probably too strong, however, Neal and his contract is not a player that I would chose to add to the team.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ok a cap dump is probably too strong, however, Neal and his contract is not a player that I would chose to add to the team.

Fair enough. Doesn't seem like there is a deal to be had unless a 3rd team is involved or Calgary is truly desperate (and I mean truly truly) for Quick. I don't think they are though.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Fair enough. Doesn't seem like there is a deal to be had unless a 3rd team is involved or Calgary is truly desperate (and I mean truly truly) for Quick. I don't think they are though.

I doubt that they are, they still have room to grow together, Gio seems about the only one that is really getting up there in years. If they can solve the net then they should be a lock for the playoffs for a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad