Proposal: Quick to Calgary.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
So are we trading our assets for a starting goaltender for the next 4 years, or for his trophy case?

Nobody's arguing that Quick wasn't an elite goalie in the league for a long time. We're arguing that we don't want a broken down tendy with an anchor of a salary, at the cost of our draft picks and top prospects. If we wanted that, we'd go after Price. Simple as that.

Oh my goodness I'm not even going to answer that first question.

He's still elite though. Last reasons regular/playoffs stats back that up. We are going to have to agree to disagree on the broken down/anchor of a salary. Did a mention multiple prospects ? I'm not even saying you'd need to include your top two prospects.

Bahaha so Quick @ $5.8 for 4 more years is an anchor of a salary but Price's $10.5M for 7 more years isn't ? hahahahaha.

Reactions: go4hockey

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
2oczsd.jpg

Reactions: Ainsy01

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
True but he also had a very small sample size of games played. 25 games in 2011, 33 games in 2012, and 30 games in 2013. 88 games over three seasons. Stats were very good but you'd still consider that "unproven" as a young goaltender but you could definitely see the potential.

All I'm saying is Quick is proven, a two time stanley cup champion, 2012 + 2016 Vezina nominee, 2012 Conn Smythe trophy winner, and 2014 + 2018 Jennings trophy winner. He's worth more than a late 1st round pick and the Flames... maybe 5th best prospect ? (Kylington). Don't know the Flames prospects very well but that's what it seems like based off what I can find.

Well really he has Valimaki and Andersson above him, and they both have played in more than half of our games this season and have graduated, maybe Valimaki gets sent down for conditioning but probably not, they have made a decent 3rd line together in the big league, Andersson played okay on the top pair but that's too much pressure in the coaches opinion, Kylington is oroproba our 3rd best prospect, but have you seen our blueline? Kinda hard to crack it.
I would do 1st(top 5 protected, push to next year) + Kylington + Gillies\Macdonald + Smith(UFA/in for cap)

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Well really he has Valimaki and Andersson above him, and they both have played in more than half of our games this season and have graduated, maybe Valimaki gets sent down for conditioning but probably not, they have made a decent 3rd line together in the big league, Andersson played okay on the top pair but that's too much pressure in the coaches opinion, Kylington is oroproba our 3rd best prospect, but have you seen our blueline? Kinda hard to crack it.
I would do 1st(top 5 protected, push to next year) + Kylington + Gillies\Macdonald + Smith(UFA/in for cap)

I would assume the only way Quick ends traded to a team within the division is if the offer is too good to pass up. I guess we'll see how Quick plays between now and the deadline. Moving Quick might have to wait until after the season ends.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
Looks like LA needs to go into a rebuild and the Flames need a proven playoff performing goalie. Could these two potentially hook up in a trade involving Quick? Quick might look at it as a chance to win for the next few years. Thoughts on what it might take to get it done?

Keep it simple. Just give us a pick.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I would assume the only way Quick ends traded to a team within the division is if the offer is too good to pass up. I guess we'll see how Quick plays between now and the deadline. Moving Quick might have to wait until after the season ends.

The thing is, if LA really wants to do a rehuilr/retool it will take between 1-3 years (retool) or 3+ years for the rebuild, so whether they trade him in or out of the division shouldn't matter much, and it's not like Quick will be the fallen savior for us, like I said in the post you replied to, I would offer Kylington who has top 4 potential, a G prosopro not named Rittich, our 1st only being top 5 protected in case of a collapse, and Smith's 4.1M for this season, you didn't even have a new proposal, and not like you added amythany new to this thread. I would rather go after Bob or Varly

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Do people forget that Smith was great for us to before his injury last year. Now we're taking on a second struggling goaltender coming off an injury... Except Quick also has a massive contract. I get the sentimental attachment to Quick and it's well deserved, but the Flames aren't taking on that contract.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Quick is coming off of a Jennings trophy and a year with a career best SV%. Also if you watched the Vegas series (closer than a sweep would suggest) he was lights out. Since his injury he is 1-1 with a shutout.

Injury risk is real with quick but he is far from cooked.
.943 since coming back from injury but that doesnt really fit the "Quick is cooked" narrative . granted, thats not a huge sample size but neither is counting the 8 games he started before that

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
For now at least Smith appears to have his mojo back so no point in a deal for Calgary. Acquiring Quick would be a bit of a gamble anyway, hoping he could return to form.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
This is one that is feeling even more less needed. Smith *seems* to be finding his groove again, which makes such a move less needed. See if it sticks though.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
This is one that is feeling even more less needed. Smith *seems* to be finding his groove again, which makes such a move less needed. See if it sticks though.

I agree. Flames seem doing fine with the current duo... plus if we move Quick, I really want him out of the western conference haha.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I agree. Flames seem doing fine with the current duo... plus if we move Quick, I really want him out of the western conference haha.
Get the best deal you can, regardless of conference. Not like it matters right now anyway. If anything, it'll help secure a higher pick for LA.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Quick to Calgary really depends on how the Flames view Rittich. Calgary is just entering their window and they look to have a 3-5 year horizon ahead of them where they can compete for the SC. If they think Rittich can get them there they go with him. If not, Quick is an option but a risky one because of the style that he plays. For me, I'd rather have a technical position style G if I were acquiring someone approaching their mid-30s. Quick is very much reflex based and looks like elasto-man out there many times. Reflexes slowing down and the injuries that can result from that style of play would be a concern for me if I were Calgary.

As to value if they did acquire him, I think a 1st, Smith, and Neal going to the Kings would make the most sense and balance out the salaries.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Quick to Calgary really depends on how the Flames view Rittich. Calgary is just entering their window and they look to have a 3-5 year horizon ahead of them where they can compete for the SC. If they think Rittich can get them there they go with him. If not, Quick is an option but a risky one because of the style that he plays. For me, I'd rather have a technical position style G if I were acquiring someone approaching their mid-30s. Quick is very much reflex based and looks like elasto-man out there many times. Reflexes slowing down and the injuries that can result from that style of play would be a concern for me if I were Calgary.

As to value if they did acquire him, I think a 1st, Smith, and Neal going to the Kings would make the most sense and balance out the salaries.

If Kings trade Quick, it’s most likely because they’re going full rebuild. No reason to take Neal back for another 4 years left on his deal unless they think he could be flipped at the trade deadline.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If Kings trade Quick, it’s most likely because they’re going full rebuild. No reason to take Neal back for another 4 years left on his deal unless they think he could be flipped at the trade deadline.

Yes, except I don't think the Kings can do a full rebuild with Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty still on the team. It is a retool and it assumes that Peterson is as good as his 2 weeks in the NHL showed. Neal gives Kopitar a legitimate trigger man on the wing. The 1st is for the future.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
only way I take Neal back is if he comes with Bennett a first and Jankowski. So basically a whole line haha

Reactions: go4hockey

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
only way I take Neal back is if he comes with Bennett a first and Jankowski. So basically a whole line haha

I'm trying to be realistic here. Quick is a luxury for Calgary not a necessity. LA would have to take back some long term salary. Neal matches Quick salary and term very well and Neal can still be productive. Maybe they'd give Jankowski or Bennett in the deal but the 1st goes away.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Yes, except I don't think the Kings can do a full rebuild with Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty still on the team. It is a retool and it assumes that Peterson is as good as his 2 weeks in the NHL showed. Neal gives Kopitar a legitimate trigger man on the wing. The 1st is for the future.

I guess that makes sense if the Kings aren’t going into rebuild mode. That being said, we wouldn’t have the cap space to add Neal + Smith. We’d have to move out Kovalchuk or one of Muzzin/Martinez + another piece. Plus Doughty is getting a $4M raise starting next season.

I’m hoping for a rebuild tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad