Quick question - Filatov

Spotlight

Aug 25, 2005
Just a quick question...

Sorry i'm sure i could search through allt he threads here but i figured it would be easier to just ask.

Does Ottawa still hold the rights to Filatov? was he tendered an RFA offer meaning that we would still own his rights?

thanks.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If he wants to come back to NA and play, he has to go through Ottawa.

I asked Murray if we will ever see him again, his response, "Filatov? Isn't he making too much money in Russia?"

So, yeah, that pretty much seals it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If he wants to come back to NA and play, he has to go through Ottawa.

I asked Murray if we will ever see him again, his response, "Filatov? Isn't he making too much money in Russia?"

So, yeah, that pretty much seals it.

Is this an actual quote. Not to question your integrity I just couldn't tell

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Unpopular opinion: I'd like to see him back. I think he still has the potential to be a decent NHLer.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Unpopular opinion: I'd like to see him back. I think he still has the potential to be a decent NHLer.

I can agree with this. He's still a lot younger then a lot of players when they entered the league.

It feels like he's older because he's been around for so long.he's played in the ahl for 3 seasons 08-09,10-11,and 11-12. He's played in the nhl for 4 seasons 08-09,09-10,10-11,and 11-12 but he's only 23

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I can agree with this. He's still a lot younger then a lot of players when they entered the league.

It feels like he's older because he's been around for so long.he's played in the ahl for 3 seasons 08-09,10-11,and 11-12. He's played in the nhl for 4 seasons 08-09,09-10,10-11,and 11-12 but he's only 23

I agree as well. If he can bulk up...his numbers on hockeydb are very wrong - 190 pounds, while on the KHL website he's 171. If he got around 6"0' 185-190 he would be physically ready for the league.

Added muscle + the maturity that comes with growing older (or at least I think that happens haha...I'm the same age as him) could make him into a pretty good player.

He can make a couple million in the KHL and come back in another couple years when he's financially stable. I mean it's better than having Greening, Condra or even Smith in the top 6.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

If he was willing to put the WORK into being a decent NHLer, I'd welcome him back with open arms. I have nothing against the guy, he seems like a nice enough dude from all accounts.

Now... do I think that is going to happen? Nope. I think he'll be happy enough earning a nice paycheque in the KHL, close to home & his family, and not needing to put in the extra work (physically) that it would take to become a top-6er in the NHL. He'll be set for life even if he never plays another NHL game. And there's nothing wrong with that, either. I mean, my family decided to move to Indonesia because of the big payday that came along with transplanting our family halfway around the world... but if someone offered us even 80% of what we're making here in Indonesia in order to move back to Canada, you'd better believe we'd be packed and ready to head home in a nano-second. I totally get it.

Whatever choices Filatov makes with his career, either to return to N.A. or to stay home, I totally understand both of those decisions. They'll both work out for Filatov in the end financially.

Last edited:

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
If this is actual quote (i dont think so), then BM must be joking or something.
"Filatov? Isn't he making too much money in Russia?"

I understand if he said "Filatov? Isn't he making more money in Russia?", but "too much" ? I dont think he even knows, how much money Filatov makes.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
The guy was explosive as a junior aged player. He had NHL speed, and hands as an 18 year old.

Problem was, he never developed an NHL build. He played tentative in the defensive zone when his assignment was to wait almost stationary for the breakout pass. Either couldn't, or was simply afraid of, taking that hit.

I watched virtually every one of his ice times in Ottawa live. He was adequate in every other situation, especially on the rush and in back pressure situations. He simply heard footsteps and struggled to execute that 'MacArthur'-like breakout pass from the wall.

If there's one thing coaches hate, it's an inability to effectively maintain possession while executing a breakout.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If this is actual quote (i dont think so), then BM must be joking or something.
"Filatov? Isn't he making too much money in Russia?"

I understand if he said "Filatov? Isn't he making more money in Russia?", but "too much" ? I dont think he even knows, how much money Filatov makes.

That is verbatim what BM said to me. Was he joking? Maybe, Paul MacLean did chuckle after he said it. Or he could have been chuckling at his lisp.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If he was willing to put the WORK into being a decent NHLer, I'd welcome him back with open arms. I have nothing against the guy, he seems like a nice enough dude from all accounts.

Now... do I think that is going to happen? Nope. I think he'll be happy enough earning a nice paycheque in the KHL, close to home & his family, and not needing to put in the extra work (physically) that it would take to become a top-6er in the NHL. He'll be set for life even if he never plays another NHL game. And there's nothing wrong with that, either. I mean, my family decided to move to Indonesia because of the big payday that came along with transplanting our family halfway around the world... but if someone offered us even 80% of what we're making here in Indonesia in order to move back to Canada, you'd better believe we'd be packed and ready to head home in a nano-second. I totally get it.

Whatever choices Filatov makes with his career, either to return to N.A. or to stay home, I totally understand both of those decisions. They'll both work out for Filatov in the end financially.

Well he did have that interview where he was annoyed with the reporter for basically asking him " do you wan to come back to the NHL"... He essentially said (Paraphrasing) "obviously I want to come back and play in the NHL, its the best hockey league in the world, that's a stupid question" he also said it was mosly his fault for not having success in Ottawa, but he thought for the ice time that he played he felt he created chances but overall he had a good relationship with murray and maclean

Spotlight

Aug 25, 2005

I agree as well. If he can bulk up...his numbers on hockeydb are very wrong - 190 pounds, while on the KHL website he's 171. If he got around 6"0' 185-190 he would be physically ready for the league.

Added muscle + the maturity that comes with growing older (or at least I think that happens haha...I'm the same age as him) could make him into a pretty good player.

He can make a couple million in the KHL and come back in another couple years when he's financially stable. I mean it's better than having Greening, Condra or even Smith in the top 6.

Brahs, he's coming back next year.

Well he did have that interview where he was annoyed with the reporter for basically asking him " do you wan to come back to the NHL"... He essentially said (Paraphrasing) "obviously I want to come back and play in the NHL, its the best hockey league in the world, that's a stupid question" he also said it was mosly his fault for not having success in Ottawa, but he thought for the ice time that he played he felt he created chances but overall he had a good relationship with murray and maclean

so yes this is in part why i was asking.. yes it's very unpopular it seems .. but i also am of the opinion that i would like to see him back and given another shot.. does he need to work on things absolutely but does nayone deny his talent absolutely not and fact is we hold his rights so why shouldn't we try (again) to get the potential out of him.

Many young prospects are "projects" he's not perfect (mostly with his attutude, work ethic) but those things can be changed.

We gave much longer tryouts with the big team to guys like regin, shastlivy just to name 2 that come to mind .. we also are sticking around with condra, greening and there's been others in their mold in the past.. and i obviously know the difference with these players is that they bring defensive reliability and can be used on the pk etc... but we have lots of guys on the team and in BNG that can fill roles like that ..

He brings a lot of intangaebles that are worth exploring .. i'm also kinda relieved to see the quote of him saying he had an overall good relationship with murray and maclean.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
so yes this is in part why i was asking.. yes it's very unpopular it seems .. but i also am of the opinion that i would like to see him back and given another shot.. does he need to work on things absolutely but does nayone deny his talent absolutely not and fact is we hold his rights so why shouldn't we try (again) to get the potential out of him.

Many young prospects are "projects" he's not perfect (mostly with his attutude, work ethic) but those things can be changed.

We gave much longer tryouts with the big team to guys like regin, shastlivy just to name 2 that come to mind .. we also are sticking around with condra, greening and there's been others in their mold in the past.. and i obviously know the difference with these players is that they bring defensive reliability and can be used on the pk etc... but we have lots of guys on the team and in BNG that can fill roles like that ..

He brings a lot of intangaebles that are worth exploring .. i'm also kinda relieved to see the quote of him saying he had an overall good relationship with murray and maclean.

Both players you mentioned had some success in Ottawa, even if it was flash-in-the-pan success. Schastlivy had 19 points in 33 games in 2002-03. Regin had that monstrous playoff series against Pittsburgh.

Filatov, meanwhile, had one assist in nine games with Ottawa. That's more in line with Kaigorodov (one assist, six games) and Roman Wick (no points, seven games).

That being said, I agree with your point: it would have been nice to see Filatov get more of a chance here. A player with his pedigree being put aside so early makes you wonder.

Spotlight

Aug 25, 2005
Both players you mentioned had some success in Ottawa, even if it was flash-in-the-pan success. Schastlivy had 19 points in 33 games in 2002-03. Regin had that monstrous playoff series against Pittsburgh.

Filatov, meanwhile, had one assist in nine games with Ottawa. That's more in line with Kaigorodov (one assist, six games) and Roman Wick (no points, seven games).

That being said, I agree with your point: it would have been nice to see Filatov get more of a chance here. A player with his pedigree being put aside so early makes you wonder.

Well yes i obviously know that he had only 1 point in 9 games .. but he just had those 9 games with us .. Schastivy had those 33 games and even 43 games the next season before teh Sens decided to cut ties.. Regin even more ..

I'm not saying you disagree because you said that you somwehat agreed i'm just pointing out the amount of games the others were given before The Sens made a decision .. whereas Filatov was given 9 with us and his huge amount of talent was given up on seemingly (although we retained his rights) so i'm hoping that it's justa matter of giving him the added time he needs to develop mentally and mature from being ok to leave home etc... and that he's brought back and given another chance and not on the fourth line .. i'd even rather him spend the season in the press box if it gives him and maclean the time to work on the areas he needs to improve on.

I just have a hard time seeing the talent being wasted (as far as not palying in the nhl)

i guess i just love projects and i think he's still a diamond in the rough haha but i wouldn't give up on him become something special.

Mental toughness can be changed over time lots of players have done it .. there are lots of sports mental coaches out there have the Sens even given that option a look .. because once you fix his mental (work ethic/attitude) the rest is coacheable (defensive awareness) not saying he would ever be a selke nominee but his offenssive flair would still be there and ready to roll.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Where would he fit in our LW depth chart?

MacArthur :)
Michalek <- might not be here next year, can play both wings, but has become a 3rd liner at best
Greening <- should really be on the 4th line at best
Conacher <- not a fan
Kassian :( <- should be playing in Toronto
Hoffman <- why is he not in Ottawa again, given who's above him on the current depth chart?
Puempel
Prince
Schneider

He's probably more or less where Hoffman is, no?

Spotlight

Aug 25, 2005
Where would he fit in our LW depth chart?

MacArthur :)
Michalek <- might not be here next year, can play both wings, but has become a 3rd liner at best
Greening <- should really be on the 4th line at best
Conacher <- not a fan
Kassian :( <- should be playing in Toronto
Hoffman <- why is he not in Ottawa again, given who's above him on the current depth chart?
Puempel
Prince
Schneider

He's probably more or less where Hoffman is, no?

If playing to his true potential he should be where Michalek is ... his skill elvel is top 6 .. for him to play anywhere else is useless.

As far as skillset he's ahead of all of them from the offense point of view

John Holmes*

Assuming Michalek gets gone, I'd say Filatov would be #2 after MacArthur.

He should have stuck around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad