Question for Kings fans (Drew Doughty)

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
How good is Drew Doughty? I got a good chance of really seeing him play in 2010 for Team Canada. His stats don't show it but he was easily one of the most impressive players on the ice. He had a 59 point season that year. Since then his point totals have dipped, and I havent seen enough Kings games to evaluate his play. I just remembered being extremely impressed in 2010. Is his decrease in scoring due to more defensive responsibilities? Flat out was 2010 his biggest peak thus far? From a Jet's fan, im curious.

You hit the nail on the head right there.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
i think one of the reasons why Quick is so good is because of how Doughty locks down players. With these 2 on the ice, you have an incredible combination that limits the best of players. His ability to crunch tons of minutes makes him worth his weight in gold. I think from a general viewpoint, he's a lock to be top 7. From there, I think you'll have a flux of differnet opinions all the way to top 3.

Dropdapuck

Jul 21, 2010
During the regular season he would be a lock for the top 5 except for the fact that he seems to use the early part of the season to get into top shape. However, in important games like the playoffs, his game elevates. He has that special "it' factor. Like others have said, I wouldn't trade him for any defenseman in the league.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
I would not take any defenseman currently in the league over Doughty, including Chara and Weber. I would have to think about taking Karlsson for a couple seconds, and still end up picking Doughty.

There are only a handful of defensemen that I have ever seen play since I became a fan in 1988 that I would have taken over Doughty: Lidstrom, Pronger, Bourque, Chelios. That's it. Not Niedermayer. Not Macinnis. Not Coffey.

HolyShot*

Only two defenceman I would take over him: Weber, Chara.

No way. Weber doesn't come close to DDs offensive game. Chara is good but he's getting old and was never as good as DD offensively. That leaves Karlsson and he's pretty small, don't know how good he is defensively. Ill stick with doughts.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Yup, Chara is almost done and Weber doesn't have the offensive explosiveness like Drew. I mean, come on, God like...

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I love how people say he's in the top 10. Well what 9 d men could possibly be ahead of him? And he's not overrated. He's a future multiple norris trophy d man.

Reading that earlier, I laughed even harder than I did the initial time. Pretty embarrassing what so called "hockey fans" say. The butthurt was strong amongst the "OC" crowd. I already have a mental image of Drew receiving another Gold medal. Hell, maybe a couple more...

You would think fans, even rival ones, could objectively examine a player, their talent, and their impact on games of varying importance. I guess that's too hard for certain people...

Last edited:

KingKopitar11*

Karlsson isn't close to doughty defensively. He has no physical game at all, he's a one dimensional defenseman and doughty has a great all around game.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
No doubt Karlsson is extremely impressive and I believe his deficiencies in the defensive zone get blown out of proportion, but when I'm talking about DEFENSEMEN, I care about one thing - DEFENSE. Drew Doughty is quite a bit better than him in that regard. That's why I'll take him without hesitation. I'll rely on our forwards for goal scoring and our defense for helping Quick out. Drew has a pretty underrated mean streak too. Dat hip check!

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
How good is Drew Doughty? I got a good chance of really seeing him play in 2010 for Team Canada. His stats don't show it but he was easily one of the most impressive players on the ice. He had a 59 point season that year. Since then his point totals have dipped, and I havent seen enough Kings games to evaluate his play. I just remembered being extremely impressed in 2010. Is his decrease in scoring due to more defensive responsibilities? Flat out was 2010 his biggest peak thus far? From a Jet's fan, im curious.

I know the Kings fans above me sound like they're boasting because their measure of this kid is universally higher than the rest of HF Boards.

But I believe they are being overly modest/conservative. I believe this is because DD8's points haven't been that high so it's difficult to say he's as good as he is, especially where there are guys like Karlsson out there who score more than most first line forwards.

I don't believe that the highest compliment/ranking of DD8 is a top 5 defenseman. I think he is a top 1 or 2 defenseman in the league meaning at times he's the best defenseman in the world. (And it's especially notable when he plays in the biggest of games including world tournament games like the Olympics. )

I only "measure" a player by the one thing I care about most with regards to hockey games. The most important thing is to win. And the player that affects his team to win the most and also stops the other team from doing things to win is, for lack of a better word, the biggest winner. DD8 may be the biggest winner of a hockey player as a defenseman.

I don't feel he is (just) a top five defenseman. I feel he's a top five player in the world, regardless of position. People seem to universally consider Steven Stamkos, the one guy drafted before DD8, as a top 5 player in the league. I say DD8s ability to control and win games makes him a better player than a center who isn't that strong defensively (no PK work either unlike all the centers on the Kings) and is not good in faceoffs. He is a shoot first player who doesn't make his linemates better. In a sense, although he isn't as talented one-on-one like Malkin, he's like a Malkin in terms of being able to control the game in his zone...except he usually plays more minutes than Malkin. He plays in every single major situation the Kings have if he's not already blown. Only the very best players in the world can say that.

That's my crazy take on it.

(also, even the Kings fans here are noticing it, a year ago people were saying on HFB that Pietrangelo clearly is one slot better and Letang is probably better than Doughty. Now, Doughty is starting to be recognized and better than both of those guys)

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Doughty came into the league as an 18 year old in 08/09 and immediately became our best defenseman. 08/09 also happened to be the first year the Kings had made any kind of push for the playoffs at a certain point.

In 09/10 he won a Gold medal on the top defensive pairing and led the Kings to their first playoff birth in seven years. Norris nomination. 19 years old.

10/11, the Kings made the playoffs again. Doughty finished 10th in Norris voting despite seeing a drop off in points largely due to a rise in PK minutes and overall increase in qualcomp. Since then, Doughty hasn't seen the ice without staring down the opposing team's top line.

11/12, won a Stanley Cup. Arguably robbed of a Conn Smythe only due to record setting statistical performance from one Jon Quick. 21 years old.

12/13, the Kings lose three of their top six defense to injury. Doughty is asked to take on the shutdown role in all situations. He leads a defense that consists of Rob Scuderi as the only player older than 25 to a top 10 goals against average despite a team save percentage ranked in the 20s. Doughty's burdening of all the defensive responsibilities allows Voynov to break out statistically on the first PP unit. Kings reach the WCF. 22 years old.

So let's recap.

Olympic Gold. Team Canada's best defenseman.

Stanley Cup. Conn Smythe consideration.

The Kings have made the playoffs in every single year he's been in the league since his rookie season, have reached the WCF in the past two seasons, and have won a Stanley Cup.

Norris nomination.

All before the age of 24.

Yeah I would say he's pretty damn good.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
He still is top 5. He's with Chara, Karlsson, Weber, and Suter. I think they are the top 5 in some order, then Subban, Pietrangelo(who gets overhyped)

I like Duncan Keith more than those two -- he was every bit as good in this year's playoffs as DD was the previous year -- and I thought DD was the real Conn Smythe winner in 2012.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
He also replaced Pronger's minutes at one point during the round robin portion of the Olympics.

HolyShot*

The only thing that doughty lacks and why he's not unanimously considered the best d man in the world, is size. If he had size like pronger and stevens and was able to bash the opposing forwards head into the boards then he would hands down be the best in history.

But doughty is still good sized and rugged, durable. He rarely ever gets hurt and is not a liability in any way.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I'd hate to think of our D-without him, I just hope he can come into next year in friggin shape. I think then we'll see him return to Norris form again, not that he's been bad or anything. He has a lot to live up to with the salary he's making now...

Ron*

Top D-man in the league: Doughty.
2nd Top D-man in the league: Voynov.

Unapologetic ridiculously biased Kings fan? A-****ing Goddamned right, you are.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Top D-man in the league: Doughty.
2nd Top D-man in the league: Voynov.

Unapologetic ridiculously biased Kings fan? A-****ing Goddamned right, you are.

Absolutely this. Thinking about having those two on defense for the foreseeable future is an unreal feeling. The future is so bright for this organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad