Questions for Norwegians regarding fandom

Hypno Toad

Mar 26, 2011
Northern Minnesota
Hello. I am a Norwegian-American and have some questions for the Norwegians! This may be random, and if so I'm sorry, but if you can help then please do!

1.) What seems to be the most popular NHL team in Norway when it comes to fandom? I have family there who like Minnesota as it's heavily Norwegian and where a lot of their family members moved to.

2.) Do you Norwegians root for your fellow Scandinavians? I know there seems to be a rivalry between Norway and Sweden for things, but you have that rivalry while maintaining a closer relationship in things (as opposed to America and Canada lol). If Norway gets eliminated from a tournament then are you cheering for Sweden or Denmark? You can answer for you and/or how most Norwegians are.

3.) A continuation of question 2, but since there isn't many Norwegian players to root for in the NHL, do you root for Swedes or Danes? Again, you can answer for you and/or how most Norwegians are.

Thanks for answering my questions!

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
Hello. I am a Norwegian-American and have some questions for the Norwegians! This may be random, and if so I'm sorry, but if you can help then please do!

1.) What seems to be the most popular NHL team in Norway when it comes to fandom? I have family there who like Minnesota as it's heavily Norwegian and where a lot of their family members moved to.

2.) Do you Norwegians root for your fellow Scandinavians? I know there seems to be a rivalry between Norway and Sweden for things, but you have that rivalry while maintaining a closer relationship in things (as opposed to America and Canada lol). If Norway gets eliminated from a tournament then are you cheering for Sweden or Denmark? You can answer for you and/or how most Norwegians are.

3.) A continuation of question 2, but since there isn't many Norwegian players to root for in the NHL, do you root for Swedes or Danes? Again, you can answer for you and/or how most Norwegians are.

1. Right now I would think that for the occasional fan it`s the Rangers because of Zuccarello. There are not many die-hard NHL fans or even hockey fans in Norway but the most popular teams are probably Pens, Rangers, Red Wings in that order.

2. I can`t answer for all Norwegians but I do. I would think that most hockey fans iin Norway "hate" Denmark when we play them in the WC, but other than that we can relate to them with being a small hockey nation and everything and sort of root for the Danes to do well. Sweden has had such a huge impact on Norwegian hockey (everyone who has ever played the game here has had at least one Swedish coach at some time) that you sort of root for the swedish guys in the NHL, but if I had to chose between Sweden and Denmark I would go for Denmark.

4: Mats Zuccarello is starting to become very popular and is showing up on Tv comercials and is in the papers and sports news like evry day now so he is becoming a star in Norway like Espen Knutsen was only bigger because the access to NHL games is a lot better now.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
1. Right now I would think that for the occasional fan it`s the Rangers because of Zuccarello. There are not many die-hard NHL fans or even hockey fans in Norway but the most popular teams are probably Pens, Rangers, Red Wings in that order.

2. I can`t answer for all Norwegians but I do. I would think that most hockey fans iin Norway "hate" Denmark when we play them in the WC, but other than that we can relate to them with being a small hockey nation and everything and sort of root for the Danes to do well. Sweden has had such a huge impact on Norwegian hockey (everyone who has ever played the game here has had at least one Swedish coach at some time) that you sort of root for the swedish guys in the NHL, but if I had to chose between Sweden and Denmark I would go for Denmark.

4: Mats Zuccarello is starting to become very popular and is showing up on Tv comercials and is in the papers and sports news like evry day now so he is becoming a star in Norway like Espen Knutsen was only bigger because the access to NHL games is a lot better now.

I am Canadian/Danish, moved to Denmark in 09. And I have to say I thought Denmark and Sweden hated each other. But I was quite suprised to see how negative Norwegians perceive danes and it almost seems like they hate danes when they play. Ive honestly never heard a norwegian cheer for Denmark or say anything Nice. I remember reading in here in 2003 When Denmark moved up to the a group, a bunch of Norwgians were like, tss whatever we don't care about Denmark.

Some actually wrote, I hope they go back down, they don't belong in wintersports.

Im not trying to start anything, or stating that this is the full truth, im just telling how ive perceived things and the media's reactions.

I haven't lived in Denmark long enough to form a personal opinion, and I do know about the whole "Fjeldabe" comment a few years back, that was taken a bit to serious by Norwegians.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I would say that mostly Norwegians and Danes really get on very well together and cheer for each other to do well. Except off course when we meet, then you have all kind of teasing (About Fjeldaber or Danes not belonging in wintersport since they got injured just looking at a skiing slop etc). It's generally meant more as an inside joke between us, but I guess a few people actually takes it seriously.
But you can find rotten eggs in any basket.
I always cheer for Norway in sports, but I also love when Denmark beats them :D
and it's always a great laugh to hear norwegian commentators when Norway wins something.
Norway beat England in Football 1981....and Bjørge Lillelien goes amok:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtbZWIcj0bk

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
1. Think Rangers by far right now due to Zuccarello, but think Colombus due to Knutsen, and the original six + Flyers and Pens are pretty popular. Jugding from the number of posts at this site: VGD Flyers and Rangers are hot. Islanders not. http://vgd.no/sport/ishockey

2.) Swedes are pretty good at rooting for Norwegians and Danes in sports. Funny to hear Swedish commentator vs Norwegian, as the Swedes sounds like a weatherforecast compared to the Norwegian plain moronic madness. The latter years things have maybe changed a bit and the tone vs the Swedes have hardened a bit, and same vs the Danes. We have a skiing hillbilly called Northug that keeps teasing the Swedes and jepordizing their neutrality, while Norwegians vs the Danes it has mostly been about football and a bit handball, and the tone has been getting a bit fierce both ways I think. As to hockey, I must admit nothing annoys me more than when Danes beat us. It's just that I love hockey, and we are a wintersportnation and the Danes are not, and it feels very annoying that they beat us in the sport I love with half the players. Doesn't go beyond that. The Swedes will always be better than us, so very much like it when they win. Would also love for the Danes to come in 2nd to Norway at the worlds at one point.

3) As to the media, if they even slightly refects the public interest in sports, Norwegians don't follow the Swedes or Danes in the NHL at all. Think the Swedes follow the Norwegian and Danes in the NHL, as most of them has been playing in Sweden. Personally I don't especially follow the Swedes as they are plentiful, but pay some envious attention to the Danes.

4) Zuccarello the biggest media star, while Patrick Thoresen at St Petersburg probably still have the most impressive career and the biggest star for People that follow hockey. Why no NHL team offered him something very good is beyond me.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
What an excellent topic and thread! :) May I suggest something? I was curious that football (soccer for North Americans) is probably more popular so it might be interesting to contrast the same thing? When Norway plays Denmark and when one team is 'out' or advances, who cheers for the other and how common is that?

It might transfer over to hockey, but I dunno.

I think it would be cooler if hockey became the #1 sport there but I suppose because hockey is more expensive to play and football is more a universal/international game?

Personally, I have no interest in the other sports other than hockey (any form of hockey - whether to watch or play). Also, it's probable that hockey isn't #1 there because the media and sports stations hype up football. There's a tradition and history of various contests and teams so it's difficult to market hockey over there?

Also, if more Norwegians and Danes, for e.g., made it into the NHL or were more of a threat in the international play, it might increase popularity? I find it strange for this rivalry to become too intense. The countries are small so for either to despise the other seems excessive but that's just my opinion. If one succeeds, it's a good example for the other and they can analyze and evaluate their own hockey program. What do they have to change or tinker with so they can have their own success and so on.

What is puzzling is Sweden. And Finland, to a degree. They've traditionally had the most success in the NHL and it's the Swedish Leagues that either other Scandinavians want to emulate or surpass but what is the popularity there nowadays? And who do Swedes and Finns cheer for if their teams are defeated? Do they cheer for Danes or Norwegians ever? :)

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
In football the Danes always plays proper football, while the Norwegians, (due to our heavy bonestructure and thick legs made for standing still on mountaintops or in the forest), mainly kick it as far away as we can. By chance, we got a human calculator as national coach and he understood this after watching millions of hours of kick and run, and used it to our benefit, put the tallest goon on top, and suddenly we made it to two playoffs. Think it was a hard pill for the Danes to swallow, and some rivalry came out of it. Earlier, we always wanted the Danes to go as far as possible, but maybe because they called us mountain monkeys at some point, not sure the enthusiasm is equally strong now. If they entertain it probably is, but they had some world class players earlier that they maybe don't have anymore? Things are changing a bit though in football, as Norway actually qualified for the U21 EC this year, for the first time ever? We have some very good young players, many second generation Norwegians, that have techical skills (and slim legs). Games between Denmark and Norway might be Worth watching from a neutral spectator in some years, and maybe give the rivalry a fresh start:)
In general, I think most people wants the other Nordic countries to win. A bit off topic, but if you ever watched the Eurovision song contest where the TV audiences in every county votes by sms or phone for different songs, they always give their neighbours top score, Nordics included. Even countries that has been at war does this. Go Denmark!! (You sausages:)

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
I am Canadian/Danish, moved to Denmark in 09. And I have to say I thought Denmark and Sweden hated each other. But I was quite suprised to see how negative Norwegians perceive danes and it almost seems like they hate danes when they play. Ive honestly never heard a norwegian cheer for Denmark or say anything Nice. I remember reading in here in 2003 When Denmark moved up to the a group, a bunch of Norwgians were like, tss whatever we don't care about Denmark.

Some actually wrote, I hope they go back down, they don't belong in wintersports.

Im not trying to start anything, or stating that this is the full truth, im just telling how ive perceived things and the media's reactions.

I haven't lived in Denmark long enough to form a personal opinion, and I do know about the whole "Fjeldabe" comment a few years back, that was taken a bit to serious by Norwegians.

Not sure why it's like that, but Norwegians have historically felt inferior when it comes to many things vs Danes and Swedes. Then all of a sudden we found oil and got very rich, excelled in some sports but maybe didn't get the brains and manners with it. Concerning the media, it's quite funny as I have always perceived the Danish media to be pretty abusive of Norwegians, while the Danes have the oposite impression. One reason might be that the biggest tabloids in Norway has turned into ansolute garbage, and easily quoted from by their Danish counterparts. As for hockey, I should also be noted that the sport in Norway is a working man's sport, unlike any other sport in Norway, or hockey in other countries I believe? It's spreading out now, but historically and yet still, the epi center lays in the eastern working class part of Oslo, where the general lingo can be a bit rough, especially compared to skiing fans etc.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway

1. Now days it’s got to be the Rangers, because of Zuccarello of course. As already someone else have stated in this thread, the other popular teams are The Redwings, Flyers and Pens.

2. I personally cheer for booth Denmark and Sweden. Only game I’m not cheering for them is when we play against them. There is this big rivalry thing with the Sweds in the Norwegian press about cross-country skiing. The Norwegian media are teasing the Sweds about skiing and the Sweds are doing the same the opposite way. When it comes to Denmark it’s all about soccer. The Norwegian media and the Danish media are always teasing each other. We Norwegians are “mountain apes†and the Norwegian press are writing some other jokes about the Danes. The Danes are a better soccer nation, they have always been that and they will always be.

3. I give some attention to some of the Danish players, and a few Swedish players as well.

4. Mats Zuccarello

The conclusion is that we Norwegians should learn more from the Sweds when it comes to hockey. They are the big brother and we have to thank the Sweds for letting more Norwegian players come in to their leagues to play.

Hypno Toad

Mar 26, 2011
Northern Minnesota
Thanks for the answers everyone!

Norwegians are gritty and tough by nature so I would have loved it if Norway developed a presence in the NHL.

I try to watch as many football (soccer) games involving Norway and Norwegians. Huseklepp, Hangeland, and Elyounoussi are my favorite players and I love following them. I hope the day comes when I can do that with the NHL.

Is hockey at least growing in Norway? I plan on trying to get a job there after my education so who knows!

Hypno Toad

Mar 26, 2011
Northern Minnesota
I mean, how can't yuo love these jerseys?
7e834cee44744bd89c3e634.png

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark

What is it with you americans? Are you tired of starting your own wars, that you have to start ones here too?:P:P:P:P

Im not Norwegian, but as I dane, I would say that it depends on the sport......I have to admit that my goodwill towards Norway in hockey isn't as big as it should be....Mainly for the simple reason that they beat us every single time. Even when they had worse teams than us.

When it comes to football, its different...I would always root for Sweden and Norway when they don't play us...And would always root for Norway to beat the swedes....

Its the whole Big Brother/Little Brother/Drunk Brother thing....(could not help myself)

In football the Danes always plays proper football, while the Norwegians, (due to our heavy bonestructure and thick legs made for standing still on mountaintops or in the forest), mainly kick it as far away as we can. By chance, we got a human calculator as national coach and he understood this after watching millions of hours of kick and run, and used it to our benefit, put the tallest goon on top, and suddenly we made it to two playoffs. Think it was a hard pill for the Danes to swallow, and some rivalry came out of it. Earlier, we always wanted the Danes to go as far as possible, but maybe because they called us mountain monkeys at some point, not sure the enthusiasm is equally strong now. If they entertain it probably is, but they had some world class players earlier that they maybe don't have anymore? Things are changing a bit though in football, as Norway actually qualified for the U21 EC this year, for the first time ever? We have some very good young players, many second generation Norwegians, that have techical skills (and slim legs). Games between Denmark and Norway might be Worth watching from a neutral spectator in some years, and maybe give the rivalry a fresh start:)
In general, I think most people wants the other Nordic countries to win. A bit off topic, but if you ever watched the Eurovision song contest where the TV audiences in every county votes by sms or phone for different songs, they always give their neighbours top score, Nordics included. Even countries that has been at war does this. Go Denmark!! (You sausages:)

All that is true.....except for the fact that Norway apparently only remembers Drillo's good years....I love so many things about Norway, but your feelings about Drillos coaching are bewildering......

Oh And football isn't changing....We have ruled you(and Sweden) in that sport for 6-7 years now. And we have the best generation for a decade coming:p

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
About Danmark and Norway in football it hasn't so much to do with Norway as it has to do with Drillo's football philosophy that is very much a thorn in the eyes for Danish football fans. Today Norwegian football in Danish eyes have become a "trade mark" for ugly football. So its a battle of aesthetics -> probably a fan response that Danish football should never be like that.
A danish NT coach should know that such kind of tactics are unacceptable for danish fans.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
You mentioned Minnesota, and the Norway U18 team and one of the hockey academies goes there once a year, playing St Olaf and the state teams in NIT Bauer. and Stattuck some times. St Olaf came to Norway a long time ago and played some games too. Concerning the wars, don't worry about it. You'll get the Nobel Peace price regardless. And as mentioned with the Norwegian football team, the human calculator (Drillo) came back and struggle quite a bit. His nick name is Drillo, as he was a big dribler in his days, something that he prohibits as a coach. His stint # 2 is the best thing that ever happend to....hockey. Football is loosing ground rapidly while hockey is gaining poplularity, with a steady increase in media attention, televised games and spectators. Hopefully it will continue.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So let me hear what are the current Norwegians jokes about Danes??

I guess the Dane that shot the white moose (Albin was it?) might have give rise to some good ones.......
Danes are still constantly send to hospital after trying to ski downhill or get lost in Norway while hiking having to be found by helicopter, so that should also be useful in creating nicknames...

NB: I liked the self irony Tunnelundefaret about Norwegians having thick bone-structure because you stand still on mountainsides or in the forest.
See that is what give our brotherly relationship spice!!

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Good game yesterday btw! Too much hockey going on, and Rangers playing at the same time as the Swedes, and I have a Swedish friend that follow all the Norwegian games and bombs me with sms'es so hard to keep it up. He is very supportive of both Danes and Norwegians btw:) Gonna be an exciting game tonight! Tollefsen called it a "hate game". So much for brotherly love:)

Not sure what the jokes are on the Danes these days. Grew up with molbo histories, but they are kinda your own on your own (or at Molbos at least) expence. Love Danish movies. My mother was working for Dansk Radio ages ago, and asked her the other day why and how we differ and I suggested you appeared like our smarter but somewhat unhealthy catholic brother, and I think she said something about an influential lutheran priest that had a more liberal view of things than our calvinist, pietist priest that always have told us never to have fun. That's why you excell in beer, litterature, films, porn and happieness, and play entertaining football. While we had a sober moment when dividing the North Sea, and produce world class cross country long distance machosists. And as ususally most likely will beat you tonight, despite your egde in talent.

Hypno Toad

Mar 26, 2011
Northern Minnesota
I have family in Drammen and may have a possible job opportunity in Lørenskog. I just have to finish my education first and try to learn some (or a lot) of Bokmal before moving.

What are these two places (Dramme, Lørenskog) like?

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
I have family in Drammen and may have a possible job opportunity in Lørenskog. I just have to finish my education first and try to learn some (or a lot) of Bokmal before moving.

Bokmål = Danish. You'll be fine.

Both fairly close to Oslo. Only been to Drammen. 50 000 people, and some people commuting to Oslo. Lørenskog actually has a pretty good hockey club. Drammen has been shaped up quite well in recent years from not having a reputation of being the pretties place, but now quite rapidly increasing real estate prices. A lot of people move to Lørenskog from Oslo to live, as normal people can afford a house there. Think it's ok.

Was just looking to find out what the joke was on the Danes, and only came over this: http://www.b.dk/nationalt/danske-maend-er-de-mest-brystfikserede
Pretty much summarizes my post above:)

Edit: Sorry, mistook you for Justinov. The article says that Danish men stears the longest a women's cleavages. You can practice bokmål (Danish) on it:).

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town

Drammen is a nice small town (60.000 inhb, urban population 100.000). Its called the "river town" because of the river :laugh: And well a person from Drammen is called a drammenser and people from other parts of country think of drammensere as weirdos with a bad taste of humor. Also the town got its own brewery, train station, McDonalds, an okey soccer team and a handball team. + Lots of immigrants and drug abuse. All in all a ****** place, but i like it :laugh:

Lørenskog is pretty much the same, but without the river, soccer team and handball team. But they got Carew from inter milan oh wait hahaha :laugh:

And im from the Drammen region, so i know what im talking about :laugh: :laugh:

Anyways go for the job in Lørenskog and Drammen is a nice little town, but Hokksund and Mjøndarn are still much better than Drammen :)

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Bokmål = Danish.

As a have family in Norway I can say that bokmål really is danish spoken with a norwegian dialect. You just have to get used to the intonation then it's easy and vice versa goes for Norwegians in Denmark.
In writing it's almost the same, except the Norwegians made the spelling reform like sjokolade instead of danish chokolade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad