Questions going forward into 14-15 season?

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
In the eyes of many Blues fans, the offseason can be called a success (at least thus far). Stillman, Armstrong and co. made it clear that they intend on doing what they can to put this franchise in a position to win with a great draft and a successful free agency period. Now, instead of glaring needs or outright holes in the lineup, we're left with questions about the upcoming season.

Feel free to add on, but here are a few off the top of my head:

1) Will the Elliott/Allen tandem provide enough solid/stable goaltending for this team?

2) Will Stastny provide enough additional offense to put this team over the hump?

3) Can our defensive corps stand up against the onslaught of the big-bodied, Pacific division juggernauts (as well as the Bryan Bickell's of the world)?

4) Will our powerplay over come it's woes?

5) Will Hitchcock finally adjust his approach and loosen up the reins a little bit on his team with all the talent assembled?

6) Most importantly, how far can this team go?/Can this team finally get out of the first round and over the western conference hump into the Stanley cup finals?

These are a few of the pressing questions going forward, but what other questions are there as it pertains to the '14-15, St. Louis Blues?

Last edited:

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
To me the questions are much more basic.

Can Tarasenko and Schwartz take the next step into 70 point players?

Is Gunnarsons hip at 100%?

Can Lehtera be the top 6 center we want him to be?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Good list. Additional question, some along the same lines. Some are not really significant but interesting

1. Can we sign Schwartz and Sobotka and stay under the cap?
1b. If not, who do we move?
2. If the cap doesn't go up significantly, will we have the space for Tank next year?
3. Can we find time and space for our young guys (Jaskin and Paajarvi) to develop?
4. Will Cole make use the opportunity he should be given and prove us right about his potential?
5. How will the Europeans fair in the NHL?
6. Will the Blues new head of business operations and the exciting new players be able to sell more tickets and generate more revenue?
7. Will our hearts be able to take the eventual, soul-sucking disappointment when they lose in the first round that comes with being a Blues fan?

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Question #7 above is probably a more "Blues-fan"-esque take on my last question in the OP, but at the same time, I can't blame you for thinking that way. These are the Blues after all. :laugh:

EDIT: LOL at the questions below too.
k66Zaov.gif

Last edited:

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
1) In what terrible but darkly amusing way can Pietrangelo/Stastny/Tarasenko/etc. injure themselves thus decreasing their usefulness and increasing casual fan ire.

2) Which team gives the biggest offer sheet for Schwartz?

3) How many times will I have to hear that (insert player name) wouldn't be injured right now if the Polak door was still open instead of that candy butt Gunnarsson?

3A) How many times will I hear we should've traded Jackman instead of Polak?

4) Will my wish than an asteroid hits the next Kings-Hawks game ever come true?

Last edited by a moderator:

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Oh, so every Blues fan. Why do we root for a team that gives us so many reasons to curse?

Divine punishment is what I have down. Still working off Karma in a previous life.
All I know is if I knew which deity I upset I would more than graciously apologize.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
From most important to least important:

#1: Is Allen ready/good enough to be our starting goaltender now and can he be solid/consistent (something we've been without for a while)?
#2: We have a very good defensive core, but is it tough/physical enough to shut down certain players/teams?
#3: Can we make a deep playoff run? Will anyone turn heads? Tarasenko? Stastny? Pietrangelo? Allen?
#4: Can Lehtera be an effective 2nd line center and keep up with the rapidly improving Schwartz, Tarasenko, and others?
#5: Can we sign Schwartz and Sobotka and stay under the cap? If not, who will we have to move and how will that affect our team?
#6: The central division just got a whole lot tougher, can we continue our outstanding record against it like we did last year (minus the last 9 games of the season)?
#7: Can Gunnarrson/Shattenkirk become a tandem similar to Pietrangelo/Bouwmeester?
#8: New uniforms?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Most important to least important:

1. New Uniforms?
2. Jersey numbers for Jaskin, Lehtara, and Gunnarsson?

Ok in all seriousness,

1. Is Jake Allen and Brian Elliott enough in net?
2. Can Jori Lehtara be effective? Enough that it allows us to keep Backes on the wing with Stastny?
3. Is there enough grit on this team to survive in the Western Conference?
4. What can we expect from Paul Stastny? 70 points? 75?
5. Is Gunnarsson healthy enough to be a full time contributor?
6. Can Ian Cole finally lock down a full time spot on the right side?
7. Are Jaden Schwartz, Vladimir Tarasenko, and Dmitrij Jaskin ready to take the next step?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Goaltending and the potential softness of our defense are my biggest concerns.

I'm not concerned about goaltending per se, as I like Allen and Elliott. It's just a question if they can get it done.

I am concerned about the lack of grit on the blueline though.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
We're trading Backes? I know I said I don't want him at wing, but damn....

If you're joking: Hahahah! :laugh:

If you're serious: With such little faith in the Blues, you should stop using "we" when talking about them. I don't consider anyone who doesn't believe we can win it all to even be a fan.

I couldn't tell if you were serious or just making a joke, so I made two replies. Whichever it was, just completely ignore the other reply.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If you're joking: Hahahah! :laugh:

If you're serious: With such little faith in the Blues, you should stop using "we" when talking about them. I don't consider anyone who doesn't believe we can win it all to even be a fan.

I couldn't tell if you were serious or just making a joke, so I made two replies. Whichever it was, just completely ignore the other reply.

First, I am joking. Second, I completely disagree with the fact that you have to believe your team can win a cup to be a fan. I think we have a shot. But you cannot ignore the difficulty of the conference, especially our division, and the Blues playoff history. So while I joke about our playoff failures (laugh to keep from crying), the jokes are based on the reality of the past. I am a huge fan and would not say we are the odds on favorite to win. The Kings and Hawks are. That is just realism.

Fans who separate themselves from reality are homers and are the most annoying type of fan around. Are you really saying that Buffalo Sabres fans or Ottawa Senators fan have to believe they are going to win a Cup soon to be considered a fan? If that is the case, all of their "fans" live in mental hospitals, cause that is just nuts.

So yes, I was joking. But as the saying goes, its funny because its true....at least somewhat.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Oh, so every Blues fan. Why do we root for a team that gives us so many reasons to curse?

All I know is, I actually tried to become a fan of a couple other teams this season, at a real low point for me after their elimination.

But it wasn't organic, you can't make yourself be a fan of a team. And I came right back, like a dude who keeps going back to his **** of a girlfriend, even though she keeps banging all his friends when he's at work, or getting milk and bread from the store.

So here I still am, excited gain for next season, and chomping at the bit for October.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
First, I am joking. Second, I completely disagree with the fact that you have to believe your team can win a cup to be a fan. I think we have a shot.
Then you are a fan.

But you cannot ignore the difficulty of the conference, especially our division, and the Blues playoff history. So while I joke about our playoff failures (laugh to keep from crying), the jokes are based on the reality of the past.
Last year, the Blues record against the central division was 21-6-2. 5 of those 8 losses were in the last 9 games of the season. That is the reality of the past. We should worry more about California teams rather than central division teams.

I am a huge fan and would not say we are the odds on favorite to win. The Kings and Hawks are. That is just realism.
You can name favorites to win all day, but a hockey fan such as yourself should know that that means absolutely nothing when it comes to the playoffs.

Fans who separate themselves from reality are homers and are the most annoying type of fan around. Are you really saying that Buffalo Sabres fans or Ottawa Senators fan have to believe they are going to win a Cup soon to be considered a fan? If that is the case, all of their "fans" live in mental hospitals, cause that is just nuts.
Yeah, they are called crazy until their team actually wins. Anyone who thought that the Kings were going to win the Cup in 2012 before the playoffs started was a lunatic. Look where they are now.

Also, I was specifically talking about the Blues when I said that.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
It is so cute when new fans attempt to dictate what does and does not make a fan.

See, I would think my yearly expenditure for season tickets, as well as having my business buy advertisement as well as one of the suites would make me a fan. Not to mention a frankly ridiculous number of jerseys and memorabilia and an almost insane devotion to the team.

However, thankfully you have come along and clarified my delusions and I am now being informed that if I do not believe the Blues can win a cup this year, I am simply not a fan of the team.
Interesting.

So can I continue to spend money on the Blues, or do I have to go find another team who I think might win the cup this year (or any year really) and support them instead? And if so what do I do with the the aforementioned memorabilia and season tickets? Do I have to find someone on the street completely disconnected from the Blues past and give them the tickets and jerseys, etc.?

I am awaiting clarification with bated breath and as such I'll just go ahead and hang up and listen.

Thanks.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
So, when virtually ALL of us Blues fans in 2005-2006 did not think we could win The Stanley Cup that season, especially after we were eliminated from The Playoffs, we were NOTfans of The St. Louis Blues? I think we need a new definition of what a "fan" is?

What about all those people who came to Sportsman's Park to see The St. Louis Browns from 1930-1940, when they had less chance of finishing 6th in an 8-team league, than The Yankees did of winning The World series each year? They weren't Browns fans???

Being realistic, and hoping for the best, doesn't make one less of a fan that keeps saying his/her team will win The Stanley Cup in a rebuilding year.

The Blues are a very solid team. Should they be the odds on favourite to win The Stanley Cup this season? No.

L.A., and Chicago should be rated ahead. The Blues are in a group of teams just below those 2, also including Anaheim, San Jose, Colorado and Boston. Then, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Dallas, New York Rangers should be slightly below those.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
There are still a couple of big question marks heading into the new season. Is the team’s defense physical enough? NO. And what happens if the Brian Elliott – Jake Allen experiment fails? I'm not a big supporter of Elliott, he's not a true workhorse #1 Goalie.

Depending on who you ask, the Elliott-Allen combo is either an awesome duo or perhaps one that makes you a little nervous. Personally, I fall into the nervous category. Elliott can be simply outstanding. Allen has a very high ceiling. The problem lies in the fact Elliott can look a bit nervy when he’s the focal point in net and Allen still only has 15 NHL games under his belt. My biggest concern surrounds an injury. Should one goaltender go down, the pressure is on the other to step up and carry the team. The Blues really don’t have a third option that they’d be comfortable calling on should things turn ugly.

The other looming question is on defense. The Blues found a left-handed defenseman to play with Kevin Shattenkirk in Carl Gunnarsson, but there’s one issue with the defensive group – physicality. I’ve talked about it before and borrowed the term “people-moving defensemen†in the past, but it’s a bit worrisome that all these men rely so heavily on their work with the stick. As we’ve seen in the playoffs, sometimes a bit of size and strength goes a long way behind your own net. At times, the Blues couldn’t cope with the larger forwards in the NHL and were pushed around in their own zone.

Will another trade be made defensively? It would be more then welcome IMO Jordan Leopold and Ian Cole were rumored to be on the block prior to the Polak trade and it’s not too much of a stretch to think they still might be now, but the return in any such trade would be a lateral move, and wouldn't make much of a difference. I still think the Blues need a bigger, more physical presence on defense and that this current group relies a bit too heavily on knocking the puck away as opposed to knocking the opposing player over. However, the Cap situation doesn't leave much wiggle room for a incremental improvement on D.

In closing, with only 6 Million left for the Blues to be up against this upcoming season 69 Million cap and Sobotka and Schwartz still left to sign, someone has to go in a trade for cap relief all signs point to Berglund still being moved.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'd like to see Leopold and MPS traded for a solid, young, (low cost) tough, physical defenceman, with good upside, who can alternate with Jackman and Cole on the 3rd pairing, and provide depth in case of injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad